What's the signs of snakes ready to breed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
I put my male Stimson into my pair of females Stimsons enclosure out of curiosity today. One of the female and the male kept S up to each. Then they would lung at each other and kept flicking there tounges out at each other. So what would this mean agrresion or breeding instincts.

Ok I'm not to worried atm about sexing them right now as I removed the so called male out and put him back into his enclosure. So I'm leaving the so called 2 females back together again until I get them sexed again before next breeding season. I'm wondering if I should get them sexed twice or is once enough to see if they are 1 male 2 females.

Last edited:
I would only bother to pop newborn hatchies, best to get older snakes probed only.

take it to a good reptile vet! they will be able to give you a good answer! only thing most dont really like popping as it can hurt the snake! from what vets have told me! i think i used to pay about $14 a snake and like $80 for actually going in to see them!

Why should popping be used on hatchies and not older snakes. Whats the pros and negaives about probing and popping. If done incorectly can they cause ireversible damage to the snakes. Such as not being able to breed sucessfuly anymore. Is there any reading articles to read up on popping and probing.

Why should popping be used on hatchies and not older snakes. Whats the pros and negaives about probing and popping. If done incorectly can they cause ireversible damage to the snakes. Such as not being able to breed sucessfuly anymore. Is there any reading articles to read up on popping and probing.

Popping on older snakes can cause muscle and or spine damage if not done correctly, adult snakes have good muscle control compared to hatchlings!
The reason hatchies are easy to pop is they have very little muscle control and pop easily if done correctly.
Probing if done correctly is very safe and will cause no harm to a snake, just make sure who you take your snake to is VERY experienced!

another option to try,if u think they are 2 females together is still bang the seperate male in there after taking the other one out,watch them and see if they mate,taking the other agressor out may entice him to mate the female as well with scent from singley kept male in there,also u will know when the females ready if you have cycled them enough to be ready

seeing them copulate will show you what u have,why wait till next season

a not ready female may get defensive of an animal being introduced that shes unfamiliar with

I put 2 males in with a female(stimmies). Seems to work. Certain times of the year they all become agitated, thats when I introduce them.

or take out the possable male and swap in the known male,and watch them,if you have one female and have cycled them,let there reactions to her tell u what u have,swap the 2 possable boys over a bit and the scent of each other could also help stimulate them into breeding

saves waiting another 12 months to try to breed them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back