Water Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mines from the_brad and couldn't be happier. Not that I have much to contrast with but the least I could ask for is a happy healthy active little unit and that I got!

Hopefully in the next few months I will buy one from python1

I was told on the weekend I was a crazy b**** for wanting a water python, haha.

Has anyone had any experience with Python1 / Worleys? I noticed they have some for sale on their website.

I bought mine from them and they were really easy and friendly to deal with. I've also had dealings with Brad and he's a really cool guy as well. If you live around the Hawkesbury you're probably better off contacting him too cause you can see it in person first

Thanks Saximus, I have now seen both ads, also thinking of getting an Antaresia at the same time which they both have, not decided on a spotted or stimmi yet.

I love Python1's write up on Water pythons, after reading so many negative things it was good to read something positive on these gorgeous critters.

I've got two waters. The female is a really good natured, placid snake. The male is the most psychotic, psychopathic, crazy, evil, possessed animal I have ever come across :evil:

I will be watching this thread with interest. I've just recently acquired a 4month old water off Brad as my first snake.

Going awesome so far. Was in a stellar condition when I picked him up and has been ever since. Even with a newbie owner he's handling everything quite well.

I must admit I was quite daunted after reading alot of posts about waters. I just bit the bullet as from my point of view, the people that raised waters into beautiful placid snakes were the kind of keeper I admire.

I believe any pets behaviour is a good reflection on it's breeder/owner. A good owner I intend to be, I already have a small farm here and everything seems happy :lol:
Of course there is always the odd demonic exception.

Last edited:
I just have to say I'm loving all these water python threads. It's about time they get the recognition they deserve.

I was told on the weekend I was a crazy b**** for wanting a water python, haha.

Has anyone had any experience with Python1 / Worleys? I noticed they have some for sale on their website.

Yep I bought mine from them. Great to deal with fantastic animals. I couldn't recommend them more highly.

6577116c-bc12-d32c.jpg

Thank guys. Here a boy I hatche'd out the year before last.. I'm trying to breed him this season but his only 18months old and about 4.5foot (it's an old pic) so I'm not getting my hopes up as the female I'm putting him with (his mum) is over 9foot lol

I've heard from a couple of people that water pythons can be very messy and tend to require more cleaning that your average carpet. Can anyone confirm this?

Would they be fine in a 4ft enclosure as adults?

I've never had that experience ArcticMonkey. Just like all my other snakes, rodents go in, poo comes out.
4ft would be ok but I'd personally go bigger, especially if you end up with a female.

I'm lazy. If Water Pythons required more maintenance than any other python I probably wouldn't bother :lol: Well, I love them, I probably would put in the extra effort if I had to, but I'm glad I don't :p I really hate their name, it implies that they are aquatic or unusual in some way. People often ask me if you keep them like an eel or a snake.

I agree, it's good to see lots of Water Python talk lately! They're awesome snakes :)

The Brad: The pattern on your male is really cool! Good luck breeding them. I've bred 18 month males before and 4.5' should be comfortably large enough. I'd love to see your 'yellow neck' one in the flesh, and the 9' mum sounds cool too :)

Just wondering if this is normal.
3ce5fcd0-051b-4484.jpg

She seems to have light patten running down her side and I haven't seen any others like it really.

I hope so, his father was 18months when he bred but he was 6foot. This guy isn't showing any interest yet.. Still early tho :)
Ur more then welcome to see him sdaji, I'm in Sydney tho..

65771124-28ad-95f7.jpg

Shocking pic I just took but gives u an idea of her size, I'm 6foot aswell

Last edited:
As Sdaji has said keep them as you would a Carpet. They are very resilient and easy. With regards to humity I have found some can retain shed if kept exactly the same as a carpet and like Sdaji keep a kitty litter tray about half full of water in there. Doing that has removed shed issues. I do the same with Olives as well. Some people have a preference for olives or waters, they are both different and unique in their own ways. I would say that yes people always remember aggressive waters, but not so much the placid ones! From my experience often the "aggressive" waters are just hungry. When they are hungry, they are really hungry! They can want to gorge themselves and then be happy. Not saying that is the case for everyone, but what I have found. I do wonder if this hunger spirt is taken as aggression though?

The brad - really interesting colour you have on that hatchie with the yellow around the neck!

They're a stunning python. I had a male a few years ago, was about 6' long, nearly 3 years old. Loved his water, I had a large water tub in his enclosure & he'd spend 50% of the time submerged. Absolute psycho though, pure evil & so very fast. I couldn't wait to get rid of him, I think I ended up giving him away. Shame.

I'd only ever seen waters pythons in pictures, but then one day I saw one when I buying something for one of my snakes and asked to hold her. She was young, and tried to have a go at the guy when he picked her up, but he put her in my hand and she found a comfortable place to sit and stayed there. Price tag on her was $250 and I had a spare tank so I bought her.

The first couple of weeks I had her she'd have a go at me when I was getting her out of her tank, but once out she was good. She still gets a bit defensive when I'm getting her out but once she's out she really good, not snappy at all. She's a great feeder too, never rejected a meal and is growing well. Here's some pics:

Attachments

• Meal 05042012.2.jpg
    Meal 05042012.2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43
  • After Shed.jpg
    After Shed.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
  • After Shed2.jpg
    After Shed2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Lilly Shed4.jpg
    Lilly Shed4.jpg