Odd male woma behaviour.......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had problems with male womas being aggressive when mating?

I have a male woma who in general shows very little interest in females and a few weeks ago when seperating from one of the females he has put over I noticed that her tail had a lot of damaged scales on it. I put them back together today and kept a bit of an eye on them for a while and he does all the things he should be doing - ie spurring, following her around, lying ontop of her etc but then I noticed him push his mouth up against her tail and then just proceed to munch on her and try to coil her up. She got free from him and tried to crawl away very quickly and he then spun and bit her mid body.

It seems odd that he would immediately go from trying to mate (when he is normally not that interested) to trying to eat her.....

I have had him with another female and I have not noticed any fighting/eating behaviour between those two.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dave

maybe he simply does not find her an attractive Woma(I am sure she is)It happens with some other animals, for some reason they just dont find the other suitable

Maybe if you separate him and try a rodent to see if he will take it or you could try washing both of them,clean both enclosures to see if there is a scent that makes him aggressive

when i was first researching womas before i got my pair i read that when mating the males can attempt to bite them and seem aggressive in an attempt to hold them still whilst mating and help them get their spurs in the right spot that might be whats happening not sure its a bit odd that hes bitting her tail tough it said they did it more behind the neck i think

You don't think offering him a rat when he looks like biting her would help?

Bit hard to bite if your mouth is stuffed full of food.

hmmm offering one snake a rat while the others still in the enclosure is that what you mean katana?

hey thomasssss, its seems to be a feeding type bite as he is coiling her up when he's doing it. It just seems strange that he was actually spurring her and getting into it a bit and then just switched and started biting her.

I might try what you suggested deadpan and give her tub a really good clean as perhaps there is a smell that is stirring him up. I might also move her tub to a different spot in the rack to get it further away from other males in case that is stirring him up too.

If he keeps it up then i think ill have to just admit that he wont be going over this girl again this season.

Cheers,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back