What's a better value Rats/Mice for Stimsons.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you feed to condition your Stimsons prior to breeding

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
Hi I've got 3 yearling Stimsons that were born 25/11/2010 and 2 hatches that were born 13/12/2011. The yearlings eat a Adult Mice or Weaner Rats. Which is more beneficial for them to condition them for breeding next year. Should I feed a full grown mice or say a weaner rats. The yearlings weight are atm 140,138,130 grams the hatchling atm are 30,23 grams. The hatchlings are on fuzzy mice so should I go the Pinky Rats or Weaner Mice. Also cost per feed which would be cheaper price per feed Weaner Rats, Adult Mice. Hope to hear some replies soon. Cheers Hus

Last edited:
Rats have more substance IMO and that can only be good for your snake. Rats are bigger much sooner and people starting snakes on mice will eventually have to switch to rats when adult mice become too small for thier snake, so I reckon rats all the way.

rat are more beneficial for the hatchies get them on pinky rats asap

This is poor advice. An older mouse with fur and more developed bones and organs is much more beneficial than a pink skin sack filled with milk.

To the OP, rats are generally considered better than mice (although I think it's still not proven scientifically) so if it will take weiner rats then you might as well go for that. Plenty of people keep Antaresia on a diet consisting entirely of mice without issue though. Maybe you could mix it up to give it a bit of variety.
For the hatches, I would keep them on mice until they are up to a size where they could take hopper or weiner rats for the reason stated above.

This is poor advice. An older mouse with fur and more developed bones and organs is much more beneficial than a pink skin sack filled with milk.

To the OP, rats are generally considered better than mice (although I think it's still not proven scientifically) so if it will take weiner rats then you might as well go for that. Plenty of people keep Antaresia on a diet consisting entirely of mice without issue though. Maybe you could mix it up to give it a bit of variety.
For the hatches, I would keep them on mice until they are up to a size where they could take hopper or weiner rats for the reason stated above.
I agree with you with feeding the hatchlings mice atm till they can take a Weaner Rats. Would you say feeding the odd chicken wing tips will be ok as well. What else could you feed Stimsons. Day old Chicks, Day old Quails. Any other feed.

Yeah the odd bird wouldn't hurt if you want. Just be aware that they really make the poo stink haha

We have some Antaresia that only feed on mice and some on rats and some that will take both!
There is NO difference in the condition of any of the snakes taking mice only compared to the others
taking rats or a combination of both!
The whole "rats are better for your snake than mice" crap is exactly that crap! Its little more than a myth perpetraited by those that know little!

Last edited:
i have a six foot diamond that only eats mice so that whole story of to big to eat mice is crap also an anteresia isnt going to get so huge that they cant constrict and eat mice so i beleive keeping them on that and feeding two or three in a meal rather than one big rat. i breed both mice and rats and mice would have to be easier to breed however they do take a few weeks longer to develop but take up less room eat less etc so for cost wise id go for mice. i personally wouldnt feed chicken necks but rather week old quail as a different meal. once again day old chicks dont have much nutrient so week old is better

Now I'm just expressing my own opinion. Don't get angry it's not facts it's just my own opinion ok. I think a rat only starts to compare to a mice when it reachers Weaner size. So for that reason I'll stick to mice atm for my hatchlings. Then when they are capable of taking Weaner maybe stick to that and randomly add in mice,quail,chicken sounds the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back