Help! Skin Problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramzee86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i just bought this jungle and it has some scale damage, any idea what it may be and what i can do to fix it?

Cheers !

IMG_1277copy.jpg
IMG_1284copy.jpg

is it just me or do they look like cigarette burns? only a vet can honestly say what it is tho so good luck

...the first pick looks to my eyes like a tick hope I'm wrong, in the yellow (um hope I can explain where I'm looking :rolleyes:) second from right.. bottom side, directly down the pic from the right side mark

...another look on the second pic looks like something there too, towards the bottom of left yellow spot.....hope some one can understand what I'm saying lol

Hmm i understand what your saying... its just really hard because the snake is so aggressive, i dont know what to do :|

Looks like some type of scale rot to me. But I'm just goen off pix I've seen on the net. Vet would be the way to go.

Hey guys I took it I a vet about a week ago, the snake had slight RI and many ticks that I got rid of... I have some antibiotics for it etc. it just shed today though and those areas picture are know like this. Is it better or worse!?
af2525cd-0a2f-c848.jpg

Oh and by the way the snake does look better all round but this? Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Could be just me but before they looked like they were damaged and now they look like a wound. Antibiotics are great if they're working but they aren't always early enough or continued on a long enough course to get rid of the entire infection. I can't tell from the photo very well but if it looks like the areas in question are open to the elements there could be a risk of infection. I'd get it back to a vet as they appear worse now than before. There don't appear to be scales now but that could just be the pic. It's probably also aggressive because it's sore. And yeah the earlier pics did look like burns of some sort. Whatever it is I hope you can get on top of it soon as it doesn't look good. I'd be pissed if I bought a snake in that condition. On second thought I probably wouldn't have bought it at all! Poor snake.

Yeah I'll talk to the vet tomorrow... I never knew the snake was in this condition, if I did I wouldn't have bought it. Seller didn't tell me until it was already in a plane to Melbourne... Ahhh stress!

Wow that's pretty rude. Shame on that seller if you ask me. The worst part is you see the animal and you become attached so quickly that it just becomes something you have to deal with. I wish you all the best with it under these unfair circumstances. Hopefully you'll have a bond with the snake as a result of helping it that's really something special.

Thanks for the kind words... And yeah. I have become a bit attached even though it the most aggressive snake on the planet... Can't imagine the pain and stress it's under but within 10 days the improvements are unreal ( I think) other than those tiny marks it looks fine now, here's a pic!
af2525cd-258d-439f.jpg

well an update,

Shes doing quite well now, doesnt look sick, no ticks and skin damage is all healed up
BUT... it seems that as one problem disappears, another comes.
Ive noticed shes looked a bit constipated the last few weeks so i stopped food till she passed the matter...

Now it looks as though shes passed eggs through. 3 almost the same size as a normal snake egg, but rather hardboiled, and another that looks infertile.
She hasnt been with a male while in my posession but if theyre not eggs, what are they!?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

what the hell ... lol i have no idea about that egg, poo , omelete looking thing ahaha

Mmmmmmmmm, What a mess.
My 2 bobs worth is the skin condition looks identical to burns I have seen before. Could be as simple as unguarded heat source. I wouldn't want to accuse any seller of cigarette burns on an animal.

The egss.........well, they are, mmmmmm, how do I say this. Eggs!

Snakes do have the ability to retain sperm. I have been told that normally this is done in the wild when there is a shortage of males around or if conditions are not favorable for her babies one year she can control things so she doesn't become pregnant as such till the following year. Rarely seen, only the 3rd time I have seen this in many years. Happens more often in the wild if the weather is particularly bad but with modern know how in captive conditions this is rare. So she may have been with a male a year or more ago but without knowing the history its difficult for any new keeper to be prepared for unless given honest info when you buy the animal.

Well, the top problem in my opinion are burns...

The eggs, well... slugs...
I have read that some females will lay eggs, even if a male has not been present... obviously not fertile though.

Hopefully now, just feed her, look after her and she should be on the mends.

I hope you went off at the seller.. That is pretty criminal. No decency there at all. I would be asking for some money back or for them to cover vet bills. You have a cracker of a snake their. I would be very happy (now she is getting better)

Thanks guys. well yeah it took me completely by surprise, neveer ever expected this to happen lol.
So i purchased her, she had:
- Over 100 ticks (Which took a while to locate and remove, but eventually did it!)
- R.I. Which i've treated with about 10 antibiotic injections
- Burns of some sort. (Which are now thankfully completely gone)
- Eggs that were obviously bound from previous times i assume. (I think they have all passed (4 of them)) ... The eggs were almost boiled when opening them, except the 'slug'.
- Scale rot that has been treated
... I did have a bit of a go at the seller, but seeing he is interstate i couldnt do much about it :evil:
He told me none of this info before selling.
I now know to take more precautions when buying -.-
I really didnt expect a seller like that to come from this site.

Im just happy that the snake is scale-rot free, tick free, burn-free, and R.I.-free now. I now know why it was so damn aggressive. And finally, i hope the last of the problems (the eggs) have come out.

My assumption is that it may have been a wild caught jungle, as i can't really believe that a snake in that bad condition could be from an enclosure.
She is a really nice snake and has great potential. i'd love to breed her in future to pass on her great pattern and colour before its too late!

IMG_1423copy.jpg

I actually just laughed at your misfortune.. I'm very sorry to hear about this and good to see the snake is alive and you went through it all for it, but it's pretty funny. Having a snake that just randomly laid some eggs a few weeks after you bought it... Oh god, who ever sold you this snake should be stripped of all his reptiles and his ability to get a license. But yeah hopefully now you get no more problems for many many years ! good luck with your snake man

Hi

You can use feedback for sellers on this forum. Go to the sellers profile page and I am sure there is a section to give feedback.

This way at least you can warn other people who might buy from him/her.

The snake is looking absolutely beautiful and I do hope the temperament is settling down for you.

Poor thing sounds like it has been through the wars !!

What a gorgeous snake. Glad it's doing so well now you have it.

Hi

You can use feedback for sellers on this forum. Go to the sellers profile page and I am sure there is a section to give feedback.

This way at least you can warn other people who might buy from him/her.

The snake is looking absolutely beautiful and I do hope the temperament is settling down for you.

Poor thing sounds like it has been through the wars !!

Screw bad feedback - where's the option for reporting the bastard for animal abuse (at the very least) or poaching from the wild (worst case scenario)? Scumbags like the person who'd do that to such a pretty creature aren't the kind of people who would lose sleep over a bit of bad noise - they need real penalties otherwise they're just gonna laugh and lift the middle finger at everyone.

Yeah its pretty sad, i mean thats all i can really do (leave bad feedback)

But this guys was selling jungles/diamonds and this jungle was the last one left...

my assumption that because he sold all the others they were healthy animals obviously didn't go down well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back