Exo Terra lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezmay

Reaction score
hey guys,
does anyone have an exo terra terrarium with a compact top?
i am setting one up for a childrens python and im not 100% which lights or heating to use as we are in the tropics and he is in air con during day and early evening but none at night??

I was thinking repti glo 2.0 but not sure what wattage??
also, what other sort of heating would be suitable??
At the moment he is in his click clack and doesnt have heating as it was a constant heat up here....

Any help would be awesome :)
thanks

Pythons don't need U.V, any light that's not too bright will be fine. What sort of heating are you able to use in the terrarium?

lol, thanks...
he is 6 months old and iv just bought a exo terra med rainforrest terrarium which is 60h x 45w x 45d... it has a compact lid with 2 light sockets.

Be really careful with the exo terra compact tops; they aren't suitable for heating (unless they have the additional halogen fitting in them).

wel i wont really need heating at night its just during the day because it is air conditioned during the day.
basically, what i wanted to know is should oi just put some lights up the top and no basking lamp and just have maybe a heat wave pad under the substrate??

i put a night glo light bulb in my exo terra light fitting low watts and melted the plastic above the fitting it still works but not safe

I would put some moon light globes in the canopy for viewing at night and get a basking lamp with ceramic globe and a heat mat under one part of the terrarium.

I have this exact terrarium for my young python. I use two compact 2.0 day glo lights in the hood (both on timers) and a ceramic heat emitter inside a dome (controlled by a dimming thermostat), which sits on top of the mesh in front of the hood. Has worked fine for me for just under a year now; both the basking ledge and ambient temps remain fairly constant and i have not has a single issue with the heat emitter sitting so close to the mesh. I would not put any sort of high wattage heating globe into the hood, it is not designed for that:

"Fits one or more Exo Terra compact fluorescent or incandescent bulb (maximum 26 W)"

- from the exo terra website.

Last edited:
thanx guys :) think i will be ordering some tomorrow :)

if i get the red heat lamp and compact 2.0, will that stay warm enough for a childrens or would it be worth getting a small heat mat for under the tank as well?
also, he will be in our restaurant so want something that you can see him really good at night time with so maybe the moonlight one??
too many decisions......lol

Last edited:
You will still need a heat mat or cord to cover 1/3 of the base. The 40watt will just keep some ambient temp in the tank. Don't worry about the 26w max rating as our 40w work fine(would not recommend any higher though). Moonlamp is not real bright. If you want to see in restaurant just set daylight cycle to suit later times.

awesome, thanks :)

k..
so if i get the Repti Glo Compact 2.0 26w on one side and the Red 40 Watt Heat Lamp on the other and also get a heat mat under the tank?? does this sound right??
i am useless when it comes to the technical side of things :oops:

oh, and can i just put the tank straight on a heat mat with a thermostat or should there be some sort of barrier???

Last edited:
Heat Pads are generally designed to be used with glass so straight under will be fine. Remember no more than a third of the base for your heat mat or cord and if you are using a heat lamp as well make sure you check your temps to ensure the enclosure is not too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back