Rough-scaled python temperament

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Channaz

I know there are plenty of other threads here on rough-scaled pythons, but there is one question that for me remains unresolved.

How would you summarise the temperament of RSP's? I have read so many conflicting pieces of information on this, both here, elsewhere online and from published sources. I know that the temperament of individual snakes can and does vary greatly, but I am curious about how this particular species can be best summed up.

I have read many very positive comments here about RSP's and their "handler-ability". However, for one example, they are described as "tend(ing) to bite with some regularlty" in An Introduction to Keeping and Breeding Australian Reptiles. So just how "bitey" would you say they are, in general?

They can be a little snappy as hatchlings like any other Morelia but settle into puppy dog adults. They are one of the most gentle python I've ever owned. I've bred around 80 of them and been keeping them since 2006

Cheers Gird

Last edited:
Like any of the pythons it does come down to individuals. I've worked with some that are super nervous and snappy, while my girl is the sweetest little snake I've ever come across. That's not just me playing favourites because she's mine, she is actually the calmest baby I've encountered.
I've had some people say that I'm brave keeping a roughie, while others have bred hundreds (okay, maybe not hundreds​ but a few!) and never copped a bite.
Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, but has anyone been bitten by a roughie? I've heard they can get you good coz of they're large teeth.

Last edited:
I'd like to meet the people you say who have bred hundreds lol, that could only be John Weigel. They earnt a reputation for being snappy because of one incident when Brisn Barcyk got torn apart by one at the Wild Expo at Sydney.

I knew at the time that one incident would change people's opinions of them because it was filmed and publicised. That was really a one off.

Ive had one bad feeding bite when an adult sprang out from a hide cave. It was messy but nothing like a scrubby.

Thanks for this feedback, it's all very interesting.

And by the way, I think they are a fantastic snake. Regardless of temperament, I intend to keep at least one at some point in the not too distant future.

I don't have much experience with these guys but I do have one little guy that I got last August as an advanced hatchy. He is the sweetest little fella ever & has never bitten or struck since we have had him, hasn't even pulled back into strike stance. In all the research I did, everyone says the same as girdheinz above, a little snappy as hatchies but calm down beautifully.

Be calm and respectful with them and you won't have any upsets

Exhibitionists give them an undeserved reputation

Cheers
Sandee :)

Thanks everyone for all of this advice. It's confirmed a few suspicions I had and definitely given me another reason to get a roughie!

i recently got a pair and i was told that i would def get bitten by them as they are hatchies, but they will calm down. well it has been 2 months now and i have yet to get a bite.

The adults I have had the pleasure of handling have been a little nervous, but none have bitten. These particular snakes are very wriggly and fast, wrapping around the nearest object when they don't want to go anywhere. I don't know if they were accustomed to handling or not when they were young 'uns, but I suspect not.

They are a beautiful snake and I would not hesitate to get one myself one day. Their eyes are hypnotising.

I have posted this before but this is me after I laid eyes on an adult female RSP for the first time LOL.

ingiebite.jpg

ive only been bitten by an adult once and that was my fault - i reached in grabbed him while he was asleep and starled him. A couple of hatchies have bitten me but in general very calm, placid animals. I would give my adults to a toddler to handle they are that calm....

Only my girl has ever struck at me (feeding time) & only grazed me. Apart from that, they have been great to handle, calm & no probs at all.

I've found them to be very inquisitive snakes, as soon as there's some action near their enclosures, they have to go & check it out. Or perhaps they are just hoping to get fed, they are quite enthusiastic feeders.

Last edited:
I know there are plenty of other threads here on rough-scaled pythons, but there is one question that for me remains unresolved.

How would you summarise the temperament of RSP's? I have read so many conflicting pieces of information on this, both here, elsewhere online and from published sources. I know that the temperament of individual snakes can and does vary greatly, but I am curious about how this particular species can be best summed up.

I have read many very positive comments here about RSP's and their "handler-ability". However, for one example, they are described as "tend(ing) to bite with some regularlty" in An Introduction to Keeping and Breeding Australian Reptiles. So just how "bitey" would you say they are, in general?

There is nothing unresolved at all. Any snake is capable of being either tame or flighty and bitey. This is why you get conflicting reports. When thinking about buying a snake ask youself this... Is it a snake? If the answer is yes then reread my first sentence.

If you get a snake that is flighty and tends to nip, then sell it and try again, or stick it out and work with it keeping in mind that no snake likes to be handled.

I'm sure there are numerous threads here in which snakes and their proximity to faces is a subject of discussion... NEVER do that... I'd be embarrassed to post that photo...

Jamie

My rough scale has developed somewhat of a bad temper because when she was sent to me she was very sick, and so now she's used to getting anti biotic injections every time she is handled. I'm sure if I wasn't stabbing her every 3 days she'd probably have a nicer disposition... on the plus side she's a lot livelier now that she's getting better.

I'm sure there are numerous threads here in which snakes and their proximity to faces is a subject of discussion... NEVER do that... I'd be embarrassed to post that photo...

Jamie

I am not embarrassed at all lol I love that photo. I wasn't kissing the bloody thing it was just a long snake. If I want to "do that", whatever that is, I will. My face, my problem.

:D

I am not embarrassed at all lol I love that photo. I wasn't kissing the bloody thing it was just a long snake. If I want to "do that", whatever that is, I will. My face, my problem.

:D

ha i think its a great photo. Why would anyone be embarrassed? lol id be embarrassed about making that comment Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back