Newspaper on enclosure floors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainRatbag

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am just zipping up my flame proof suit.... I am definately not knocking anyone that uses it.... many do.
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on it? Do people realise the ink is quite toxic? The ink used is also very cheap and never drys (sets) as it is designed to be read once, then chucked. I am a bookbinder by trade and have worked for newspapers, many a printer has develloped skin conditions from handling the ink and plethra of chemicals used whilst printing. Most printers wear 'surgical' type gloves and face masks due to the toxicity of the ink and chemicals. The printed newspaper continues to let off toxic fumes (roll one up and suck some air thru it, see how it tastes)

The ink is also water based, so wet newspaper lets its ink run. When I was a kid, we used to save papers and give them to the local fish and chip shop to wrap food. Nowadays it is illegal to wrap food 'take away' in newspapers, because the toxic ink is easily leached out of the paper when wet. Thats why take away shops use unprinted paper and large chains (maccas) are obliged by the food regulation authority to use non toxic ink.

I dont use newspaper personally, I wouldnt want my snakes bodies rubbing over toxic ink day in, day out, all thier lives. Even with adequate ventilation, my snakes would be breathing this gunk in high amounts, continuously.

Like I said up front.... I am not knocking anyone who does use it.... I mean it is cheap (free) available and does work well, thousands of herpers swear by it, have been using it for a gazillion years without a problem...... I just wanted to point out that there are some risks (which some might not be aware of)

Yes, I use fake grass, which is probably very toxic too, although I air it and hose it before use (and regularly after that.

What is the best, non toxic substrate that is not bad for reptiles (snakes) and your opinion why :)

OK....... Flame on :lol:

Oh wow. I was unaware of that. Bookbinder sounds like a cool job! Now I feel bad :/

No flaming necessary!
I don't use newspaper but like you said that's personal choice and just because I don't want my pretty snakes stained from rubbing on it!... lol.. and I like to have a clean base easy to see any mess to remove...
oddly enough I use at least three different types of substrate...
Noodles has the breeders choice paper kitty litter...
Gorgeous until recently had the comfey pet wooden kitty litter that looked just like the breeders choice (cant get it any more) so we're trying the Kitty Crumble for the jungles... Will use it up and see... it's rather moist when it first comes out until it dries out... and I don't like it when Gorgeous get's any in her mouth attached to dinner...
and for the BHP's I'm currently using plain paper towel roll, they love to make a mess and in a couple of 900cm it's cheap enough... & they're out on the grass for the main big poops... besides they then use the centre rolls as hides...lol... I have access to a lot of shredded paper at work (gov job) but am concerned its too fine and its very messy to clean up...
So again I think every pet is different... every owner is different... depends on how much time you have and how many you're looking after... happy herping...

I use Repti-bark for my python and lizard... looks good and you can wash it (not the most user friendly especially if you have a lot...) only let down was the out of control price for a 30lt bag...

Most of your information is out of date. The ink used now does dry and is stable. I've been using Sydney Morning Herald for over 10 years, the ink does not come of and does not disolve.
Ive not had newsprint come off on my hands for, probably, 25, 30 years.

Breeders Choice? Made from newspaper.

Most of your information is out of date. The ink used now does dry and is stable. I've been using Sydney Morning Herald for over 10 years, the ink does not come of and does not disolve.
Ive not had newsprint come off on my hands for, probably, 25, 30 years.

Can't afford and have no interest in reading SMH up here...
must be cheap country news printers and all of the free to door papers we get, because print def's still comes off up here on the Tweed/Gold Coast...

Breeders Choice? Made from newspaper.
Yes but compressed... lol...
makes me feel good to know using a recycled product to.. Have a great day

it also looks pretty crappy in a cage especially if theres a pic of Julia Gillard or Eddie Maguire on the front page!!! I do use it in the injured venomous cages only because these are short term recovering snakes and will be released also less of a risk when a cage needs a quick clean without having to remove them constantly. As for my pythons i use Back-2-nature small animal litter which is chemical and additive free, absorbent and dust free recycled paper in a pleasant grey and earthy color. As for fake grass i keep well clear of it due to its failure to contain and absorb moisture from pooling underneath and high maintenance to keep clean also injuries caused to snakes by jagged edges catching onto soft tissue when urinating. But thats my personnal view plenty of others will disagree

I wonder how peanut shell that's been put through a hammer mill would go as a substrate if it was sieved first to get rid of the dust?

It can be brought in bulk reasonably cheap at landscape suppliers.

I wonder how peanut shell that's been put through a hammer mill would go as a substrate if it was sieved first to get rid of the dust?

It can be brought in bulk reasonably cheap at landscape suppliers.

Probably cause peanut allergy.

Agreed Peter. The ink is not toxic, it is soy-based.

I haven't seen any evidence that newspaper is toxic as reptile substrate only some outdated opinion. As one of the most popular substrates used, you would think that you'd hear of problems if they exist. I know a lot of the compressed pelletted products hide dust and give keepers a false souce of cleanliness, as the urate and feaces dust falls through to the bottom of the pellets. They also dry out the environment causing low humidity which can be bad.

I bought a pack of 1/2 size butcher's paper and use it that instead of newspaper. Every time I handle newspaper, I get the ink on my fingers - wet or dry. As it happens, snakes often find their way under the paper and then they come out with "black eyebrows". It looks awful.

Last edited:
I've never had a stained snake from newspaper. Easiest option and be buggered if I'm paying top dollar for other substrate.

I keep albinos on newspaper and if it was going to 'stain' the animal an albino would show it up more than any other.

No markings to date on them or any other of my animals after 20+ years of keeping.

I am using critter crumble in some of my caging now, so you can teach an old dog new tricks :)

But i still rate newspaper as one of the best forms of substrate.

Good question, Captain! I can see now why they call you "ratbag":)! (jokes). Throwing the cat among the pidgeons.

I've also heard both sides of the argument for and against newspaper. I use it for rehabs but have found ink coming off on my hands when urinated on (not by me), so chose not to use it for my snakes. Just a personal choice. I currently use poly cages without substrate (just spray and wipe clean) and change furniture regularly to provide security (hides), keep the snakes interested and give them some purchase over which to move. Works for me, anyway. Melamine and any protected wood surface would also do.

Attachments

• poly cage 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    poly cage 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 129
  • poly cage 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    poly cage 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 110
  • poly cage 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    poly cage 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 135
Well, the Cairns Post or Cairns Compost as it's affectionately known, must be an inferior newspaper. :D

Just checked one of our local newspapers we had lying around and if I rub my finger across the letters in one of the articles a few times my finger ends up with a big black smudge on it

this is why when I was using paper as a substrate I was only using paper towel that didn't have any pictures or anything printed on it now I use coir peat

Just checked one of our local newspapers we had lying around and if I rub my finger across the letters in one of the articles a few times my finger ends up with a big black smudge on it

this is why when I was using paper as a substrate I was only using paper towel that didn't have any pictures or anything printed on it now I use coir peat

I just did the same thing and nothing came off. Weird or what?

As many others have said, I haven't had inky fingers in years. Never had staining when I was using it as substrate either. I use butcher's paper now though, simply for the fact that it's more convenient... unless there is a nice full page photo of Ms. Gillard, I use those when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back