Hysorb on the sunny coast

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno about you but my local riverina has a large supply. Are you buying from a pet store or a produce store?

Hi Mark im in the same vote i have been looking around for the last 2 weeks to find nothing, The guy at my local said next week hopefully.

I dunno about you but my local riverina has a large supply. Are you buying from a pet store or a produce store?
Both - even went down to Caboolture! Have you got a phone number for your store?

Hi Mark im in the same vote i have been looking around for the last 2 weeks to find nothing, The guy at my local said next week hopefully.
I've been told a month :(

there is a hysorb shortage pretty much everywhere - I rang ECW the other day to order a couple of pallets and they are about 8 weeks behind due to the lack of supply of waste product for them to work with..........

I have been unable to find an economical alternative but if someone can reccomend one ill be keen to give it a whirl!

Hi all i am only new to rodent breeding but i am in the same boat too my local produce stores all have run out and have told me there is a huge wait i brought 1 bale of hysorb for a rip off $18 i was getting it for $10 :( but i am trying a rice-husk bedding at the moment (horse stables are using it apparently)
i will say its not great it sure isnt hysorb,
but its doing ok i probably will have to change it 2x as much it was the only thing i could get it comes in a massive orange bale abouit the size of a pallet (huge you'll need a trailer and a 2nd person to roll it to where you want it) i paid $79 (which is = to buying 4.3 bales of hysorb for $18 that i can't get) and i am hopeing it will last 8x longer (i hope) but its only been a day
the husks are small not big like hysorb and for the first hour of watching them all my rodents rolled in it and dug under the new bedding they like it but to compare well---
Absorbency - ok (not as good as hysorb)
Oder control - not great (but dosent give off a smell of its own when wet with just water)
Dust - like hysorb

Last edited:
goodna produce had some today, big palet load out the front. natty cat isnt bad. bit more costly but it smells fantastic and is really absorbent with minimal dust.

animal-mad - i tried the rice hulls for a while and they worked well but were a pain to clean from the tubs. The hysorb will pretty much just fall out of the tub after a week whereas teh rice hulls would leave a fine dust that was stuck to the tub. for a small collection I think the rice hulls would be better as after a week the rice hulls would hardly smell as the urine seems to run through the top layer and get absorbed in the finer stuff at the bottom of the bedding and the top would remain nice and dry and relatively clean.

Bestfriends pet shop on Nicklin way had heaps last time I was there? $14.95 a bale from memory.
Been sold out for a month. Pet Stock in Kawana was the last place that I know that has it

Bestfriends pet shop on Nicklin way had heaps last time I was there? $14.95 a bale from memory.
Been sold out for a month. Pet Stock in Kawana was the last place that I know that has it

Hi all i am only new to rodent breeding but i am in the same boat too my local produce stores all have run out and have told me there is a huge wait i brought 1 bale of hysorb for a rip off $18 i was getting it for $10 :(
$10 was a very good price. I have never seen it below $12.95
but i am trying a rice-husk bedding at the moment (horse stables are using it apparently)
This is the kind if info I wanted

Last edited:
In desparation I use barley straw at $8.00 a bale, it's a tad messy BUT the ratties love it and seems to be hardly any smell at all.

Afterall it soaks up horse pee :)

I've ordered 160 litres of rice husks. I did find a place that did have HYsorb but they wanted $31! My first impression was that they were profiteering but then I remembered the price that now departed Claws and Paws used to charge about the same. The buying power of the barns allows them to greatly undercut Ma and Pa pet stores and since my rats don't poop gold nuggets nor do I charge $29.95 for a weaner ( I only charge $3*) I didn't buy any hysorb and will wait for the rice husks.

* Hmmm - this looks like a blatant advert - see http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-food-accessories-services-5359/rats-sunny-coast-184141/ for more details :D

Hijacking thread however :) speaking of mice and rats does anyone have any fuzzie mice for sale, my little coastal carpet won't take pinkies and everyone is suggesting fuzzie mice :D

Possible but the coastal is a baby that has been deprived food pactically his whole short life. Very small! I perfonally thing Fuzzie rats would be way too big!

The plastic in the second photo is about an inch wide (to give you a scale of how small the snake is)

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_2153.jpg
    DSC_2153.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 52
$10 was a very good price. I have never seen it below $12.95

This is the kind if info I wanted[/QUOTE]
Yep it was a good price but i'm sure with the shortage of it it won't be that price when they get it back in stock. :)
the rice hulls are going good,
yes it does stick in the tub, but i wash the tubs every clean anyway so i dont find it too much trouble just a little more scraping out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back