Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it didn't come from the garden like his skinks....

I agree 100%. Some individuals need to learn not only that taking from the wild is illegal (even garden skinks) but also to properly identify the species they keep. GeckoJosh, it seems that even the most easily discernible species can stupify some of the "experts" on here...

Here is one of my pilbs.

Attachments

• 479323_280576872035875_1216640657_o.jpg
    479323_280576872035875_1216640657_o.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 145
****, just ran a quick google search and I have to agree with you all, the gecko sold to me as a Dtella Variegated is def a Christinus Marmoratus. What should I do in regards to the guy who sold it to me?

****, just ran a quick google search and I have to agree with you all, the gecko sold to me as a Dtella Variegated is def a Christinus Marmoratus. What should I do in regards to the guy who sold it to me?
Tell him to make up a better storey and put it back where it was found ;)

You obviously love reptiles, geckos off decent breeders don't cost all that much (levis,spiny-tails all around $100), then you will have something you will really enjoy.

Perhaps you should learn to accurately identify species when purchasing them, and as GekoJosh has stated, learn to buy from reputable breeders. You seem like the type that just goes for the quick and cheap and thus buy from some shady characters.

I would think, someone like yourself, whom feels knowledgeable enough to apply (and subsequently be granted) a take permit for some reptiles would understand the basics of identification and taxonomy... I guess I was wrong.

Also, the variegated dtella is known as Gehyra variegata, not Dtella variegated - learn to read and interpret scientific names. Also, when writing them, the starting letter of the genus is capitalised, not the starting letter of the species name, i.e. Gehyra variegata, NOT Gehyra Variegata...

Ill give him a call about it, and won't buy from him ever again.
Should I report him?

Anyway I won't give his name, but he advertises on PetPages from "Hoxton Park" in Sydney. I can only now say be wary of buying from this guy.

Sorry Rocket, I was only repeating what the seller told me. Ill get better with the scientific names in time.

Also Rocket, when I went to buy the reptiles off him, I was only going up there for 2 Eastern Water Skinks and 2 Copper Tailed Skinks, it was only after I saw the geckos he had that I thought they were really cute, I told him my setup and temps and he said one of the "Dtella" would fit right in, now I know its a marbled it has its own enclosure with a fair bit of height and a few nice thick branches it can climb.

And the only "permit" I have is my class 1 Reptile Licence.?

Last edited:
Ill give him a call about it, and won't buy from him ever again.
Should I report him?

Anyway I won't give his name, but he advertises on PetPages from "Hoxton Park" in Sydney. I can only now say be wary of buying from this guy.

Sorry Rocket, I was only repeating what the seller told me. Ill get better with the scientific names in time.

I know the guy who you mean, he does this crap all the time

When buying reptiles beware people who seem to only sell species found in their local area - particularly when they are reptiles that arent that common in captivity

I know the guy who you mean, he does this crap all the time

When buying reptiles beware people who seem to only sell species found in their local area - particularly when they are reptiles that arent that common in captivity

Like 30-40 adult vitattus to choose from , non of which have original tails ....

Like 30-40 adult vitattus to choose from , non of which have original tails ....

This! And when they are not even apologetic about the terrible state of the animals, why they have so many in such a state, why they are selling in a hurry, and I could go on and on.

There is another one on FB at the moment from Ashcroft doing the same thing.

I think in the past month I've seen him advertise about 10 species all of which one could catch in the bush easily in Western Sydney. And then another couple geckos from elsewhere, like this Christinus which you need to go a bit more west for and Bynoes which you need to go even a bit more west for.

The only question I have is how he got them on licence in the first place, the Eastern Water Skinks and the Copper Tailed Skinks he sold me are on licence... The Christinus is on a Dtella licence, fixing that up today.

You buy yourself a mommy and daddy water skink and you write down on your license they bred and had 20 babies, at which time you go and catch 20 water skinks and pretend they are the babies. ;) Happens all the time, really common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back