Juvenile Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODSNAKE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day all I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I picked up my Darwin today ;) and i'm a tad exited. I brought him home in a pillowcase and with a few nerves extracted him from it to let us get to know each other a little better, he seemed quite happy so i introduced him to his new home, all was good, he went in and was checking it out fine till i tried to close the door behind him and caught the tip of his tail in it! DOH!! Hope he hasn't got a long memory, he didn't seemed to impressed!
A couple of hours have passed since and he "looks" happy enough sitting on his branch.
I have had umpteen lizards over the years and the odd snake but i have never really set up the whole enclosure with lights etc so i am brand new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to getting to know some people on here as i'm sure i'll have lots of questions.

No. 1 How can i go about posting up some Pics?

Cheers Phill

Hi and welcome to mostly a great forrum best to let your new albino settle In before handling freighting around syresses them a little and be careful closing the door
best before asking advice to let us all know what sort of encloser you can post pics by clicking insert image icon when you post and then click browse and it will
inert a pic from my pictures on your computer

Thanks Pythrulz, yes i think he is a little stressed, i just opened the door to see if he was up for a little pat and he struck me on the hand not serious he didn't get me but i'll be sure to let him settle in!

My confuser seems to be having one of it's slow days :( i'll try some more pics.

And by the way it's not an Albino.DSCF3374.jpgDSCF3375.jpgDSCF3373.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3369.jpg
    DSCF3369.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF3372.jpg
    DSCF3372.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Those standard Darwin Carpets to me are probably the best looking ones you can get.
Congrats on such a good looking animal.

Thanks Niall, yeah he's an awesome looking Fella, caught my eye straight away, only went in there to get some Flea powder for the Cat!!

That's a great looking Darwin mate. Welcome to the forum and have fun.

nice snake looks good. I think you might want to cage your lights save anything happening to him

I wasn't a big fan on Darwin's until now that's got to be the nicest I've seen. I think I need to get my list of got to haves out and add one to it.

nice snake looks good. I think you might want to cage your lights save anything happening to him
G'day rockethead, i know what ya saying but he's had a good sniff around and i hope he'll be right, i know where he came from and all their lights are exposed so i think he should be Kool, thanks for your reply Bud.

I wasn't a big fan on Darwin's until now that's got to be the nicest I've seen. I think I need to get my list of got to haves out and add one to it.
Cheers Bud and ya right he's a Kool looking Dude.

Last edited:
Nice Darwin but as previously stated, cage your lights. He won't be so pretty when he coils around them and burns himself. Better safe than sorry. :)

Nice Darwin but as previously stated, cage your lights. He won't be so pretty when he coils around them and burns himself. Better safe than sorry. :)
Point taken akarsha, i'll do that, Thanks.

Couple more pics :)DSCF3383.jpgDSCF3380.jpg

Hello again, I need to do some maintenance on my tank (cage lights Etc) but today is his first feed since i brought him home, obviously i need to take him out to carry out the work, should i feed him and let him be for a couple of days or do what i have to then feed him? My main concern is to not stress him anymore than necessary. Any ideas?
Cheers Phill.

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of darwins. I like the classic Darwins over the albinos any day (Thats probably why i bought one). You've got a good looking critter, nice head pattern. How old and how long is he?

If it was me I'd do cage the lights straight away - don't take chances. Taking him from the enclosure for a short while won't stress him out, just make sure he's warm when you feed him. I've never had my darwin refuse a feed even after being out of the enclosure for a while - he's a full on guts (thinking of changing his name to hoover)

Phill Thats a good size darwin you probably your snakes way if saying leave me alone It would just been a warning strike nice sixe encloser though as stated buy some wire cages for the lights dont want your darwin geting burnt you can buy them from any decemt pet store on lineenjoy your new pet

G'day Ricochet and thanks for the welcome. From what i can gather he's about 32mnths old and roughly a metre long. yeah i'm onto the lights just went and got some mesh. I fed him for the first time yesterday, didn't want to take it from my hand but he took it of the branch no worries, awesome to watch. What do you mean by "Het" Darwin?

Cheers Phill.

Lights are now caged :)

Attachments

• DSCF3400.jpg
    DSCF3400.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3399.jpg
    DSCF3399.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF3404.jpg
    DSCF3404.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The non technical explanation -Het for Albino - ie. carries the albino gene, but does not display the "coloration". Mother Albino, Father Het.

For the techo details do a search and everything is explained from percentages (chance of carrying the gene) to expected offspring from parings.

Regards Col

Just had a squizz at your pics of the lights. IMO i'd put bases on them to stop him from going up inside the wire. The mesh also looks fairly close and may heat up. Just my thoughts

Cheers Col,Point taken on light cages, but surely he wouldn't squeeze himself into a spot that would be Hot to touch?

Cheers Col,Point taken on light cages, but surely he wouldn't squeeze himself into a spot that would be Hot to touch?

mate... you'd be suprised what they squeeze into, especially when its warm.. remember they dont feel heat like us warm blooded. =) many threads on here about poor burnt snakes...

just be very carefull. if you look up the herp shop online, you will see some light cages, (kinda like wire pencil tins from office works) yours are good, just need to be based and it should be ok.

nice darwin though, good to see a happy owner =)

The Herp Shop - Australia

^^^ go to this site, on the left hand side look click "lighting eqipment" scoll down until you find them, just gives you an idea. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back