Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has never been the case in NSW.
I think the problem with the Albino's is that the amount of inbreeding that is needed to be done to produce the quantities that are out there in such a short amount of time. I did give a senario but it seems to have been removed as it was caught in another debate.
But doing the math on what we know it would not be hard to imagine that genetic defects along with the albino mutation would be getting re enforced. As for the hets it is no surprise as most of the breeders would have started out with one albino resulting in more inbreeding within one clutch. . . even though it can be argued that the additional initial new non albino would be adding genetic diversity.

I think the problem with the Albino's is that the amount of inbreeding that is needed to be done to produce the quantities that are out there in such a short amount of time. I did give a senario but it seems to have been removed as it was caught in another debate.
But doing the math on what we know it would not be hard to imagine that genetic defects along with the albino mutation would be getting re enforced. As for the hets it is no surprise as most of the breeders would have started out with one albino resulting in more inbreeding within one clutch. . . even though it can be argued that the additional initial new non albino would be adding genetic diversity.

Some good points, I will post a reply in the other thread.

Sorry I'm in QLD, I'm not sure of the NSW rules.
But as far as we know there has been no visual signs or abnormalities with albinos, just the theory of weakened genes due to interbreeding ?

Sorry I'm in QLD, I'm not sure of the NSW rules.
But as far as we know there has been no visual signs or abnormalities with albinos, just the theory of weakened genes due to interbreeding ?
This is being debated over on a different thread. . . interesting points all round.

That's the thing there should be no debate. The EPA should make it black and white so there is no confusion. When it's grey or confusion people just do what they like.

Thanks Colin.

I know this question has probly been answered, but I was under the impression it was illegal to knowingly cross breed species?. Has this rule been changed? Or are so many people doing it now that they can't control it.

I would love to see some more melanistic snakes if anyone has any

are you meaning cross breeding morelia spilota variegata x morelia spilota cheynei (for example) because thats allowed in NSW not exactly sure of elsewhere. species code 2625 is used for morelia spilota unknown.

not my snake any longer and Im not suggesting its a morph, new morph or possible new morph, or melanistic.. Its a palmerston jungle that got blacker (more smudging) every shed. but looks pretty cool

attachment.php

That's the thing there should be no debate. The EPA should make it black and white so there is no confusion. When it's grey or confusion people just do what they like.

Colin meant that there is debate about albinos, not the law, which is a different topic.

But on that topic, it's not up to some faceless bureaucrat to make laws about everything. 'Hybridising', mostly crossing subspecies of carpet actually, has never been illegal in NSW, so the whole framing of the question is a bit parochial. But making it illegal wherever only makes the problem worse.

Colin I would love to see your photo but it's got a ? And not showing up. I think I know the jungle your talking about, I thought it wouldn't breed for anyone ?

Colin I would love to see your photo but it's got a ? And not showing up. I think I know the jungle your talking about, I thought it wouldn't breed for anyone ?

try now.. but will attach some pics. this male sired several clutches for me before I sold him. He was a strong breeder

Attachments

• 12319.jpg
    12319.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 12314.jpg
    12314.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 26650.jpg
    26650.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 145
Were u able to produce any melanistic snakes?

Citrus that a nice snake! Were you able to produce melanistic snakes?

Last edited:
It's not actually part of my melanistic Darwin project as he is dark brown and not black. He is the second dark animal produced from this line which is pure rp darwin. this year he is being put back over his daughter to hopefully get a super rp it seems to be co Dom so if it proves out the super form should be something that looks jag but with the neuro problems. Well that's the hopefully out come. As for the dark look of him might be a bonus pop up just have to wait and see

It's not actually part of my melanistic Darwin project as he is dark brown and not black. He is the second dark animal produced from this line which is pure rp darwin. this year he is being put back over his daughter to hopefully get a super rp it seems to be co Dom so if it proves out the super form should be something that looks jag but with the neuro problems. Well that's the hopefully out come. As for the dark look of him might be a bonus pop up just have to wait and see

So the project is for RP and not for melanistic attributes? Were is the RP? . . . . From my understanding RP refers to an Animal with a reduced Pattern (darker patches ) on a lighter background (like with Jags). I see a standard Darwin with a high melanistic Darwin, nothing RP.

You mentioned this is not the actual Melanistic project. . . does that mean you have another line that you are working on, would be interesting to hear about that one?

You also state that he is the second was the other a sib?

Yes a rp project, A standed Darwin is banded not striped down it's back. he has got very dark over last 12months but you can still see his pattern on the back of his neck. The other dark one that I know of came from different clutch same parents. As for being melanistic I'm not holding my breath that it will be rec. or co Dom. Could line breed a chocolate brown Darwin but only time will tell.

Last edited:
are you meaning cross breeding morelia spilota variegata x morelia spilota cheynei (for example) because thats allowed in NSW not exactly sure of elsewhere. species code 2625 is used for morelia spilota unknown.

not my snake any longer and Im not suggesting its a morph, new morph or possible new morph, or melanistic.. Its a palmerston jungle that got blacker (more smudging) every shed. but looks pretty cool

Just to add further on the highlited point...

Vic DSE stance...
Morelia spilota spilota is recognised and as the information/discussion is on the Morelias, all other Morelia spilotas are variegatas (no cheynei, mcdowelli etc). Diamond pythons and the rest are all "carpet" pythons.

Just to add further on the highlited point...

Vic DSE stance...
Morelia spilota spilota is recognised and as the information/discussion is on the Morelias, all other Morelia spilotas are variegatas (no cheynei, mcdowelli etc). Diamond pythons and the rest are all "carpet" pythons.

VIC DSE are lumpers and other states are splitters :) seems ridiculous having this name variation between states.

Vic DSE stance...
Morelia spilota spilota is recognised and as the information/discussion is on the Morelias, all other Morelia spilotas are variegatas (no cheynei, mcdowelli etc). Diamond pythons and the rest are all "carpet" pythons.[/QUOTE]

LOL Morelias, spilotas, variegatas ...... is this how the DSE written it? :rolleyes::lol: I wonder how would they write plural cheynei ...cheyneis? Some Chinese people may get offended.

The problems really begin when you purchase a Jungle from vic only to realise the paper work says Variegata and your books say Cheynei. . .and then derm conclude you are doing something dodgy :shock:.

Funnily they are sometimes really not on the ball, a few years ago my wife bought a GTP and we got a phone call from derm a few weeks later saying we may incur a fine for selling a snake within 6 months ??????. . . as it turned out the guy somehow read the movement permit wrong?? Still baffled over that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back