Do diamond pythons need a uv light

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIGGZIE

Reaction score
Hi people,do diamond pythons need a uv light in there enclosure ???

I dont have any in my enclosure they seem to be fine they still have there hot spot I know other breeders that have never used uv and they have been breeding for over 20 years Its a personal choice I think

sunlight is the best uv wont hurt but i stick with direct sunlight

Awsome little fella in your avatar boomslang. Have we seen pics of that one before? Looks familiar

Triggzie

No, your Diamond won't need any UV lights, in saying that it wont harm it or not benefit from it.
No pythons need UV, they are strictly nocturnal animals that get all their nutrients from their food and all the chemicals they need to break down nutrients from their food.
They do not need any supplements what so ever unless you are not feeding them whole animals, which is not recommended.

Some people will say that Diamonds need UV but other morelia do not. Which does not make sense. The only thing that really differs them (physically) is their temperate range which is constantly cooler than the rest of Australia's pythons temperate range.

This common myth came from DPS (Diamond Python Syndrome) which is a result of keeping them too hot. As said before they found in a cooler temperate zone and keeping them hot like most pythons will drastically shorten their life span and they will die painful death.

But when people kept them outside (which is generally cooler) they didn't seem to suffer that fate, hence people thought they needed UV.

It is a huge misconception and that wastes a lot of keepers money.
It is probably beneficial but not necessary at all.

Cheers
Mulgaaustralis

All vertebrates need vitamin D to allow them to absorb calcium from their gut and to be able to make use of it in their bodies. It is stored in its inactive form in the liver. There are only two sources of vitamin D, diet and photosynthesis in the skin using UVB light. Those animals that eat whole vertebrates get sufficient vitamin D from the livers of their prey and sufficient calcium from the bones of their prey. This is why they do not need UVB exposure or supplementation of vitamin D or calcium in the diet.

Those animals that are herbivorous, insectivorous or omnivorous are highly likely to need some exposure to UVB and / or dietary supplementation of Vitamin D, as well as calcium, plus other minerals and vitamins, depending upon their diet and the levels of these nutrients it contains. A lot of supplementation is done as a precaution rather than as a necessity as it is often impossible to replicate their natural diets in captivity.

Although it is not well understood yet, we do know that different reptiles and amphibians vary in their sensitivity to UVB i.e.in the amount they require to photosynthesise vitamin D. We still have more to learn.

Blue

Although it is not well understood yet, we do know that different reptiles and amphibians vary in their sensitivity to UVB i.e.in the amount they require to photosynthesise vitamin D. We still have more to learn.

Blue

Blue this will probably interest you. At our local herp society meeting on Friday we had a vet come to talk about various ailments and conditions. One point she made was that nocturnal species seem to be able to synthesise vitamin D much more efficiently from less UV exposure due to the fact that in the wild they spend less time in the actual sun. I found this to be a really interesting point. I have no clue how true it is but yeah worth researching maybe.

All vertebrates need vitamin D to allow them to absorb calcium from their gut and to be able to make use of it in their bodies. It is stored in its inactive form in the liver. There are only two sources of vitamin D, diet and photosynthesis in the skin using UVB light. Those animals that eat whole vertebrates get sufficient vitamin D from the livers of their prey and sufficient calcium from the bones of their prey. This is why they do not need UVB exposure or supplementation of vitamin D or calcium in the diet.

Those animals that are herbivorous, insectivorous or omnivorous are highly likely to need some exposure to UVB and / or dietary supplementation of Vitamin D, as well as calcium, plus other minerals and vitamins, depending upon their diet and the levels of these nutrients it contains. A lot of supplementation is done as a precaution rather than as a necessity as it is often impossible to replicate their natural diets in captivity.

Blue

Personally, this topic is very opinionated. I would look in to some journals/peer reviewed articles. Use Google Scholar, not Google! Any one can make a website or wikipage. Snakes to not use the biological process of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis happens in plants, not animals!!!

I find the uv makes my diamond brighter , when her uv lamp went out for a couple of days I noticed she went dull in colour and seemed a bit well .. Blah really.
It's very controversial but the python book and breeder told me to use one so I did and I personally find she is happier, brighter and eats better with it, there is no harm in popping one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back