show us your deathadders and rbbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my female northern named REAPER

red belly male named SABBATH

Attachments

• adder shoot 004 - Copy.jpg
    adder shoot 004 - Copy.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 119
  • adder shoot 020 - Copy.jpg
    adder shoot 020 - Copy.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 119
  • adder shoot 026 - Copy.jpg
    adder shoot 026 - Copy.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 120
  • adder shoot 017 - Copy.jpg
    adder shoot 017 - Copy.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 130
  • red belly pics 007 - Copy.jpg
    red belly pics 007 - Copy.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 126
  • red belly pics 014 - Copy.jpg
    red belly pics 014 - Copy.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 117
  • red belly pics 020 - Copy.jpg
    red belly pics 020 - Copy.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 124
  • red belly pics 021 - Copy.jpg
    red belly pics 021 - Copy.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Here is the pair, famale on rite ...... going to bread them this year. How much u tink the babies would sell 4?

i-4V9CW4v-S.jpg
i-3fKcFHH-S.jpg

Last edited:
If you include anaphylaxis, about three seconds. If not, it's hard to say. I know a fair few people who have been bitten by itsy bitsy ones and anaphylaxis aside I don't know of any reactions worse than a mosquito bite or bee sting. Maybe a large newborn Barkly could knock you around a fair bit more. I'd guess size would be more important than age, but I really don't know how the size vs. venom yield/danger curve would look. I used to start considering them 'dangerous' after their first feed (not that there would be any great difference after one feed), which is fine other than anaphylaxis... but I got anaphylaxis, so now I figure it's best to be extremely careful with anything, even if it's small or a mildly venomous species.

Definitely best just to make sure you never get bitten by any elapid. Any species or size can give you anaphylaxis, and that can kill you much faster than the direct effects of the venom.

Sdaji, that is definitely serious food for thought. I didn't know about the possibility of an anaphylactic reaction... I think your advice is something to think about very carefully, before getting any venomous species.

I remember one episode of Adrian's Reptile World, where the host found a death adder that was only a day or so old. It rested on the palm of his hand and he explained that the snake was too small to be able to deliver a bite to his hand (that's an off the top of my head memory of the program, at least). By the sound of some of the things I have read in this thread, even handling such a tiny death adder would be inadvisable, or at least for someone new to elapids. Am I right with this?

I've probably got a venom allergy already and not even aware of it. I won't know either until I get an unlucky bite. Then you really need to hotfoot it. Lost a mate to it once, so it's always in the back of my mind.

DSC_0028-1.jpg

By the sound of some of the things I have read in this thread, even handling such a tiny death adder would be inadvisable, or at least for someone new to elapids. Am I right with this?

To trigger anaphylaxis you only need a tiny bit of venom, not even enough to give you the symptoms of a mosquito bite or even as severe as a headbutt from a butterfly. Mildly venomous snakes are just as capable of doing it to you as the 'deadly' ones. The 'deadly' ones in a traditional sense are worse because they're capable of knocking you dead or really messing you up just from the direct action of the venom, but any self respecting snakes enthusiast owes it to themself to be extremely careful never to get bitten by snakes. I wish I'd given myself that advice 15 years ago (not that I'd have listened 15 years ago :p ).

Anaphylaxis is the same thing which makes people rapidly drop dead if they eat peanuts. Most of us don't have any problem with them, and no one is directly harmed by them, but some people have an allergy which makes the body decide to kill itself, and peanuts trigger it. You can get anaphylaxis from almost anything - in very unusual cases you can get it from eggs or gum leaves or cheese (or anything else), but it's extraordinarily unlikely. Peanuts are rare but more common. For whatever reason, snake venom is extremely likely to do it compared to just about everything else, so it's worth avoiding. I used to casually handle baby Death Adders, Tigers etc., as well as mildly venomous species, but yes, it's a very bad idea. I'm now just as careful with a Little Whipsnake as I am with an Eastern Brown, and I'm just as careful with a newborn Death Adder as I am with an adult (although I'd treat the bites differently).

It shouldn't be that frightening really, just be careful when handling venomous snakes, and I'd suggest treating them all with the same respect you would give the deadly ones. When I say 'extremely likely compared to other things', keep in mind it's still probably not going to happen, it's just far more likely than with other things.

Well, I still dream of the day when I have a death adder or two in my reptile room. Or maybe a RBB, given how highly people on APS speak of them.

long time elapid keepers that allow small envenomations and that have been bitten multiple times in their life seem to die from rare auto immune diseases and strange never before described blood cancers , so apart from the immediate life threatening problems you get with vens there can be long lasting effects possibly.
I am still willing to over look all of the dangers and expand my collection with a couple of albino adders, they are on top of my list.

Have you got examples of this happening frozenmouse?? That's really interesting.
I am still hoping my adder is going to drop some het babies!!!

here you go taken right now.... she has just done a big poo so she will be close to giving birth...off i go to clean it up

Attachments

• gravid 001.jpg
    gravid 001.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 85
  • gravid 002.jpg
    gravid 002.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 98
  • more gravid 005.jpg
    more gravid 005.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 94
  • more gravid 010.jpg
    more gravid 010.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Looking good! I just had my first litter of the season a few days ago, from the big really pale girl.

I think I put pictures of her up recently, but here she is again (she would have been about half way through gestation when these pictures were taken). She is the big pale one at the bottom.

SdajiAlbinoestakenwithchitcamerainchittylightmakingthemlookweird.jpg

SdajialbinoyumyumcandycustardtoffeevanillasnakesFeb2012.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the babies when they slough, it shouldn't be long now :)

The pale girl was paired up with my palest male, some of these babies should turn out really nicely! It's interesting that their babies have come out with very little colour, a lot like their mother was as a baby.

I also have one or two of the rich yellow/orange ones gravid, paired up with vividly coloured males, and possibly a het to albino litter too. It has been great being able to pair up exactly what I wanted this season rather than just working with the few animals I started with.

...I'm saving up frozen pinkies :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back