Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WWA_0499.jpg

WWA_0482.jpg

WWA_0462.jpg

WWA_0474.jpg

WWA_0509.jpg

A few shots from Saturday's macro-photography workshop. We had a great variety of animals there including GTP, Northern barred frog, N. emyae, Muller's stag beetle and lots of other insects, spiders and museum specimens. A great day.

B9I2110-S.jpg
B9I2093-S.jpg
B9I2114-S.jpg

B9I2108-S.jpg
B9I2102-S.jpg
R3518-S.jpg

A few shots from Saturday's macro-photography workshop. We had a great variety of animals there including GTP, Northern barred frog, N. emyae, Muller's stag beetle and lots of other insects, spiders and museum specimens. A great day.

B9I2110-S.jpg
B9I2093-S.jpg
B9I2114-S.jpg

B9I2108-S.jpg
B9I2102-S.jpg
R3518-S.jpg

Looks like a good turnout mate... good work

The turnout was limited to 12 people, otherwise we would break our legs over all the tripods. LOL

Great job on controlling the highlights on the stag beetle Mr Cermak...

Great pics all around.

Thanks for the compliment but I am not happy with that shot at all - too much black area. I shot it using 3 very defused flashes over another defuser very close to the beetle, still, not very good. I think the answer is - time exposure in daylight.

Thanks for the compliment but I am not happy with that shot at all - too much black area. I shot it using 3 very defused flashes over another defuser very close to the beetle, still, not very good. I think the answer is - time exposure in daylight.

Possibly a small reflector at the front to pump some light into the dark area of the beetle, was it alive?

Yes it was alive but being a subject to photograph at the workshop, I didn't have much time to muck around with it. I think it's one of the hardest beetles to photograph but if get it right, boy, it's nice!

mr cermak i think you need to be my mentor into wildlife photography :p ill fly you down :p i think another defuser would have been good also, although with the time limits mate nothing wrong witht that photo.

LOL I am humbled by your suggestion.
This is the best image of that beetle I have ever seen, taken by Stanley Breeden. I just need more time to work on it.

i-nMN5ZmD-M.jpg

LOL I am humbled by your suggestion.
This is the best image of that beetle I have ever seen, taken by Stanley Breeden. I just need more time to work on it.

i-nMN5ZmD-M.jpg

Unfortuantly i have tried to ask advice off so many other wild life photographers and recieved nothing but useless and sarcastic remarks. I personally think it is a shame when people in the same industy are concerned about losing business to an amatuer to offerer assistance... Have always found you to be good Michael, so was rather exciting finding out you were coming to Ipswich. Always good to have people offer genuine advice and genuinly assist others.

Thanks mate, always happy to share. I am not concerned about loosing business, when budding pro photographers realise that that they have to spend considerably more time cataloging, marketing and promoting their product than shooting, they usually pull back into the amateur ranks.

Thanks mate, always happy to share. I am not concerned about loosing business, when budding pro photographers realise that that they have to spend considerably more time cataloging, marketing and promoting their product than shooting, they usually pull back into the amateur ranks.

EXACTLY!!! I want to do it becasue i love it... not to make money! I am just having difficulty finding all the gear i need!! will be doing a herping trip from here in qld travelling all the way to Tasmania and back! So i want good gear!!!!

Thing about as if you would be buying a car; do you need 4WD? Do you need a minibus to drive your 8 kids? Do you need a fast sports car? Do you need a ute to carry things and so on.
Photography is one big compromise when it comes to gear, you can't have everything and if you do, you can't carry it all with you all the time. But, whatever you decide to buy, go for the best quality that your budget will allow you to. Less of a top gear is better than tones of rubbish. GMO

Ok so this is what i am wanting from my camera,
To be able to do animal photography like you do.
Family photos
And some panoramic shots :)

What do i need

You have to define animal photography. For close ups you need a macro-lens, for far away animals you need something up to 400mm focal length. For family shots and wide landscapes you need a short zoom, say 28-100mm. On those 3 lenses, you can spend 1-2K or you can spend 16K. Fast, dedicated lenses (f2.8) are expensive but the difference is enormous.
Plus you will need 3 good flashguns (if you want to take pics like I do) because light is everything in photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back