shed cycle help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonez

Reaction score
hi guys and gals just want some info on pythons she cycles like wat to look for how long it usually takes, why its bad to handle whilst in the cycle, just as much info as possible.
thanks in advance

My guys usually shed about every 5-6 weeks, I believe they shed less as they get older? my oldest is 2.5 years old so still youngish. They can go a bit darker or dull as they are coming up for a shed, you get to know the colour variation as you get to know your Python. The eyes go to blue phase, however you can miss it even if your vigilant I just missed 2 of mine. The only reason I knew they were going to shed was because of the afore mentioned colour change in their skin and they were wanting to hide all the time plus one of them refused a feed? they dont always do that and normally mine eat whilst in the shed cycle. Usually they will shed 5-10 after the blue eye phase(mine 5-7 days) I generally put a water bowl over the heat in that 5-7 day period because I have no humidity where I live so need to create it without having wet substrate(bacteria/mold) Some people mist, I used to but then realized I could create ample humidity with the bowl of water over heat in the enclosure, so the choice of misting is up to the individual and the species requirements. It is wise not to handle a python in shed because you may damage the new skin, plus they can be a bit cranky anyhow because they are sensitive(skin). Mind you sometimes you need to for various reasons(best kept to minimum) I generally leave my guys for 24-48 hours till I handle them after a shed I let them guide me, they will come out of their enclosure to me when they are ready :) I am no expert and this post is based on what I do and what I have noticed :) I cannot recommend highly enough to read some reputable Python Husbandry books they are invaluable :)

thanks heaps crystalmoon your a champ mine is in the blue eye phase atm i watch him pretty carefully A. cause i love seeing what his up to and B. cause hi right next to the couch haha. i notice his colour change about a week ago and i went to get him out the other day and he just bailed as soon as i touched him which he doesnt usually do so i have just left him and i have been misting the last few days but he hates it haha

About 5 to 7 weeks Is normal once you see the eyes cloud over they will ho clear again and dont handle while in that phase stressful for a snake to shed yours should shed shortly then Its good to handle

I have yet to see mine cahnge eye colour but I know he is ready to shed because he becomes a real recluse over night and hides and doesn't cruise the tank like he usually does. So far it has always worked out that he has a feed and then changes behaviour and two weeks later he sheds and instantly starts to cruise around and look for food. Mine sheds roughly every 5 weeks.

While they are in shedding mode and their eyes are in the blue phase or as often refered to as milky, their eye sight is greatly reduced so they will often hide and keep out of sight as this makes them feel safe. I do handle/ move my snakes only if needed during this time.
Times between sheds will vary greatly according to how often you feed them, feed more often they will shed more often and if you feed less they will shed less.
Misting is a personal choice but unless your breed of snake comes from a area where high humidity encountered I wouldn't really bother unless you have previously experienced problems with shedding in the past.

If you search the site you will find plenty of info about shedding. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks guys love reading everyones different opinions thank for all ur help people hope my bredli sheds and goes
back to his pretty colours soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back