Alternatives to Illustrator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I know a few on here are designers - can you please let me know if there are any alternatives (preferably free) to Illustrator (Adobe) to make a logo for a local veterinarian clinic.

Thanks kindly in advance (the animals are thanking you too).

Thanks for the smart comment - you don't think I already did that then? So... In your smartness - which one have YOU used personally and found to be effective for our purpose?

BTW - that was the exact search I got - But it was hard to decipher which would be the best for our purpose....

Anyway... thank you...

Well there's not really anything free that compares to Illustrator - but there are a few programs like; Inkscape and GIMP that you could try.

OR, you could download the free 30-day Illustrator trial from Adobe's site - assuming you won't need any more than 30 days to create a logo..?

hehe... Thanks Sam... We've used our 30 day Illustrator trial already (on other logos).

I have Gimp - so I guess that's a good start - maybe my partner can figure out a good way to use it for the purpose - I found it quite difficult - but she's far more gifted and talented than I am :)

Oh - side note - my GF says it lacks vectors and she's a vector designer :(

And here I was thinking Fuscus was just telling you to get a gimp to design it for you..............:rolleyes:

+1 to GIMP. Loved it until I could afford Adobe.
I also used Ulead Photo Impact a few years ago. Was fun for smaller jobs. Not sure how it is these days but might be worth a look.

Corel Draw is a vector design program - and has a free trial version available.

Also - if you have used up your 30 day trail on designing 'other logos' and now need a graphics program to design more logos... maybe you should look at purchasing?

Cheers

Get the photoshop trial, use the pen tool (a vector tool) and save as an eps file. Not as refined as illustrator but will easily do the job.

Corel Draw is a vector design program - and has a free trial version available.

Also - if you have used up your 30 day trail on designing 'other logos' and now need a graphics program to design more logos... maybe you should look at purchasing?

Cheers

Definitely in the future - but right now that sort of cash isn't in our limits and this job is for a friend not for payment.

It's certainly something we'll get in the future.

Thanks Fuscus - we'll look at that link :)

*cough* piratebay/BitTorrent *cough*

Wow sorry I'm abit sick, maybe you should just buy it ;)

Thanks for the smart comment - you don't think I already did that then? So... In your smartness - which one have YOU used personally and found to be effective for our purpose?

BTW - that was the exact search I got - But it was hard to decipher which would be the best for our purpose....

Anyway... thank you...

Wasn't meant to be smart, just always have wanted to give that 'let me google that for you' thing a go. Hence the cheeky tongue after the post.

Look at the second program on the list, I believe it may be what you're chasing. I myself own Illustrator so don't use any of these programs and cannot personally comment on how well they work but the little review given on this website sounds good to me.

2. Inkscape
Inkscape is a program that gives amazing vector effects. It is designed on a cross-vector platform that allows the user to see effects applied in real time. The advanced features it includes are arbitrary transformations, opacity, and gradients. It has all the capabilities of Corel draw or adobe illustrator. This one, however, is free. Windows and Mac compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back