Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangrove Snakes are 100% aquatic that live in fresh, brackish and salt water, coupled with the fact that no sea snakes are on license. Although that dosen't stop a lot of people haha.

Mulgaaustralis I didn't think you could get them any more as they were the only ones I couldn't keep on the venomous licence, but when I was a kid they used to sell them in the pet shop in the salt water tanks here in brisbane.

My internet is so slow!!!

There is probably some sort of license that you can have them on, but non of which are available to the general public. Like I said licenses don't stop anyone.
Even if you could get them, my opinion is that they would soon die in captivity without proper care... which is impossible to cater.

I'm 99% it's a mangrove snakes, most likely Macleays, Brockadam or a Arafura.

Regardless, mangrove snakes are amazing animals and it's good to see them around.

I dont know have to ask him. He has had them for some time and I remember he did say they were a pain to get. just did not look anything like a mangrove according to google. I will get back to you on it next week.

I have a morey eel, I'm going to get rid of it you hardly ever see him and he has expensive taste in fish.

They are amazing animals... but Bockdams and Macleays are much better captives.
Much more active and easier to care for.

Does anyone keep a large exotic tank with big exotics?

Theres so many fish I'd love to keep and have been considering a huge tank for awhile now.

My biggest is a 650L with a ten year old giant gourami who shares with various other fish. Heaps of other big fish I'd love to keep (red-tail cat, murray cod, Australian lungfish just for starters) but have to be sensible. Maybe one day I'll setup a shed with ponds and enormous tanks.

australian lungfish is a big no no!

I nealy got a giant gourami before I started my native tank I might still get one but i'd rather keep it inside they seem to
have a lot of caricter.

I find a lot of people like the albino ones, but I like the original colour better.

Last edited:
Jason why are lungfish a no no? I have been considering one :D theres also a pacu I have my eyes on but the costs down the end of the road are quite high!

Have to agree with GGs, I just hate how people treat them like gold fish always keeping them in such small tanks.

pretty sure the aussie lung fish is allowed rest are banned. I dont even get how the ban list works? They say once they are in they are fine but if caught bringing them over issues?

These are all they show as noxious

Protopterus aethiopicus Marbled lungfish
Protopterus amphibius Gilled lungfish
Protopterus annectens West African lungfish
Protopterus dolloi Slender lungfish

and on a info note ;) lung fish can build a cocoon if they run out of water which allows them to live until water fills the lake again. pretty cool.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Queensland lungfish or a nother species?
sorry about the replies my internet is slow tonight.

If we hook them on the line up here we cant even touch them you have to cut the line.

freshwater-lungfish-500.jpg

this is the one i'm talking about (Neoceratodus forsteri).

Last edited:
Not 100% sure these people who keep aussie lung fish (this is what they call them) always admired them never looked into it.
yup they look like that just a bit bigger

Are you talking about the Queensland lungfish or a nother species?
sorry about the replies my internet is slow tonight.

If we hook them on the line up here we cant even touch them you have to cut the line.

freshwater-lungfish-500.jpg

this is the one i'm talking about (Neoceratodus forsteri).

I want one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back