Bali

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, you really believe they employ someone in each of those countries to go out and catch them, prepare them for freight, pay for freight and then sell a completely processed snake for $60 US? I will give you a hint, the facility is close to Ubud market in a residential side street....he also owns a pet store in the area.
As I said before, every single one of the snakes sold for slaughter by them is wild caught
I know exactly where the facility is and have been there several times to help with disease problems they had
I also know they dont even bother trying to pretend its for captive breeding except to gullible tourists
The going rate for Cobra is $2.25 per kilo so if you paid $60 ???????

The director has many fingers in many pies and thats the only reason it still exists

Snake hunters in any country get paid a pittance
ie Chondro $5 each but market price is $17
Retic paid by weight or kilo but less than $3
Burmese same
Cobras Boigas Elaphi etc$2.50

Freight is miniscule because snakes are easy to transport

Come and see us when you get back
I can introduce you directly to the hunters

It's people like you who call their snakes "Pets" and can't fathom them as anything more than animals in melamine enclosure or stars on David Attenbourough's documentaries. I have nothing to prove to you or anybody else here, just simply providing my experience on the subject. And I don't know how to make it any clearer to you but being "bum chums" with people who usually only post mundane "name my pet python" or "what I did on the weekend" threads doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can bet there are a hell of a lot of people here who agree with my 2-way street reasoning but are too afraid to be outcast by the "Chit chat/forum spammer" guild on here.
Come on, posting your collection in your sig.....We are so impressed:rolleyes: "That guy must be an expert"

All I did was offer the original poster a chance to see and experience something which was different from the average, I don't remember telling him he needed to go or threatening dire consequences if he didn't. I have a huge respect for all living creatures and have killed many in my life as chef, as long as it is done fast and humanely I don't see a problem and really don't understand why you are getting your Y-fronts in a knot. The food chain isn't just something you learn about in year 3, it's a reality.

Using your and 90% of the logic of the people who posted here we should be feeding our captive snakes tofu and mung beans because according to the preachers here animals are only for locking in cages and talking about on the internet when trying to breed morphs :rolleyes:.
So if you and your forum buddies feel like coming at me with burning torches then go ahead, just make sure you aren't guilty of the same practice.....may make you come off as a little hypocritical.

Speaking of hypocrites, you're the one posting pics of snakes getting their head chopped off for the man with the money, on a snake lovers forum?

I changed my mind. :evil::evil::evil:

Last edited:
sorry guys it seems he had something else he had to go do for a little while

I did not watch the video. I can't stand watching things like that.

Before u start..
yes I have been to Bali. Yes I have been to Bali's safari park. Yes I cried because of there conditions.
Yes I post my "collections" in my signature but not to "brag" but so ppl don't need to ask, they can see from my posts.

Yes I eat meat, but it's you who has seemed for have forgotten. The animals uses for food consumption are HUMANLEY eutHanized... Not just beheaded (please excuse me if I hav mistaken this, remember I did not watch)

Do you not remember the massive scandal of imported meats and exported animals to Indonesia because of the in-humane way they euthanized them??

Buy the way.... Do you know any of the trade that goes on in the markets there? Where is your proof those snakes were captive bred?

You are aware that there is so much money in illegal imports of reptiles all over the world?
Im just stunned you think it's ok to kill an animal that way...

Longii is right... U hav seen what they sell there in their shops. I can tell u all of that is for the westerners.
They don't eat it be is they can't afford it. It's actually to do with their culture... They don't live like us... If there was no money in selling westerner stuff, they wouldn't sell it.

Did u ever go in the 80s? See Bali when it was gorgeous??
Of course I haven't. I'm not old enough... But I hav seen pictures and heard stories, that's true Bali.

Now days unfortunately most of that is gone...because the westerns don't want to see that, and they have worked out there is money in selling to us....

Just something to think about.

Oh well, he'll be forgotten within a week. It surprised me how long it took for him to get suspended after his behaviour in another thread - obviously decided treading the thin line of civility was too tough so let loose with his real persona. Hopefully the OP has gotten something useful from amidst this 5 page troll fest.

Well, back to the OP - I never actually go herping in Bali (*gasp*) but if you have a chance to fly out of Bali into Labuan Bajo (Western Flores), there's this snake cave about 70km from the town where you can see pythons (rectics, GTPs) and giant bats. You need to hike to get to the cave itself but it's a nice trekking trip. I had a friend who was from there but I visited many many years ago in the early 90s so I'm not sure what the condition is now.

To make it more interesting you can also fly to Mataram, then take the 4 days boat trip to Labuan Bajo, stopping at small islands along the way. I did this about 13 years ago and at the time the boat was very basic, it might be better today. The crew will cook for you, but it's mainly Indonesian food (bring lots of imodium just in case). They also stock beers but my then Norwegian boyfriend now husband was not very impressed with WARM beers haha.. (no fridge on the boat, the food you'll eat are mostly vegetables that don't required refrigeration). Snorkelling and diving around the islands are beautiful, lots of turtles and beautiful corals (again, this might've changed now). We hiked some of the big hills on some islands and there are plenty of reptiles to see although I didn't see any monster pythons. And of course, there's the komodo!

Istana Ular is the cave you mean
Great spot to visit with some reasonable sized retics and various vipers around the entrance usually
[Those GTPs are actually white lipped vipers]
VERY culturally important and totally hands off
We always try to include it in guided tours to Rinca etc
[best dragons are on Rinca]
But after last rainy season the road is badly washed out
Took 4hrs each way last time followed by 1 1/2 hour hike each way
No repairs being done at this point in time

Better option is a night jungle trip into fairly nice country a lot closer to town
Impossible to get permits for night treks on Komodo or Rinca because of the Dragons but we have access to couple of good spots on Flores
We usually arrange long afternoon trek in Rinca [most other tours of both Komodo and Rince are very short] followed by sleeping in hammocks on old schooner followed by snorkelling before return to Labuan Bajo mid afternoon
Jungle trek that night spotting beasties and next day out of there or onto other tours around Flores

Still a very nice area with lot to see but very different to Bali so dont expect to have similar nightlife etc

Similar boat trip still goes out there and is fairly comfortable now
Most of our clients who want the boat trip do it one way only and fly out or back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back