immature mating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarah6789

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if snakes will participate in sex when they are still immature? (I know some animals do)
I have 2 Stimson's pythons which i believe were mating? (pics)
IMG_1325.jpgIMG_1324.jpg

From what I have read breeding snakes is to do with their weights the "female" is only 175g and the "male" id 162g (I have not got them sexed). This is under weight for her to be breeding and they are both just under 17 months old which is too young from what I have read. I know that all matings will no result in eggs but i am just concerned and would like to be prepared if something happens or for future reference.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi Tara,
Stimsons pythons often mate and breed at that age however if your female is light (I'm not sue of Stimmi weights) it is best to seperate them breeding underweight females is a common cause of them becoming egg bound which can be fatal. Having said that they look good size in the photo, hope someone experienced with ants checks the thread out for you.

cheers
Scott

Thanks Scott :)
From what I have read on other threads you should start breeding around 2 to 2.5 yrs and she should be around 280+g.
Does anyone know if 175g is a good weight for breeding at her age and if not is it too late to try and increase her weight?

Last edited:
They can breed at 18 months old provided they have been fed too be able to do so, There have been stimies bred as light as yours but it can come with complications such as egg binding etc.

IMO your snake is far to light to be breeding this season and it is far to late to try and get more size and weight on a snake at this time of the year, This is something that has to be done over the spring summer seasons in prep for a breeding attempt and the weight of 280 gms + is a good starting point. Breeding should be a planned project not an accident.

Separate them now and plan an attempt for next season, This will give you time to learn and understand what it is that your snakes require for safe successful attemp!

Hi,

I was just wondering if snakes will participate in sex when they are still immature? (I know some animals do)

Some people do too. :D

Tarah, it may not result in her being gravid, she may not ovulate ..... and if she does, have faith in nature.

Good luck
M

mine stared around this time last year aswell with no results! now there 2 and a bit so gonna try again this arvo and see how they go over the next couple of week! got 2 girls for my lucky boy now haha.... my boy is about 200g one girl is around 250g and the other girl around 200g

mine stared around this time last year aswell with no results! now there 2 and a bit so gonna try again this arvo and see how they go over the next couple of week!

I hope you are more successful this time :)

13mth old female

Attachments

• Jungles mating.jpg
    Jungles mating.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 111
mine stared around this time last year aswell with no results! now there 2 and a bit so gonna try again this arvo and see how they go over the next couple of week! got 2 girls for my lucky boy now haha.... my boy is about 200g one girl is around 250g and the other girl around 200g
Pardon me but i thought u go through the cooling down period then warm up and introduce them in about 3 months time??? can someone plz advise as new to breeding...many thanks

Pardon me but i thought u go through the cooling down period then warm up and introduce them in about 3 months time??? can someone plz advise as new to breeding...many thanks

Hi your pythons should be cooling now if yiu have stimmis put them together while cooling mating often helps stimulate the female to ovulate, mine are mating already I put them together a week ago and started cooling them weeks ago.

chees
Scott

Wow they seem light weights! But to the OP yes they are mating, so since you are aware there is the possibility of a clutch you need to be prepared. You can of course let her maternally incubate, but given she is so tiny, it would be best to artificially incubate. Given that you have a male & a female of possible mating age housed together, one would assume you knew this could happen, so am unsure why this post. You can of course confirm by x-ray in a couple of months time so you know for sure. Any vet can do this, but if you are in Brisbane PM me and I will give you a list of the good ones. Start watching for her to lie in an inverted position end of July, start of Aug. Remove the male to his enclosure or make an effort to get him one before laying season. Give her 24/7 heat, you can offer her food, it is unlikely she will take it though if she is gravid, though some females refuse until breeding season is over anyway.
Provide a lay box end of July/august, line with damp spaghum (from bunnings), icecream container with a lid and a hole cut out or a bird breeding box from pet store. You have quite a bit of time to sort out an incubator. There are a million threads on incubators, but to be honest, get a foam box from the fruit store, a heat mat/cord around a grill and place in the bottom, perlite in a plastic tub at 50/50 ratio, do at least two weeks prior to expected lay. This is so you can establish a stable temp, obviously thread thermostat probe and a thermometer probe through the foam box and into the tub. I have a .5+/- on this method and last season 100% success.
Both my Stimmys were over 500gm before mating...my female who is not being mated this season is still at 609gm, I could not imagine mating her under 300gms. But each to their own. This is of course is in my opinion, and will change from keeper to keeper, some may agree with me, some may not, use what you want. The best way I have found info for breeding, is to get info from at least 4-5 different experienced keepers, put it all together and extract a plan that works the best for you.
Good luck and I don't want to be negative, but be prepared for nothing or if something does happens be prepared to seek veterinary intervention - don't wait too long. (eg have money aside)

You can of course let her maternally incubate, but given she is so tiny, it would be best to artificially incubate.

Given that you have a male & a female of possible mating age housed together, one would assume you knew this could happen, so am unsure why this post.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I was going to artificially incubate if eggs are layed.

I didn't know that I had a male and female until know (was looking into getting them sexed when this happened) and didn't think they were at mating age as everything I have read was 2 to 2.5 years so still thought I had a bit of time.

Thanks for the advice though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back