Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We picked these guys up from the airport yesterday, settled in well already.
They are awesome, really entertaining and inquisitive, happy to be handled too!

IMAG0294.jpgIMAG0296.jpgIMAG0300.jpg

We picked these guys up from the airport yesterday, settled in well already.
They are awesome, really entertaining and inquisitive, happy to be handled too!

View attachment 254184View attachment 254185View attachment 254186

Nice!

Here's my ambush monitor lol

3a6afc81-e4d9-c810.jpg

i had a boys look .... is there any caudo photo's or keepers on here? and if so enclosures etc.​
this is my caudos cage i dont actually have them yet will be getting them in roughly 2 weeks :) im going to be adding a vertically pole upon the advice of a caudo keeper with another light because they like to bask vertically. the dimensions are 4ft x 4ft x 2ft so im going to need to add a lot more branches so they can use the full height of the enclosure so is almost done :)

P1000942.jpg

P1000944.jpg

P1000943.jpg

P1000941.jpg

fixing the attachments now

Last edited:
New little Lacie female.... what else?, thanks Tim:)!

Attachments

• 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    003 [1600x1200].jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    004 [1600x1200].jpg
    131 KB · Views: 140
Contrasting monster Gippsland male, 330mm snout-vent at 6 months-IT'S ALIVE!! No I'm not "power feeding".

Attachments

• Jipp again 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Jipp again 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Jipp again 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Jipp again 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 139
Sinners121

The breeders in the state powerfeed their monitors to get them to breeding size in less than a year.
It's very hard on their bodies and similarly if you do that to any reptile it shortens their life span.
24/7 Heat and food every day. Recipe for an unhealthy varanid.

The breeders in the state powerfeed their monitors to get them to breeding size in less than a year.
It's very hard on their bodies and similarly if you do that to any reptile it shortens their life span.

Can you point me at any current documented evidence of this Mulgaaustralis? Powerfeeding sounds dangerous.

Sinners121

One person in particular, who claims he can get Lace monitors to breeding size within their first year, I believe has lost many of his females at a relatively early age, though it would seem mostly through the lack of provision of suitable nesting sites.

but then what with monitors/ lizards that breed within a year? does that mean supplying them with enough food to get to breeding size is power feeding? i would love to see some evidence to back this up even if it is only anecdotal. i agree monitors such as lace monitors probably shouldn't be getting to breeding size within a year however i am still not convinced that power feeding is a term that can be used for most monitors.

I would tend to agree with Sinners. Everything I read about them says they should always have food available while young. So if they should always have food anyway, what would be considered power feeding? Where's David when we need him haha

I agree, if given plenty of exercise and optimum temps, it would likely be difficult to overfeed juvenile monitors of most species, but I've seen plenty of obese adult sized captive monitors, particularly noticable when compared to their wild counterparts, so something's going horribly wrong somewhere? I suspect some keepers continue to feed larger animals at hatchling/ juvenile rates (an all you can eat diet) rather than reducing intake accordingly. Part of the reason why "environmental enrichment" options should be a consideration when aquiring larger species of monitors, to avoid boredom and associated inactivity.

Many odatria likely reach breeding size in the wild within their first year, so this is occuring naturally anyway. Gillens immediately spring to mind.

Latest posts

Back