Free Range Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
had the same thing in south gippsland ,they were laying baits in the state forest,i was walking the dog through,on a lead obviously,asked them what about other animals digging up the baits,reply was we put signs up warning that we are baiting,to which i replied,lucky the lacies can read then

had the same thing in south gippsland ,they were laying baits in the state forest,i was walking the dog through,on a lead obviously,asked them what about other animals digging up the baits,reply was we put signs up warning that we are baiting,to which i replied,lucky the lacies can read then

I've heard they're pretty quick on the uptake (Lacies that is, not DSE):)!

Rats make no discernable behavioural changes when snake scent is introduced. Bush rats make some minor variations but soon return to their normal behaviour. Dont waste your time with the skins though they would look nice draped over the beams.

I asked the same question and was told that they had found lacies could take up to 20 times the dose that kills mammals and survive. cough cough!

Thanks for all the great advice Guys and Gals, some more homework required me thinks, not a decision I enter into lightly as it is a big commitment to maintain a wild animal in captivity.

In the mean time I think I am going to bite the bullet and purchase some electric rodent traps, you bait them and the rodent walks in and zap dead rat, no poison.

ON the baiting issue my understanding is that the legal procedure is to flatten out a sandy pad, bury baits without 1080, monitor the site to see whose footprints visit the site, then after confirming ferals visiting the site bury 1080 bait. There are also restrictions on depth an distance from boundaries etc. Whilst most cow cockies think that the procedure is get on a quad bike with a bucket of 1080 and chuck it over your shoulder as you drive around. Should take it up with NPWS if its a problem in your area.

Last edited:
Its also illegal and bad juju to keep a wild animal in captivity..... nothing to do with commitment?

Your best bet is to keep your captive bread snake in an outdoor enclosure, or encourage wild ones to hang around. Thats your 2 main choices.... other than breaking the law;)

Procede with caution

Sorry if that upsets but that's how I think of them regardless of how they are bred, even a caged animal is entittled to some quality of life and as a keeper it is your commitment to provide that. I can understand that the animal adapts to its environment from birth and that changing this environment puts uneccesary stress on the animal but IMO they are still wild animals. And no I'm not about to cruise down to the rainforest grab a snake and chuck it in a cage.

Last edited:
Oh, ok, I see what you mean. I thought you meant a wild caught one. All the home made pet ones are deemed captive bread...... wild means 'from the wild' or captured wildlife. ;)

If you love something, set it free........If it doesn't come back,

Hunt it down and kill it!

You tricky bugga beard, I was just scrolling down to add that bit and saw your hidden last line :lol:

Is a captive bread snake a type of snake that just eats bread....:)

No silly, it only eats bread it knows has been freshly captured :facepalm:

Actually tho...... our local baker was electrocuted at easter :shock:

He accidently stood on a bun..........

And the currant ran up his leg! :shock::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back