My snake And his temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rissatimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
After stressing to the max last night about montie ( my spotted python) temps not getting to 30,
And be not sleeping just to make sure he was ok coming into a new home and everything... The temps are now good they drop a bit at night.. But he seems to want to be on th e cool side. Wich is 24 in the day but 21 at night... And the warm side sits on around 26-9 at night and 30-4 in the day

Is this normal for him to want to be on the cool side ??? Or am I just a complete stress head when it comes to montie..

Also when you hold a snake are they ment to have any warmth to them? Cause he seems to always be cold ?

Last edited:
Hey ris! I was just wondering was there a reason for making night time temps lower than day? Cos I have both my day and night at 30-34 and was curious since a few peps told me to keep it the same and wanted to know your reasoning behind it ;)

I would say its normal for him to go to the cold side since he is just regulating his body heat. My guess is that you are using a heat mat? I use a heat mat and newspaper setup and when I use my temp gun it shows that it's 30 or 27 sometimes but in actual fact it is 33 because if the newspaper does not have direct contact with the floor it will give a different reading due to te air insulating the heat. So if it reads 30+ in actual fact it may be 36-40 and that is definantly too hot for your snake to lay on. This happened before and my snake always sat on her hide haha so I was curious and checked my temp again ;) of course I have bamboo and stuff for her to climb if need be an the cool side. I'm sure your setup is much more decked out than mine though lol:D

Also I'm not 100% sure about the snake body temp but I dont think that is good for them since snakes need to regulate roughly 31 degrees I think so they shouldn't be too cold but then remember that you are supposed tto be 36-7 so the snake could be the right temp but ur hands are warm ;) but generally I think hands are around 31-33 cos it's far from your heart. I have picked up my snake before and she was warm so I don't know if I'm wrong or you are haha

But yeah it seems strange that your snake is generally cold to touch but yet he is hanging out in the cool side. My best advice would be to get a temp gun and get the temp where he basks at and check if that really is the right temp. If it is then I'm sure you are over worrying haha and he was just thermo regulating and you pick him up when his body temp is low.

Just wanted to give you my suggestions/advice but I'm sure a pro can tell you if I'm wrong and/or give you more advice!

Cheers, Nuttanai :D

Don't stress about night time temp drops if it is only a couple of degrees. This is due to the ambient temp in the room dropping and you can even buy thermostats that allow you to program night time temps in to simulate natural conditions. Provided it dose not get too cold to affect you snakes metabolism you will be fine. Your snake will move to where it feels most comfortable, be safe in the knowledge that it knows what it body temp should be. And air temps are always different to surface temps that's why people often use tiles and rocks as basking areas as they warm if and provide belly heat which some animals prefer.

Last edited:
Hey ris! I was just wondering was there a reason for making night time temps lower than day? Cos I have both my day and night at 30-34 and was curious since a few peps told me to keep it the same and wanted to know your reasoning behind it ;)

As babies, I think it's best to keep the temp constant, just while they are young.
So they can digest food better, build up an immune system maybe.

In the wild the temperature is not the same all day and night, all my tanks are day and night cycle thermostats, and when the lights go out, the temp drops.

The temps just drop because of the night time air,
i live right on the beach and the air is so cool... That everything in the house gets cold..
Thanks heaps for all the feed back,

So I'm still not 100% sure about when I pick him up his cold ?

Hi, if my stimson has been sleeping in his cool end he is cool to touch and to me feels cold to me but they know when to find the heat source if wanting to warm up, he can spend days in his cool hide no problem :)

Thanks guys this is great!!
Do you all have any tips about getting him out ?
I wanna get him out when Ever I want should I have a routine with him or is random ok ?

When mine was younger and i first got him i would bring him out a few minutes every nite using a hook to lift the centre part of his body and sliding my hand underneath with an open palm and fingers facing down, that way they are not threatened by hands approaching face on or squishing his little body. I try not to handle through a shed cycle or at least 36hrs after feeding, some people say they are less active through the day and better to handle then but i bring my guy out all times day and nite and he seems to be happy.

Sweet I guess it come down to how you bring him up,
Montie is a year and a few months old so a yearling an his in a very much bigger tank now then what he was in and he seems to enjoy it. I've noticed his is always coiled up in the day and starts exploring of a night. Amazing movements!!

How do you tell if a snake is about to shed,
I have all his records shearing/ feeding... And my partner was playing with him last night and said a few scales come off.. He hasnt had a shed scince jan and his records show he sheds about every 3/4 months ?

Last edited:
Larissa to know if its readly for a shed
tail go's milky
Eye's can go milky
You should get a thermostat
leave it in it's enclosure for 2-3 days for it to settel down
:}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back