eastern water skink enclosure pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cav3man

Reaction score
hey everybody im just wondering if you got any eastern water skinks would you show me a few pics of your tank set up just lookling for some more ideas :))

28.04 (9).jpg07.05 (10).jpg28.04 (12).jpg
07.05 (3).jpg

This is great for the Lizard, ordinary for the viewer as in this environment these guys tend to feel like they are in the wild so they hide at any perceived threat (including Humans). He seems to love it though, he bathes, head-bobs & takes the occasional swim to chase the fish. Although it is hard to see due to the plant growth, there is alot of room for these guys to run around & find a nice spot to sun bathe.

Last edited:
Here a pic of my setup

DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1844.jpg

DSCF1917.jpg

three foot tank with pond down one end and a basking light over a bush rock with some
plants they love it.

Some old fish tanks with pond and land areas. Some live and fake plants but I have been inspired to try more live plants and moss. :)

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 4foot-refit.jpg
    4foot-refit.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 334
  • ews-w-retf.jpg
    ews-w-retf.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 293
  • new-tank-spot2-800px.jpg
    new-tank-spot2-800px.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 401
Those tanks look awesome, never really thought of keeping water skinks. What are they like to keep? would you guys recommend them? Thanks

View attachment 251055View attachment 251054View attachment 251053
View attachment 251058

This is great for the Lizard, ordinary for the viewer as in this environment these guys tend to feel like they are in the wild so they hide at any perceived threat (including Humans). He seems to love it though, he bathes, head-bobs & takes the occasional swim to chase the fish. Although it is hard to see due to the plant growth, there is alot of room for these guys to run around & find a nice spot to sun bathe.

you should post a thread with pics of your enclosures along with this one, They are some of the best enclosures I have seen :)

Really liking the setups, guys. Hadn't considered keeping these as pets but we had a lot of friendly ones in the backyard when we lived in Qld. Was good enough for me when they came to visit. :)

Shreda, have you ever noticed them actually catch fish?
I have only just sold that little guy to Shreda. He looks like he is going to be very happy in there.
Mine catch feeder shrimp and small feeder fish which I have to keep restocking in their ponds. I have a photo some where with one at the edge of the pond with a fish it just caught in its mouth.

fishfoodsm.jpg
Found the photo. A juvenile with his first catch.

Last edited:
What kind of temp's do you guys use for these enclosures? My 4x2x2 is 34-36 under the basing light, around 30 high up on the hot side and 25 lower down on the hot side and cool side with the water stays around 18-20, I would love some Eastern Water Skinks to join my Eastern Water dragons in this enclosure!

IMG_0234.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0232.jpgIMG_0210.jpg

I would love to add some more live plants to my enclosure, and the last one is my little dragon finishing off a cricket :)

What kind of temp's do you guys use for these enclosures? My 4x2x2 is 34-36 under the basing light, around 30 high up on the hot side and 25 lower down on the hot side and cool side with the water stays around 18-20, I would love some Eastern Water Skinks to join my Eastern Water dragons in this enclosure!
The enclosure itself would be fine for Water Skinks once the Water Dragons are too big to live in there and you have moved them to an upgraded home.
I wouldn't recommend keeping the two species together. An adult Water Dragons would likely make a meal of a Water Skink.
Back the basking spot down to 30-34 for Eastern Water Skinks. They do best with temps from 24-26. If they come from a cooler region you may want to treat them more like Southern Water Skinks and have no basking lamp.

ive tried mine on fish they wernt really interested but i gotta set up a new enclosure one day for them cant wait :)
Mine only eat fish or feeder shrimp if they can catch their own from the pond and will not touch a freshly killed one offered to them.
Are you going to share photos of your own set up Cav3man?
I am interested to see if your Eastern Water Skinks look like the ones I purchased from SA which are smaller and darker than any others I have seen.

Attachments

• full_length_adult-crop.jpg
    full_length_adult-crop.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 172
  • ews-sa-hand.jpg
    ews-sa-hand.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I would love some of these to keep.
I use to spend hours as a kid catching them on the river banks of the murray when I was bored of fishing with my Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back