A few days up the Finnis River

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice fish Ven. I dont know about those jewies down there but the jewies up here taste better the bigger they get. Them and threadfin salmon. Any barra over 80cm I put back. They are the breeders and they taste like crap over that size.

Thanks mate. Yeah that's also the same with the jews down this way. anything under around the 3kg mark are very ordinary eating which is why there nicked name soapies down here then anything from around from 3-8kg we call schoolies which can be ok eating and anything over that is classed as an adult fish which are a lot better then the smaller ones but I do like to release any big jews I catch just for the fact that there the breeders and I can get much better tasting table fish around the same spots. Let us know how you go on ya next fishing session mate.

Any pics of the freshwater rays?

Ray.jpg

RayandRick.jpg

Seeing as other people were jumping in :)

Noice!

They really do hunt in packs. Thanks for the pics. Where were you?

That was on the Wearyan river back in 2009. They were on the same sand bank each day.

Did you see any bigger ones? Some of the ones up on the Finnis floodplains were 3-4 feet across.

Here goes the last of our Finnis River plunder!

DSC_0501.jpg

Hey our avatars look like identical twins magpie:D

You have some great wildlife in Australia I hope to visit one day.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Did you see any bigger ones? Some of the ones up on the Finnis floodplains were 3-4 feet across.

Here goes the last of our Finnis River plunder!

View attachment 251603

Hey our avatars look like identical twins magpie:D

Is yours one of the lost city monoliths?
Your beard is better than mine though.
Bigcod.jpg

Is yours one of the lost city monoliths?
Your beard is better than mine though.

Ha ha, that's not my beard! I'm the bloke holding the jewie earlier on. I'm the one with the camera so it's very rare I get a pic of me.

My avatar is a limestone column (one if several dozen) a few km north of Katherine, on the side of the road but invisible until after the fire comes through.

What is happening with you and that fish? Is that legal? :lol:

Ha ha, that's not my beard! I'm the bloke holding the jewie earlier on. I'm the one with the camera so it's very rare I get a pic of me.

My avatar is a limestone column (one if several dozen) a few km north of Katherine, on the side of the road but invisible until after the fire comes through.

What is happening with you and that fish? Is that legal? :lol:

Find your pleasures where you can I always say.

It's been pointed out to me that my photos are not freshwater rays but saltwater rays that had swum upstream to mostly fresh water. I know some animals do this to get rid of parasites but I suspect these guys just like the sand bank.

Last edited:
I wondered about the vegetation on the other bank (looks like mangroves), but they are Whip Rays which the freshwater ones up the Finnis are. You find a lot of saltwater and freshwater species mixed up at certain times and places up here. (Wet season floods and monster tides make for a lot of salinity variabilty.) If the transition is not too rapid a lot of fish can handle the switch at least for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back