My new baby GTP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, it's a little cutie!
And don't worry about what other folks think about using the hook. You had the snake's best interest at hand when you used it and that's all anybody should really care about.
Would love to see future updates. Enjoy and thanks for sharing. :D

Maybe you didn't read what I put, I'm not afraid of getting bitten I've been bitten by 6feet jungles so it doesn't impact me, it was more i wanted to come from underneath and due to its size I thought the small hook was easier than my massive hand coming in and scaring the **** out of it...Also it wasn't a HUGE freaking hook the snake was VERY TINY and its one of the smallest hooks you can buy.....

I give them a bad name? I merely stated that I had heard they are more prone to injury and to use precaution. As it was my first one and my experience is hey limited into what all you people say on here and the books I have read I was as cautious as possible.

I have no intentions of handling him, I have other Carpets that are more than happy to be handled.

Baden, not everyone has the experience you do with animals and we act on what we do know. There are far worse things to do than what I did to move him from his (TEMPORARY SHIPPING CONTAINER) to his new home.

Any who, he's settling in well and will provide future updates :)

I am really pleased he is settling in well :D
I know some people can get touchy, at the end of the day I think most on the site want whats best for the reptiles and even if they come across a little harsh they still have a wealth of information and experience to learn from :) Some-times it is easy to read things out of contest as well. Take me for instance, most would assume I am a frothy air head. Mainly because I skip around happily spreading "likes" hell west and crooked. Yet when it comes to my reptiles I am very serious in their care and learning about them, my point is even if my post is meant in a serious way, because of preconceptions of my mental state(or lack there of ;) ) people may very well take it in the wrong context. Oh bottom I am probably not making sense..... in the short of it, Heed the wisdom of the Python Gods and turn your cheek from their ire :) there I go being furny again when I am serious lol

And don't worry about what other folks think about using the hook. You had the snake's best interest at hand when you used it and that's all anybody should really care about.
:D

Jende, I am sorry but it's not a really good advice. Veenarm should worry about the hook and listen to what other folks have to say. Do you keep GTPs and have a wast experience with handling neonates?
What one may think is in the snake's interest may be the very opposite. The hook IS huge compared to the size of the snake and as we could see in the clip, it was difficult to get in under the snake's body and the snake got slightly agitated in response. Fingers would have done a better job.

I am not criticising or having a go at veenarm, merely offering my opinion, which he can listen to and accept or reject. Your opinion offered nothing.

I have already accepted that it would of been better to use my hands/fingers, and will ensure I do that in the future.

There is a big learning curve with this species and I am constantly worried about the little guy! whilst I may see red at some peoples comments (not yours waterrat) I am used to it and generally am very good at accepting constructive criticism I want the best for my animals and don't want to do anything to impact them especially if I could of prevented it.

Jende, I am sorry but it's not a really good advice. Veenarm should worry about the hook and listen to what other folks have to say. Do you keep GTPs and have a wast experience with handling neonates?
What one may think is in the snake's interest may be the very opposite. The hook IS huge compared to the size of the snake and as we could see in the clip, it was difficult to get in under the snake's body and the snake got slightly agitated in response. Fingers would have done a better job.

I am not criticising or having a go at veenarm, merely offering my opinion, which he can listen to and accept or reject. Your opinion offered nothing.

My opinion wasn't designed to offer anything. I was comforting him after, as mentioned previously, people have gotten touchy about the use of a hook.
No I have not got vast experience with handling neonates, but I have handled GTPs before and was never told that there was anything special to be aware of. The fact that we lack the amount of knowledge about them (which I guess you have plenty of) isn't that big of a deal. The only way to get experience is hands on experience, and people are bound to make mistakes or learn a better way to do something.

Also, I just want to clarify that what you've quoted from my post was probably misread, because you've suggested it's not really good advice. I wasn't intending to give advice. I simply meant that veernam shouldn't worry about people getting touchy about the use of the hook. He already mentioned why he did it, and admitted that hands would probably be better.
Also, the hook did indeed look large - pretty sure I've seen smaller ones? (telescopic ones on eBay) - but I don't think it did any harm using it.
Agitated the snake, yeah it's possible, especially while settling in and being at such a young age. Point is basically, learning by doing while having the snake's best interest at hand is all one can do.
No offence at anybody's methods was intended and I certainly wouldn't offer advice on something I know nothing of. Anybody who's read any of my other posts were I was actually trying to offer help would know I never jump in unless I know what I'm talking about. :D

Young guy is placing is new GTP into an enclosure and the thread gets bitchy,its got more to do with the 700 price tag,being cautious and lifting it with a hook wont hurt stuff all.

And just when I though things were civil on APS, zulu mentions the price tag. I wonder why. What has it to do with handling the snake?
Keep stirring zulu, I give you all the space. No more from me.

Last edited:
Beautiful youngster, Vee.

I can see from your postings that you wanted nothing but the best for you little guy and I can see why you used the hook.
How often do we get told that it's best to use a hook for small snakes because they are so much less intimidating than a large hand.
I would have thought unpacking it out of it's travel box the poor little thing would have been frighten out of it's wits. Free handling might have compounded the fright.
I'm sure Vee done what he did, first and foremost with the snakes welfare in mind.

When we know better, we do better.

It's pic's like that, that make me want to get one!! Very nice. Good luck with it. I'm "green" with envy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back