Question for the plant lovers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach85

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is?
flower.jpg

Dutchmans pipe! Gorgeous flowers and really pretty umbrella shaped seed pods. Had it on our farm when I was a kid, would love to get some seeds form you if you have them.

Thanks everyone. I read something on google that sounded like it, and said it was a weed, which sucks cos the flowers are gorgeous. Maybe giving you seeds isnt such a good idea Jen, cos its a weed? Not the best idea to spread it further.... But of course I wouldnt mind normally....

Last edited:
It's not a weed in WA. From what i have read it is only a weed in QLD due to butterflies laying eggs on it which then die, and apparently this is affecting the species. But no worries, I can get some seeds from my Dad :)

I dont mind giving ya some seeds, not at all.... i was just thinking if it was the responsible thing to do?

It is a nice flower but it is a weed, if you want to plant a nice vine you should plant a Richmond Birdwing vine.
The Duchman's pipe is responsable for killing the Richmond Birdwing Butterfly.
If more people had this vine in there yard it would increase the numbers and they look muuch nicer than the flower.
I used to try and sell it in the nursery industry but it was'nt very popular for some reason, Id like to see the butterfly
become comon again.
Richmond-Birdwing-Vine-Aristolochia-Praevenosa.jpg

4309073130_d8e2ca5917.jpg

Any one that likes native wildlife in there garden should plant this vine.
Cheers Jason.

1526874120_c65a42b211_z.jpg

melaka-butterfly-rajah.jpg

Who would'nt like these in there yard.

Last edited:
Subtropical to tropical north QLD to Lismore NSW, mainly in national parks.

We got Aristolochia growing at work in the nursery section, here's a bub.
Cat.jpg

There are many species of native "Dutchman's pipe" that Cairns birdwing butterfly larvae feed on: Aristolochia acuminata (formally tagala - I think), A. indica, A. pubera, A.thozetii, A. elegans, also Parariastolochia australopithecurus, P. delthanta and P. sparusifolia.
The Richmond birdwing only feeds on A. praevenosa and P. laheyana (in highlands).

thanks for all the new input everyone. Such a beautiful butterfly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back