Deadly new breed of bloodthirsty, killer frog discovered in Landsborough, Qld!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainRatbag

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I think..... but maybe not?:lol:

Maybe you can tell me what sort of frog this is? He moved into a potplant on my verandah..... he gets cranky when you water the plant.... he is inside the hollow log the plant climbs on during the day, and on top of it like in the pic during the night :)

He changes colour from bright green to dullish brown.... he never seems to move far? What would he be looking to eat there? (what do frogs eat?)

Frog and snake 100512 030.jpg

Frog and snake 100512 022.jpg

looks like a green tree frog , and yes they can attack u .
they eat anything that kinda fits in there mouth > see pics .

Attachments

• when frogs attack.jpg
    when frogs attack.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 327
  • when frogs attack2.jpg
    when frogs attack2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 280
Question Jas, do they make good pets? Are they fairly docile with handling?

Always been fascinated by frogs, but also heard that some natural acids in our hands can hurt them with prolonged handling. I'm most likely wrong, but I was told to put a frog down as a little boy because of this.

they're fine to handle as long as you have wet hands. the water that is used in their tank must be either rain water or conditioned to remove chlorine etc. No issue with regularly handling really, greens tend to cope fantastically with it. easy to keep fun to watch. be warned though, they are pigs!

Thank you Wasgij. Might research them a bit and look into it! Was shocked when I found out that I had to release the 100 tadpoles I saved out of a puddle. Never knew they needed a license. (This was over 9 years ago mind you)

I picked one up in darwin once after a fishing trip in the salt, completely forgot the salt on my hand factor, my bro told me to put it down so I put some cold water over it to wash the salt off. thats my lil story haha sorry it just made me think of it

You should see them catching micro bats. The folding process to get one into their mouths is hilarious.....not for the bat but!

No :( Considering im a fisher, and only caught 2 longtoms and hooked and lost a 1m+ queenie it was quite dissapointing.. Thread hijacking over haha

So, what do they eat (apart from human flesh?):lol:

Its kinda nice having him around..... If I know what he likes to eat, I will give them to him if I find some :) Or, more to the point, what SHOULDNT he eat?

To me, it looks like an adult? Is there any inobtrusive way to tell if male or female? ie, by looking?

It is an adult, you wont be able to sex it reliably though. sexing frogs can be tricky, females tend to be larger than males and have a different head shape. Males also show nuptial pads on their front feet, but they are only apparent around breeding season. If you want to feed it something use pretty much any bug you have or can catch, they aren't fussy! they will also take pinkies but don't make it a regular thing as its not great for them.

I love the title of this thread, I giggle every time I see it.

So, what do they eat (apart from human flesh?):lol:

Its kinda nice having him around..... If I know what he likes to eat, I will give them to him if I find some :) Or, more to the point, what SHOULDNT he eat?

To me, it looks like an adult? Is there any inobtrusive way to tell if male or female? ie, by looking?

you pervert

I remember as a kid that they used to come onto the back verandah when it was wet

Last edited:
my two green tree frogs eat crickets, flies, mealworms and silkworms.... i feed them medium crickets mostly.

the only way i know how to tell the difference between a male and female is the males are the ones who croak. (sorry im no expert) so i know i have a male and a female as only the smaller ones of my frogs croaks, the female will someimes make a noise like a croak, but its a bit funny, i always laugh and think she is saying "shut up, im right here" lol...

they are easy to keep, just a light for UVB, heat if you are in cold areas, heated water, that is either rain, or boiled, or left in the sun for 3-4 days...

they like humid areas, so if you have a fogger or a waterfall in their enclosure they like that too.

i am often woken up by the conversation my male has with himself... also bcos they only react to a certain tone of pitch, sometimes when the TV is on, he croaks to a whole ad... i remember he liked one add, the name has escaped me... but it was funny.

in regards to handling, as long as your hands are wet, (remember to use the water suitable for them e.g. no chlorine) they are pretty good. i know that they use the defense meckanism of peeing on their pretators so watch out for that. but yeah... hope that helps.

anyone own red eyes?

Only after a good night out :lol: Hehehehehehehe

my two green tree frogs eat crickets, flies, mealworms and silkworms.... i feed them medium crickets mostly.

they are easy to keep, just a light for UVB, heat if you are in cold areas, heated water, that is either rain, or boiled, or left in the sun for 3-4 days...

they like humid areas, so if you have a fogger or a waterfall in their enclosure they like that too.

in regards to handling, as long as your hands are wet, (remember to use the water suitable for them e.g. no chlorine) they are pretty good. i know that they use the defense meckanism of peeing on their pretators so watch out for that. but yeah... hope that helps.

Thanks Nes, I am only interested in giving him/her a treat if I stumble across something he might like. I dont want to 'keep' him, nor handle him..... more like just encourage him to stay :D I have never heard it croak, so maybe it is female? The only noise it makes is when the potplant is watered, it growls :shock:, thats how I discovered it was there.

Last edited:
Whatever your doing now is good because it decided to take up residence in the pot plant. Frogs will call for a number of reasons including the males to attract a mate, a distress call, in anticipation of rain (based on an air pressure drop), or when its actually raining (in the case of you watering your pot plant). From wild observations, they turn the dark browner colour when they're hot, and stay the light green colour when cool or room temperature. Feeding has been covered already, pretty much anything that can fit in their mouths (or anything they can shovel into their gob with their front hands).
If your going to wear gloves to handle, don't use powdered gloves, only powder-free gloves.

There is a way to tell males and females apart. Males have a black spot on what would be their 'thumb' but this can be very hard to spot. Females do still croak from time to time just not as mad as a male so its not a guaranteed way. Chances are the frog is hanging near your place because there are lights which attracts bugs no need to feed it yourself it looks at a pretty happy weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back