Watch the Ants in the rain

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As antastic as this conversation is I'm over it.

You can stick your head in the sand all you like. If you honestly beleive that predator ants will not predate on snakes, or any other animal they can get hold of you are dellusional. And you know what, more power to you!

As antastic as this conversation is I'm over it.

You can stick your head in the sand all you like. If you honestly beleive that predator ants will not predate on snakes, or any other animal they can get hold of you are dellusional. And you know what, more power to you!

Gordo, please. SMALL BLACK ANTS. Not Predator ants!

Thanks for the power though!

We had ants take out our frog a few weeks ago. Checked him at night and he was all good, check again in the morning and he was covered in ants and dead. They had also eaten all the crickets from two cricket keepers.

The Vet must also be wrong saying ants are a problem for animals in the rain too I guess, dam upstart vet acting like he/she knows about animals......my landlords had a similar issue with there cat last weekend, it went to eat from it's bowl (covered in little black ordinary looking ants) and they crawled all over it for stealing the ants biscuits, I was the only one man enough to hold it and hose it down (all I could think of and was easily 40+ ants on a long haired ragdoll....try and picture it)

Nezikah really sorry to hear it that has got to be pretty heart breaking
on a side note where roughly do you live? might be a little heads up for others in your region
again so sorry to hear it

Thats terrible, you must be devistated. Condolences..... but dont beat yourself up, you werent to know. Hopefully your loss will save someone else from the same misfortune and you will know in future.... thank goodness you still have one who survived.
Just an old wives fix for ants, put some plastic screw cap bottletops with some cinnamon in them around the place (works in your pantry too), the ants cant resist it but it kills them for some reason, like beer to snails.

Again, sorry for your loss :shock::(

Sorry to hear of your loss. While i have never seen it with black ants we have these little red ones that have killed a blind snake that wiggled across there nest bit different though. Im with pythonlegs on this one i cant see little ants getting the better of healthy snakes unless they were in a tiny enclosure or were especially venomous like bullants
bull-ant-head_medium.jpg

I've seen the enclosures and they are certainly not tiny and they were very healthy snakes! I made the mistake of leaving a pinky out for a hatchling in case she would eat it without me - came back a few hours later to find the pinky covered in ants so i quickly moved the hatchies and pulled off the couple of ants that had started on one of my bubs. The mongrel ants bite - luckily the hatchy is well behaved as it settled as soon as it was in my hands - it's thrashing around increased the ants activity. I pulled the pinky and it had huge chunks missing made from lots of little bites from the multitude of ants.

Ants are horrid horrid things!

There is black ants and black ants too. Here in Qld, we have some ordinary looking little black ants but when they bight, its like someone turned the oxy torch on the spot and it feels like burning for a couple of hours. Then the skin around the bight goes black like a bruise/blood blister for months.

I can imagine what would happen to a 2kg python if 20 or 30 of those suckers attacked one. I for one am very gratefull to the op for this thread..... I reckon you will save alot of snakes with this thread. It never even crossed my mind that ants could harm a snake, let alone kill it.

Thanks again, and again, sorry for your loss

This poor girl/guy lost 2 of her much loved pets & people want to argue?? Seriously guys, pm each other if you are keen to battle it out for the most knowledgeable award, this thread isnt the place.

Im so sorry for your loss but thanks for sharing, while i know how horrible ants can be, this wasnt something i was aware of that could happen, i will definately be watching my baby closer when she is outside now!! (i always watch her anyway, but my god, this is terrible!)

Last edited:
Given that you had them out in the sun during the hottest part of the day is it possible that they died from over heating then the ants got stuck in?

Thought I would raise a new question using this old thread. Reading the thread there is clearly some debate on the risk of ants to our snakes.

I am about to move 2 diamonds and a coastal into aviaries outdoors. Does anyone (with factual information or experience) believe ants are a risk to them, and if so what ant control measures do others take to keep their snakes outdoors?

Thought I would raise a new question using this old thread. Reading the thread there is clearly some debate on the risk of ants to our snakes.

I am about to move 2 diamonds and a coastal into aviaries outdoors. Does anyone (with factual information or experience) believe ants are a risk to them, and if so what ant control measures do others take to keep their snakes outdoors?

Firstly I would suggest maybe putting a thick ring on ant sand around the whole outside avary. That way it may offer slight protection, also area's to climb and enough water to fully submerge their bodies in might help. Just a suggestion :)

Yeah that was pretty much my plan. A perimeter of ant rid, but obviously they'd still be able to get in. I would never have even worried about it before I read this thread but now I'm paranoid. The little black ants at my place go ballistic before it rains. Thanks for your response Skelhorn.

The whole frame of my aviary is one big Ants nest ( inside the tubing) and i have never had a problem.

I had TINY BLACK ants get in to my beardie encloseure, they were all over one of my girls and they had my male stuck in a corner. both were ok but it is a real problem. how often do you you find geckos dead covered in ants?? here we get it all the time.

I was riding my bike home one day from a mates place and got surrounded by kids about 12 or 13 who demanded my wallet and phone. there would have been 25 of these kids. i managed to turn around and bail before anything happened and one on one i could kill a 12 or 13 year old kid but power in numbers. you are either trolling or nuts to think that 1000 ants couldnt overcome a snake. 10 ants in each eye stops the snake seeing and then they enter the head through the ears or nose and its game over.. jmo

Yeah that was pretty much my plan. A perimeter of ant rid, but obviously they'd still be able to get in. I would never have even worried about it before I read this thread but now I'm paranoid. The little black ants at my place go ballistic before it rains. Thanks for your response Skelhorn.

Your welcome...its just playing it safe is the only thing you could do, but I do agree and recommend that if it is going to rain or heavy rain is predicted then bring them inside, all you have to do is watch the ants when rain is approaching, look how much more food they seem to be taking back to the nest!

I think after this aviary I will either modify it or set up on the next outdoor one with a timber floor and elevate the aviary on legs so I can use the little bowls of water on each leg. That seems like probably the most effective way to keep them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back