Reptiles Australasia Issue 3...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pythoninfinite

Has anyone heard if RA Issue 3 has gone to print as promised the week before last . If so, it should be in subscribers hands now. As ex-editor I'm following the progress of this publication very closely, and I'm keen to know if subscribers will get their value for money.

Jamie

It will be out in the next week or two

Cheers Brenton

"The next week or two..." sounds very loose to me - has been the case for a month or more now...

Jamie

We're looking at Issue 3, due out in January 2012, it's now almost the end of May 2012 - five months late - are they still taking subscriptions? Issue four was due out in April... so what gives?

Jamie

We're talking issue three - due out in JANUARY 2012, when issue 4 was due out in April 2012, and there is no more info than "in the next week or two..." for issue three? Five months on...? Surely there is a firm print date and as a flow-on, a firm postal date for issue three by now?

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate I don't print them so ease up!!!! I just got told that it's close.

You would think you might just stop putting this crud out here And deal with your own issues.

Cheers Brenton

I wasn't doing anything but asking for an update Brenton, and certainly not being critical of you in any way. I don't have any issues whatsoever with RA anymore - ceased contact with the whole kit & caboodle over 4 months ago, but I was just curious because in a thread a couple of weeks ago it was made clear that Issue 3 was going to print the week before last, and as the first editor (for 2 issues) I have, understandably, a founding interest in the publication and its subscribers

I don't put "crud out here" by the way, if a query such as this is a problem, then so be it.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
here i thought there were issues with how the mag was originally funded??? along with the legal issues that were going on? would love to hear if it is actually still going ahead?

The two magazines I have already received have been lovely....really high quality...but I have to say I wish they were as reliable to receive as Scales and Tails which is always on time.

I understood when the first few issues were slow...but I would ahve thought the magazine would have got it's act together by now..........

I would like to renew my subscription next year.....I guess only time will tell if I feel confident enough to.

The two magazines I have already received have been lovely....really high quality...but I have to say I wish they were as reliable to receive as Scales and Tails which is always on time.I understood when the first few issues were slow...but I would ahve thought the magazine would have got it's act together by now..........I would like to renew my subscription next year.....I guess only time will tell if I feel confident enough to.
I wouldn't give them anymore money until you have all the issues you have paid for. Don't hold your breath waiting.

The two magazines I have already received have been lovely....really high quality...but I have to say I wish they were as reliable to receive as Scales and Tails which is always on time.

I understood when the first few issues were slow...but I would ahve thought the magazine would have got it's act together by now..........

I would like to renew my subscription next year.....I guess only time will tell if I feel confident enough to.

be intersting to see if your first years subscription is finalised by next year let alone the second years subscription,lol

My issue is that I paid for a subscription. Re-imburse me or give me what I paid for. Maybe a class action should be taken if they don't deliver. I do not like being ripped off!

No one does Snowman. Have you tried asking for a refund?
If we were nearly six months behind on an issue I would expect that alarm bells would be ringing everywhere.

Actually it's longer than six months isn't it?
Issue 1 was July 2011, Issue 2 should have been October 2011, Issue 3 should have been January 2012, and then Issue 4 should have been April 2012 ..... Then we are back to July 2012 for the start of a new subscription.

Last edited:
Wow, seems like karma is making its move?

I don't claim to know what has happened behind the scenes with this magazine, but when you hear the same story told time and time again there has to be some truth to it?

I'm glad I stuck to my instinct and didn't subscribe.

No one does Snowman. Have you tried asking for a refund?
If we were nearly six months behind on an issue I would expect that alarm bells would be ringing everywhere.

Actually it's longer than six months isn't it?
Issue 1 was July 2011, Issue 2 should have been October 2011, Issue 3 should have been January 2012, and then Issue 4 should have been April 2012 ..... Then we are back to July 2012 for the start of a new subscription.

Granted there's obviously a tonne of issues with RA. Their credibility, particularly that of the head honcho, is beyond a joke. But personally I find that when the owner of the opposition to RA also jumping on the bandwagon, as you do on this forum & others, it's pretty poor form. Everyone, including me, knows your mag is reliable & is a top notch publication, there's no need to lower yourself to the level of your competitor, regardless of the bad blood between you both. Let it go, he'll hang himself if he hasn't already.

SA-Goannas, you know before I even commented in the above post, I gave a lot of thought to whether I would or not, but in the end I decided that it was my responsibility to do so. I have to say that no matter what sort of magazine it is whether reptile related, women's issues, pet magazine, whatever ... my points are valid and as a publisher it's my responsibility to stay alert and voice concern if needed. It alarms me to see any reptile magazine having difficulty.
You have no idea how much backlash we had to cope with when Reptiles Australia went down a few years ago. Subscribers lost their money and became alarmed about subscribing to reptile magazines in general and we had the task of building up people's confidence in subscribing to reptile magazines again. We've spent the last couple of years successfully doing just that, so yes as a herp enthusiast I am concerned, but even more so, as a publisher I'm extremely concerned.

Last edited:
Wow, seems like karma is making its move?

I don't claim to know what has happened behind the scenes with this magazine, but when you hear the same story told time and time again there has to be some truth to it?

I'm glad I stuck to my instinct and didn't subscribe.

I'm with you on that one Jay, I have the same thoughts and feel that karma has shown itself.

My issue is that I paid for a subscription. Re-imburse me or give me what I paid for. Maybe a class action should be taken if they don't deliver. I do not like being ripped off!

Sarcasm is hard to portray over the internet (or in text messages) help me out here?

For a moment I had the same thought about Joy's post, thinking it was a bit of a low blow, but then I realised she did have a good reason to be saying what she did. I was involved with Reptiles Australia for a number of years, didn't like where it was going and had issues with what was going on (I won't go into detail) so washed my hands of it. Less than a year later it went down (which actually surprised me at the time). In my position I saw a lot of what was going on, it didn't just affect the people at fault or even just the people like myself who had been involved with Reptiles Australia but had done no wrong, but it also (unfairly) rubbed off on Scales and Tails because it shook consumer confidence. Not everyone understands the situation as well as the ones who watch it closely.

I would not go out of my way to publicly badmouth anyone from Reptiles Australia or Reptiles Australasia whether they deserve it or not, but sometimes it's necessary to make it clear that your situation is unrelated to someone else's problem, because otherwise people will lump you in the same category or make certain assumptions simply because they don't know any better. Never underestimate the ability of the reptile community to create a fictional story which makes someone look bad!

I don't think Joy was being at all malicious. Frankly, she doesn't have any need to bring out the daggers here anyway.

No worries, it's easy for people who have been involved in the reptile magazine scene, but hopefully others will get a bit of an understanding too. It's obviously an easy situation for people to misinterpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back