Ohhhhh Boy, Im in a Pickle.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a damn thing they can do... reptiles come under aquatic (fish), and there is no limit on the amount of fish you can keep.

You can also throw some blankets over your enclosures to cover them up next time they do an inspection. They can ask what you have under the blankets (oh just some boxes or furniture), but they can't touch or remove the blankets, as it's against the law and is regarded as personal property.

viciousred you have NO idea how i feel about MY animals so please do NOT presume to know how i think or feel

i have been a renter with animals and had NO problems, i now OWN my home and i can tell you now knowing what i know i would NEVER rent to anyone with pets regardless of what they are and if i found a renter lied to me by NOT telling me they had animals i would not only legally evict them but would sue them for even the smallest piece of carpet that might have frayed

you forget that it appears this person KNEW his fish and reptile were not allowed due to them being written into the lease yet he chose to ignore this, lie and sign the lease, im sure if they are not written on the lease like hes expressed it then it might be a different matter however one can only voice an opinion on what he has so far written

like i said so many in here have NO respect for anything or anyone else but themselves and wonder why the worst is thought of people and reptiles

ALL pets to some extend can and do damage homes even ones you wouldnt think of

I think the owner is a bit uptight about his house. as you have pointed out it is HIS HOUSE, HIS RULES, dont like them move out simple isnt it

He must be a snake hater. of course he must be a snake hater cause he doesnt want snakes in HIS HOUSE, when your paying your own mortgage you can do what you like

disrespectful, i would have evicted you out for breaking the lease but it seems you got your way in the end huh and that is all the matters right
:rolleyes:

90% of people are snake haters so there are definately gonna be more landlords that HaTe them than there Is that love Em , and my old realestate agents were fine bout a 6 foot fish tank and actually intrigued when I swapped it for CBD's and a python, why not keep them in the garage, its concrete and can be hosed clean, no need to destroy a 'thread of carpet'
Maybe a bit of show and tell with the owners and realestate migjt actually be a good thing, was in my case

The pet bond sounds like a great idea! How do Americans come up with that ? :rolleyes: I am glad to be able to keep my snakes too andie! The problem with my father is he is a solo parent, and I have school and he works 6am-5:30pm so we are not home when the guys come through the house. Even if we did try hiding it they would only lift the sarong or blanket or towel and see the truth. Im not trying to be negative, just saying what the go is. But cause I can keep the lil guys and mr fish, no point hiding them :p

The pet bond sounds like a great idea! How do Americans come up with that ? :rolleyes: I am glad to be able to keep my snakes too andie! The problem with my father is he is a solo parent, and I have school and he works 6am-5:30pm so we are not home when the guys come through the house. Even if we did try hiding it they would only lift the sarong or blanket or towel and see the truth. Im not trying to be negative, just saying what the go is. But cause I can keep the lil guys and mr fish, no point hiding them :p

if they did lift the sorong and you knew you covered them, then they cant say anything, as this is illegal. so you would have had something to bargin with there, they are not allowed to touch anything inside the home, without your permission, as it is private property.

Andie, I am disappointed in the overly strong stance of some poster's in this thread. I guess we need to agree to disagree on this topic. I think in many cases there is a degree of ignorance(unwitting)involved. I say this because I truthfully didnt know the home my Dad rented was a NO pet residence. When I did find out I didnt lie I merely chose not to say anything, as previously mentioned I did not hide any of my animals. The rental handler simply chose not to say anything? except commend the appearance of the house and grounds. Were we really disrespectful? my goodness we even fixed some previously broken things in the house and shed to be honest I found it disrespectful to us that electrical faults in fan boxes were not fixed/replaced even though sparks and smoke poured out of them. That to me is far more of an issue than keeping a few unmentioned reptiles in escape proof enclosures. My point here is there are wrongs on both sides, and they can vary in seriousness for either side. No one case is cut and dried, it irks me that people can be so closed minded with a black and white mentality when agreements get stretched every single day by tenants AND Landlords. I am just relieved the OP has had a happy end to his issue. I mean no offense but I strongly believe in all the colours between black and white and sometimes it isnt our right to judge another person because they may very well have a good reason for the dishonesty. Fyi, My Father had quadruple(bypass) heart surgery and would not have been able to stand the stress of us moving house etc. Do I mention animals? of course I dont! sorry I have absolutely no qualms in not mentioning my pets........ Sorry I dont consider I was selfish, I did what I had to do :)

Last edited:

You can request that you be there at a suitable time for you, not for them! You have every right to refuse them entry unless you are present... another law in your favour (use it).

If it was so black and white then there would be no need for a Tribunal......

I went to go inspect a house to rent on wednesday and i had a talk to the real estate agent and from his experience, most reptiles and fish are fine as they in their own enclosure and not destroying walls, curtains or carpet. He did have the odd landlord that didn't even want goldfish in his house because of damage that would be caused if the tank cracks but most landlords have insurance for stuff like that anyway so i don't see a big deal with fish or reptiles

Maybe slightly off topic, but I find agencies and landlords break the agreements quite a bit eg:- Not repairing damages/electrical(through wear and tear not neglect) unannounced inspections to name a few.... IMO omitting to mention a couple of pets/hiding them is not disrespectful or harmful unless the animal is a whopping great Dogue De Bordeaux that tears up carpet urinates over everything or just plain wreaks havoc hmmm well any animal that causes damage(you get my point)Given the fact that home ownership is hard to obtain and out of a lot of peoples reach I can understand why people Omit animal ownership to Landlords and agencies You can split moral hairs over it till the cows come home I just dont think it is a deadly sin :) At the end of the day I truly hope the OP works all this out :)

I was going to say the same thing, my realestate and land lord took 9 weeks to fix a F' sliding door...was I allowed to evict them, only thing I could of done is gotten out of the lease but then I would have still had to pay to go somewhere else. Load of crap! I pay rent, so I should be entitled to the service, they don't hold up their end, we get nothing!

If it was so black and white then there would be no need for a Tribunal......
The only reason for a tribunal is arguments to the tune of black vs sable and white vs ivory.

I was going to say the same thing, my realestate and land lord took 9 weeks to fix a F' sliding door...was I allowed to evict them, only thing I could of done is gotten out of the lease but then I would have still had to pay to go somewhere else. Load of crap! I pay rent, so I should be entitled to the service, they don't hold up their end, we get nothing!

I wish it had taken 9 weeks for our landlord to fix the rotting bathroom vanity. 1 year and 1 month so far... still waiting... He had a half-donkeyed go at the fence a couple of weeks ago then we had some high wind and half of it blew down. My husband's threatening to fix it himself, has offered to fix things himself (having been a subcontracter), but our landlord's a "handyman" (with extra quotation marks and a derisive expression) so we're not allowed to. Weh.

Yeah just my chance to have a quick whinge. I resent the double-standard that as a rental tenant I must hand over character references & personal banking details to the real estate & owner. Yet it would be ridiculous & "out of place" for me to ask for a character reference towards the owner of the house I'm renting from. Whether they're friendly & respect other people's privacy, whether they'll repair faults professionally on time or are stingy with their money & how many times a year will they try & increase the rent on you...
If I'd known all these factors about my current landlord, I sure as hell wouldn't have signed a lease.

Yeah just my chance to have a quick whinge. I resent the double-standard that as a rental tenant I must hand over character references & personal banking details to the real estate & owner. Yet it would be ridiculous & "out of place" for me to ask for a character reference towards the owner of the house I'm renting from. Whether they're friendly & respect other people's privacy, whether they'll repair faults professionally on time or are stingy with their money & how many times a year will they try & increase the rent on you...
If I'd known all these factors about my current landlord, I sure as hell wouldn't have signed a lease.

Basic rule of capitalism. I suggest you demand one, see what happens

In my eyes you have 2 options when renting you can ask promision from the landlord b4 you sign a lease or hide the reptile/fish when there is a inspection you MUST be given 7days notice for inspections and it is 100% you choice if you allow entry without you been present however if you are not allow to keep pets as stated on lease then you are in breach of lease and can be evicted with 14 day it's a big decision getting a reptile and I think alot of people don't think about the what if factor on a no pet rental property

so we are not home when the guys come through the house.

That's horribly, horribly illegal. I'd be following that one up if I were you.

Even though it's their house, you're the tenant and it's regarded as your private space (sort-of, rental law is convoluted). Regardless, they have a legal responsibility to give you 2 weeks notice for an inspection, no "surprise visits", and to not enter the property when you're not there.

Glad you managed to sort it all out, we went through a similar exercise a few months ago with our property manager. Problem was that when we signed up we mentioned the reptile as we only had a Blue Tongue at that stage and were told "don't worry about that as it has it's own enclosure".
Of course there was a change of managers and basically it turned to crap, they finally came to their senses and is now all good.

Tribunal was also suggested by another landlord and the decision usually made by them is as long as damage is repaired before leaving ok to keep.

Yea, its true they can come for an organised in advance visit if you arent home :shock:.... thats why when I rented, I always changed the locks (put thiers back in when I moved out) I didnt want them in my place when I wasnt there :rolleyes:

I'm really glad you sorted out all the fuss OP, and got to keep your animals without moving out.
I really don't understand the rental market. I constantly hear people crying that there aren't enough rentals available that allow pets, or enough rentals ful stop. My sister and I own a property which we rent out, and being animal people have listed it as pets on application. I have no intention of ever denying any pets applied for, I'm just nosy and like to know what pets other people have:)
but when the former tenants left, we actually had a bit of trouble renting the place out. we even considered dropping the rent, even though it's comparable with surrounding properties, and a darn sight better than some.

Have always been upfront and honest about my pets.

Even if the ad for a property says "no pets" and I wanted the property, I phoned and asked about the property (or inspected it) and advised that I owned a cat, a 4' tank and fostered greyhounds for the Victorian Greyhound Adoption Program (if the property had a dog-sized yard)

I have always had glowing references and always leave a place cleaner than when I arrived.

We did not have reptiles when we moved into our current house (just the cat and fish that went onto the lease) when the landlord came to drop off a spare set of keys one day we asked about the snakes..... His response "Wow, cool, can I come and see them when you get them?" LOL.

Pays to be honest and upfront... It is as important to be a good tenant as it is to be a realistic and understanding landlord.

EDIT: I've applied for 3 places that were "no pets" properties and because I was honest about my pets I was allowed to get the place :) it definitely pays to tell the truth :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back