Training a reptile friendly cat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello APS, I have not visited in a while.

Recently I have sold my reptiles to prepare for a big move to Orange for me and the Mrs. I am currently living back at home until we get approved for a house there.

I have never been a cat person, and have always hated cats (mother claimed she was allergic). Watching a cat tear apart an adult buey scared me as a child. But I came across a kitten, with a sad background story and personality pouring out both ends. So I decided to go against everything I believe in, and purchased a cat.

My one rule with this animal, is that the second I find her attacking a reptile or other animal, She would be given away. Now over time I have become infatuated with this Kitten, and know down the track the inevitable will happen. Some one told me you cannot train a cat. I have trained a cat.

Where I am currently staying we have a lot of beautiful rainbow skinks breaking into the house, which defeats the purpose of having an Indoors cat. (She will never be an outdoors cat)

I caught The kitten ( Named Trippa) chasing a small rainbow skink across the room. I jumped on her, and stopped it, and it made me think there has to be some way to "unteach" some of these primal instincts. So I began training.

First using small plastic lizards, attaching them to string and recreating life like movements. She would claw them, and bite them, I then moved up to those Jelly like, rubbery toy lizards. She destroyed them. Over time I taught her how to stop attacking on command. She would jump the toy, put a paw on it, and go to bite the neck, I would then say stop. She then looks up at me and meows. It's been 4.5 months now without any toy lizard casualties.

Yesterday I was in my room, I could hear Trippa meowing so I went into the lounge room. Trippa is sitting in the middle of the floor, with a soft paw resting on a Rainbow skink looking at me, Meowing, Waiting for instruction. I said Stop, she took her paw off instantly, but was staring intensely at the skink. I then yelled come, and she came and sat by my feet watching the Lizard.

Glad I did all the practice drills before hand or I would be looking at a very sore lizard.

Now I know I will get the Cat haters, I was once with you on that. I thought I would just post my field findings on the Current cat situation. I will continue to train my kitten, She will never be an outdoors cat, She will NEVER be tested against future reptiles (owned or wild) for her ability to hold restraint.

{Note, this training was not conducted to see if I could let her and my reptiles play and tickle eachother. It was conducted to stop all possible reptile killings by my cat}

Thank you for reading, flame away.

I commend you for what you have done.... you can train most cats if you have patience and time, I trained mine and put the only one I couldnt train to sleep(I had no option at the time) mine also sat, begged and dropped on command. I will state though, it took soooo much longer than training a canine :)

Good work, I hate cats too, hate them, they are too distructive but you have obviously had the time and from a kitten stage able to help teach a cat not to kill. I have a few friends with parrots etc and the cats and birds often cuddle up...storey of unforbidden love :) :p

Cats CAN be trained with persistance and regular refreshers, and I'm always impressed when I read/see/hear things like this.

Good job :)

My next plan of action is Snakes. I am moving to the country, and would hate if the Cat got bitten by a venomous snake, so Some how I need a plan to teach her to STAY AWAY or possibly even warn me of an intruding snake. Being a reptile keeper, I dont want to keep the reptiles away from my house, I just want to make sure they are safe if they feel like exploring my wares!

That's a great effort. And yeah cats can be trained and it does take a long time. Definitely worth it though.
Also, I love the name Trippa lol.

Good work, I hate cats too, hate them, they are too distructive but you have obviously had the time and from a kitten stage able to help teach a cat not to kill. I have a few friends with parrots etc and the cats and birds often cuddle up...storey of unforbidden love :) :p

You hate them because they kill things and they are good at it??? Okay in that case please extend your dislike to crocodiles and sharks aswell.

The fact that they are "to destructive is because most small Australian wildlife never evolved to live with such aggressive hyper-carnivores like felines...Being isolated on an island continent is not the cats doing.

You hate them because they kill things and they are good at it??? Okay in that case please extend your dislike to crocodiles and sharks aswell.

The fact that they are "to destructive is because most small Australian wildlife never evolved to live with such aggressive hyper-carnivores like felines...Being isolated on an island continent is not the cats doing.

This is not going to turn into a Pro or cons cat list. Don't get off topic please, all threads on this site have potential until users start writing irrelevant posts.

Of course cats can be trained,
its like traing a real stupid dog.
you need an e.collar and some very horrible smelling solution in a squirty bottle.
The will learn.

This is not going to turn into a Pro or cons cat list. Don't get off topic please, all threads on this site have potential until users start writing irrelevant posts.
Haha love this seen as u where the one who just decided to comment on one of my threads callin me and incopetent moron and yet ur cat did more harm to a skink then my snake did. But enough of that i like the fact that u have done this with ur cat does show concern but wat if u werent there then what? Im not tryin to take the piss just a serious question.

I'm not a cat person either and I'm actually extremely allergic to them.
(I get an ashma attack within seconds and my eyes just start pouring and stinging, within few minutes I can't see or breath) so I make sure I stay well away from them!

So when a friend said she has trained her cat I didn't believe her and really had to see it to believe it...

She had trained her cat to fetch, stay, come on command and sit.

But my jaws realty dropped when the cat talked, asking for food and went to the toilet, I mean, a person's toilet in the house - I would not have believed that if I didn't see it, and today I still find hard to comprehend what she achieved!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uzzek5

Haha love this seen as u where the one who just decided to comment on one of my threads callin me and incopetent moron and yet ur cat did more harm to a skink then my snake did. But enough of that i like the fact that u have done this with ur cat does show concern but wat if u werent there then what? Im not tryin to take the piss just a serious question.

How did my cat do any harm to a skink? At least I didn't willing leave it in a small enclosure for three days waiting for the inevitable. Please re-read the original post in regards to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back