Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yolz90

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ;) new to this, please forgive me if this has been covered. Im currently recearching what to get as my first snake, im leaning towards a stimsons, carpet, or spotted python. I was talking to a guy at work and he said i shouldnt get a snake bacause me and my partner have a very young child and a full grown spotted python could easily get out of its enclosure and harm my child. I didnt think this could happen but is there a chance? I really hope not as i would love to own one.

Thanks in advance,

yolz.

Getting a hatchie or juvie Carpet python should cause no safety problems to your young child, if anything I can only see a benefit, your snake and child can grow together gaining mutual respect for each other.
Obviously you are a responsible keeper and will always ensure your snake is unable to escape its enclosure, and that any interaction between your child and the snake is under full supervision.
Cant wait to see photo's of snake and bub playing together :)

Yolz90

Your friend has no idea about Australian pythons.
The above species you named are fine. Even if it some how managed to get out (it happens to the best) they would not pose any real harm.

Mulgaaustralis

Getting a hatchie or juvie Carpet python should cause no safety problems to your young child, if anything I can only see a benefit, your snake and child can grow together gaining mutual respect for each other.
Obviously you are a responsible keeper and will always ensure your snake is unable to escape its enclosure, and that any interaction between your child and the snake is under full supervision.
Cant wait to see photo's of snake and bub playing together :)

+1

Thank you for your response :) will definately post some pics when i decide wich snake to get, im leaning towards a blonde mac they are so beautiful :eek: I sent my application for a category 3 licence today so one step closer :)

Yes it can happen.......
And your little one could be hit by a meteorite..... the cat might sit on its face and smother it...... the dogs leash might get caught around his/her nack and strangled...... :rolleyes: pfft....

Just make your enclosure escape proof for the snake and child proof for the bub(& vice versa)..... and enjoy your snake ;)

Oh, and tell your friend he is a wowser worry wart nincompoop.

@Mulgaaustralis, thanks I fell alot more reassured :)

@Captainratbag, lol will definately make the enclosre snake proof and be carefull :) really looking foward to it now

Last edited:
they are so amazing! :) is there and difference in behaviour between male and female spotteds?

Worst case scenario and your new snake attacks your child, unless it's a 10ft carpet it's no worse than a grazed knee anyway. I've got two young children (3 and 6) and they love my snakes (they've never been bitten). I've got 24 pythons ranging from 30cm to 8ft and for the most part are all puppy dog tame. I always supervise my kids with my snakes and from my experience, the snakes are at much greater risk of injury from the children than the other way around :) Go for it :)

@ Skeptic, thanks for your post, I have a 9 week old and my daughter will be 3 next month, she already loves snakes and wont stop asking to get one lol :)

Congratulations :) We all love our kids and you should be commended on your caution. It's just not necessary on this occasion :) Disclaimer - Really large pythons and elapids don't mix with kids. Duhh :)

Thank you :) im really glad to hear i dont have to worry too much :) do you have any recomendations on books for beginners wich includes information on care and handeling by anychance? :)

Hi yolz90 :)
We aren't actually able to keep spotteds in WA, but I got a stimmi as my first snake, and i'd reccomend one to anyone :) best of luck :)

I concur with most of the comments made. What is apparent is that you know very little about snake keeping and even less about the system in WA.

Blotched Pythons are not on the keeping list here. A link to a PDF copy of the Approved Keeping List (2003) can be located on the following page of the DEC web site – “Reptiles as Pets”
Reptiles as pets - Department of Environment and Conservationhttp://www.dec.wa.gov.au/content/category/43/378/1988/

You are on the right track in wanting to buy an appropriate book. The minimum would be John Weigel’s “Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity” published by the Reptile Keepers Association
[$20]. An excellent book is “Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons”, edited by Mike Swan and published by Mike Swan Herp Books. [$50]. Should you decide on a carpet, then you would do well to purchase a copy of “The Complete Carpet Python” by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander, Rodeo: ECO Publishing, 2011. [$80]. There is an excellent set of articles by Simon Stone PhD (aka Doc Rock), a highly respected breeder in SA who runs Southern Cross Reptiles, on the company website: http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htmhttp://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

Have a look at the West Australian Herpetological Society (WAHS) website and think about maybe joining. You can talk to experienced successful keepers face to face and avoid many of the issues and difficulties beginning keepers can face. A good investment for $30 per year.

Blue

As Bluetongue said you can't keep a spotted.
You only have two options to begin with and that is a Stimsons python or a South West Carpet Python.

Hey guys ;) new to this, please forgive me if this has been covered. Im currently recearching what to get as my first snake, im leaning towards a stimsons, carpet, or spotted python. I was talking to a guy at work and he said i shouldnt get a snake bacause me and my partner have a very young child and a full grown spotted python could easily get out of its enclosure and harm my child. I didnt think this could happen but is there a chance? I really hope not as i would love to own one.

Thanks in advance,

yolz.
LOL Maybe A full grown scrubby or coastal, But A spotted and A stimson don't get bigger then 1-1.2 metres lol As long as you don't take your eyes off the snake and child then it should be fine

Just like owning a dog, or any other pet really, just be sure to supervise when out 'playing' together, & obviously have an enclosure that is escape proof (more so for the safety & well being of your snake though) I know some people dont believe that anything is completely escape proof......but it really is just common sense, you can make an enclosure escape proof, & so long as the doors etc are always closed & locked, im quite sure you & your family will be alright!!

I have a yearling Bredli, she may not be so big now, but she will get there. I also have 2 kids & baby 3 on the way, if i had any concerns for my babies safety i wouldnt have Matilda, im sure alot of people on here who keep snakes have babies also, & they are fine. I would be more worried about a dog 'turning' on your child then a snake.

My 2 and a half year old son loves our blonde spotted girl. She has a crawl on his arm every time she's out and he loves it lol. Don't let her stay on him to long but only coz I think if he had the chance he might try to pick her up and squeeze her. And she also has no problem with his constant moving lol seems she's got used to him.

Some great info for you already posted. You did ask about any difference between male or female spotteds, I can't comment on spotted's but I picked up a pair of Coastal hatchies just over a week ago, Shaz the female is like she's 20 yrs old and calm and relaxed, while Baz makes a show of being nasty and snappy. It's sort of hard to explain what it is he does, he rears up gives a little hiss and strikes, the only thing is he isn't actually biting even though he looks like it. He seems to just mouth me when it gets to where he should have bitten. All hatchies and snakes not used to being handled will be snappy when you first get them, but they usually get over that in time. Depends greatly on the type of snake and a heap of other variables too. I'm lucky up here, I just ring the breeder tell him what I'm looking for and he'll have a couple or more in their click clacks that I can have a handle of and see what I like best. I've yet to go for the ones with a "great feeding response"....lol.

As for harming children, I doubt it, I'm often met at a mates house by their perhaps 3 yo daughter, draped in a 3m Bredli. Look Ned NAKE!!!.....lol. They've got some great photos too of this interaction. I think there's a lot of urban myth out there about this sort of thing, pythons usually kill only what they want to eat. That's where my Jungle gets unnerving and funny at the same time. Whenever I hand her to someone new, she climbs up their arm onto their shoulder, sniffs out their head and then seems to look dissapointed cause she's worked out they won't fit in her mouth. So she just climbs back down and hangs on to their arm, unless they're wearing a hat. She likes to hang off hats and get walked around the joint for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back