Laptops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakehose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A question for those that are a bit more technologically minded..
I do a lot of traveling and I'm looking to buy myself a netbook/notebook that I will be able to take with me just for very basic uses. Things such as email, social networking, watch a few movies etc. I'm not wanting to spend too much aas it's only for basic functions! If you have any suggestions or can recommend something please let me know!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, I bought a basement model about 2 1/2 years ago, still going strong, very happy with it. Compaq Presario, around $500. If you check out ebay you will get some fantastic deals, i3 for under $500. Goodluck!

Decent ones start bout 4-700 for notebooks, net books I don't think have disc drives(might be wrong) I'd look at something quicker around the 6-700 ish mark

Stay away from HP. 90% have overheating issues. Sony Satelite.

My wife got a HP desktop its the same heats up and slow processor but we had not had that problem previously

Thanks for the replies, gives me a few things to consider! Dad's currently got a HP that's been running solid for 5yrs now, he must've got one in the 10% ha.

Got myself a $380 Asus laptop. Love it :) wait for all the places such as JB, dick smith, Harvey norman etc to have a sale, find out what you need, then ask for a better a price. Being polite and battering your eyelids help ;) haha.
My last one I paid $420 for, got five years out of it. I didn't want to pay more to upgrade it so I bought a new one and I'm giving my old one to my brother. With proper maintainence, anti virus scans, spyware programs, updating the programs weekly, and annually rebooting and blowing out, you can get years out of a cheap laptop. Except for HP. haha

From what I've heard, Asus and Toshiba are best value for money too. Good luck! :)

Acer Aspire one notebook
model No. D257
Memory can be upgraded.
(not all notebooks can)
NetBook is no good.

what ever you get, make damn SURE it has a removable access panel to the heatsink. because if you can't clean the fluff and dust out of it (and these things ALWAYS manage to pick up crap) it will end up over heating, start running slow and end up dying. (for those with heat problems, try blowing into the outlet port with luck you'll remove any crap if it hasn't had too much time to go hard)
with an access port, you can get in there with a brush and remove stubborn fluff bunnies.

http://www.thetechcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/27888df1an04-420-90.jpg once it's like this, it's impossible to clean without an access port, or completely disassembling your laptop.

be sure to check out Notebooks from pccasegear, these guys are VERY good with service and support and are pretty good price wise too.

if you decide on a model also make sure to check out staticICE - Compare Prices - Australia - Price comparison for gadgets and computer hardware to compare prices Australia wide, you'd be amazed and the price differences out there, you can save hundreds.

Well it's not really a laptop as such but the Samsung Slate 7 PC Tablet is fantastic. My husband bought one to take out field with him for exercises etc because he complained his laptop was too big and heavy. It has a keyboard and dock in the box and while it's a bit on the pricey side it's been worth every dollar we spent on it. Does everything his old laptop did except play some games but he's an online gamer and prefers a desktop for that anyway. The best thing has been the really good battery life of it. Size and of course a good-size screen to watch movies and surf the net on are a bonus. Good luck finding something that suits you! ;)

I recently bought Acer Aspire Notebook. I like using it, many features included. No problem issues arises so far.

I have a HP and it cost me $698 including a 1GB dedicated graphics card and 8GB of ram, no slow start, no overheating but it is AMD not Intel so that could account for why. In fact the only PC in the house that is better is the gaming PC I built my son which in retail terms is worth 4 times as much. I have had an Acer and it was rubbish, other than that, it is the only laptop I have owned. Bought it for uni but I am using it for pretty much everything now as my desktop is in serious need of an upgrade.

An iPad can do the things you mentioned. Much easier to carry around too. I spent $2k on a laptop that never gets used other than when my mrs needs to do a power point presentation. iPads get used everyday and the desktops.

As previously mentioned, look into iPads.

battery time lasts way longer :)

I have a 2.5k Lappy and it hardly get touched

Acer Aspire 1830T, Core i3, 2GB DDR3 (chucked 8GB in mine for an extra $50, serious overkill), 320GB hard drive, 8 hour battery life, weighs sweet bugger all, fullsize keyboard, this things a great machine to use. HDMI output as well :)

for wat u want basic use ya dont need a high end laptop so id check ebay,for what you want ya could easlerly get away with a cheap ibm laptop.

Whats with all the HP bagging, lol, I spent around $2k about 8 yrs ago on a HP Compaq Presario and its still going strong, no over heating and only gets powered off/rebooted a couple times a month, lols, donated it to my brother who I call computer killer, and he still hasnt been able to kill this one lol
Mum got a great HP Compaq laptop last yr for just under $500. She uses it everyday for email, skype, facebook and to watch movies.
If thats all you want it for, i'm pretty sure they're going for less now.
If you wanna spend more, and aren't afraid to leave windows, get a Mac!
My last one (Macbookpro) lasted nearly 6 yrs, with the same treatment as the above HP lol. Battery life was impressive, and it never let me down seeing as I could run windows on it whenever i needed.

I myself am looking into getting an iPad, being as I dont have a laptop at the moment. Make sure to check out the Kogan website. They sell laptops and tablets quite cheap! Getting my iPad for $389 brand new!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back