Now i understand why people say check your boots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woody101

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Got up this morning put one boot on without doing the normal shake it upside down and thought " you dumb **** "
So i picked up the other boot and turned it upside down and out pops a pede its about 7 inches long + ill post pics soon to get an I.D on it.

I liked the post because you found the pede not because it was in your boot ;) I've got up at ungodly hours in the morning to go mustering, shoved my foot into a riding boot only to find a toad!!!! I must say I squealed like a girl heh heh heh

I check because of funnel webs.. even shake my shirts before putting them on. I thought you were a girl Crystal? :shock:

Urrghghh Centepedes fascinate and scare me at the same time. When we lived 'out bush' a few years ago I was in bed just about falling asleep and I felt something cold against my leg. I thought it was the M.O.T.H.'s cold foot so I went to push him away and it ran over the top of my thigh (not the M.O.T.H. :shock:). I flew out of bed, hit the lights and threw back the covers to reveal a very large centepede cruising around the bed. In my fear it looked about a foot long but was probably about 8".

I check because of funnel webs.. even shake my shirts before putting them on. I thought you were a girl Crystal? :shock:
Yes usually I am, but a part from the pink jeans I used to try and "cow boy up" in those days I didnt want to be thought of as soft and sooky or I wouldnt be taken seriously. There werent too many female contract muster's back then :D

Here is the pic and ive got my flame suit on ready for the comments BUT can i keep him ?? or do i need to get them on licence ive been watching it crawl around for 2 hours and its fascinating. Im not sure if you need these things on licence or not?

Attachments

• DSCN1482.jpg
    DSCN1482.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN1483.jpg
    DSCN1483.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN1484.jpg
    DSCN1484.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1485.jpg
    DSCN1485.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 178
Here is the pic and ive got my flame suit on ready for the comments BUT can i keep him ?? or do i need to get them on licence ive been watching it crawl around for 2 hours and its fascinating. Im not sure if you need these things on licence or not?

I think you can, not sure though

lucky you remembered before sticking your foot in. i grew up in the bush so it was pretty much something ingrained into us so i always check my boots if they have been left outside and i live in the suburbs now, had a spider fall out the other day, no idea what it was but still better on the ground than nibbling my toes ha

I kept one for a while, played with it, I thought it was badass. I was around 12-13, it killed things. That was cool when I was a child. How dangerous are these things? My father came into the room when I was holding it and went crazy, so I assume they aren't too pleasant haha.

Last edited:
their bite can make you quite sick. At one of the pet stores I worked at we use to sell them, they were huge and had a thrashing about that scared the begeebers out of me. I think in qld you need a permit to collect and sell them to pet stores... not sure on them cause not many sell them but I find them facinating to watch. I shake my shoes for fear of squashing one of my beloved frogs, I'd never forgive myself if I did

I think it's a Scolopendrid - but I am no expert of course (not getting them over here and only worrying about them in Aus).

If it is then:

"Scolopendrid centipedes may bite if disturbed or handled. The bite may cause severe pain and associated swelling. An ice pack may relieve local pain. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist."

Scolopendrid centipedes - Australian Museum

Sorry - Didn't see Nathan T's input above - my bad, but it backs up with a bit more information anyway :)

A small funny story is that when we were doing some garden renovations here we disturbed what i believe to be a large Tarantula Spider (Native) it was quite large & bit scarey. However i was very amazed by it & let it go on its merry way as it was causing no harm.

I told family & friends about it & warned them to check their shoes ( which no one used to do) & now everyone checks their shoes LOL.

Cheers
Ian

After living most of my life up north i always check my shoes and i never leave them outside overnight , centipedes , a baby water rat , mouse spiders , geckos, scorpions are some of the fauna that have taken up lodging in my shoes.

I had one of these pricks run Along the floor in the lounge room just after I got home from afternoon shift. Scared the absolute **** out of me biggest &$&@in centre-pied I have ever seen, It was as thick as a green garden hose. When I stepped on it didn't do anything so I had to stomp it the pincers looked like garden trimmers. Glad no one else was laying on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back