Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goyder River Rainbow. Melanotaenia trifasciata
rainbows5.jpg

Maybe mate it's strange though.

Honey Blue-Eyes. Pseudomugil mellis
honey-blue-eye_1.jpg

pasific Blue-Eye. Pseudomugil signifer
male350px.jpg

Spotted Blue-Eye. Pseudomugil gertrudae
250x183x1_198643-1.jpg

Threadfin Rainbow. Iriatherina werneri
Iriatherina_werneri_threadfin_rainbowfish.jpg

Empire Gudgeon. Hypseleotris compressa
gallery_25052009_21d79ff.jpg

Some nice common New Guinea rainbows
Red Rainbow. Glossolepis incisus
incisus_NA.jpg

Neon Rainbow. Melanotaenia spledida
rainbow-fish-lg.jpg

My sump was outside but the stuff i'm feeding him now has to be better for him than insects lol.

Last edited:
mmmm I dont know what are you feeding him?

I know the fish I feed prawns everyday compared to high grade pellets grow much faster.

Nice fish btw. Are these yours or google images?

No these are not mine I just put them on there where a few people interesed in the natives.
I have been feeding him fish and frozen food maybe he was just going through a spert.

They have been pritty under rated in the past but there becoming popular, and you are seeing them more and more in the
petshops now wich is good, years ago you had to catch them.

A frend of mine showed me his native tank the other day and it was full of wild green sowdtails I walked away shaking
my head lol.

Last edited:
Of all the tanks I've had, my favourite would have been my lil 3 foot native tank with tahitian moon sand, driftwood and thin vals. It was a simple set up but looked amazing with the fish I had in there which were threadfin rainbows and spotted blue eyes. Unfortunaltely, I don't have any pics of it as I didnt even have a phone those days :(
The fish looked unreal on the black sand!

Those threadfin rainbows and empire gudgeons are amazing fish,I was never aware of them,I have a spare bow front 3 foot tank atm.I think I know what I'm going to put in there now! I've only ever kept the large natives.thanks for opening my eyes to these beautifull fish!

Those threadfin rainbows and empire gudgeons are amazing fish,I was never aware of them,I have a spare bow front 3 foot tank atm.I think I know what I'm going to put in there now! I've only ever kept the large natives.thanks for opening my eyes to these beautifull fish!
Theres heaps of nice little native those are just a few, i'll get some more pics and put them up when I get a chance,
they get more colour to them when you put more female to male ratio, they try and impress otherwise some dont get
there colour, but most make good comunity fish so thats a bonus to.

I snapped a pick of my only tank that I have going ATM,used to have 3 more but space got the better of me.I rent so moving the big tanks around every year or so just got to much! Big fish hate moves I found.but now I have seen those little natives I don't think I can resist to squeeze in one more.lol

ttgd1 nice setup you got there.

Cheers! I was just looking back at the start of this thread,and was wondering what substrate your using in
your native tank? I really like the look of it.

Well I have redone the discus tank. what can i say? I suck @ aquascaping lol

It looks better then it did at the start but gee it really is hard to make a tank pop like some people can.

The video hardly does the tank justice but. all the tetras schooling around with the slowness of the discus and geos is amazing + all the varying colors is really great.

Stock is

8 Discus
6 Rio branco geos
6 roselines
12 cory steberia
4 plecos (3 marbles 1 peper)
60 Tetras

5x20x3 high, have to move some of the tetras when they grow. should be fine for a few years. anyways tell me what u think I should change to make it look better please! I dont know it dose not pop like other tanks =( sorry for the video quality also.

[video=youtube;0MT2k5L6UTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MT2k5L6UTg[/video]

Timmeh103 You should get some interesting colours out of those discus, I bred them 22 years ago the colour range back
then was pritty limited, they where starting to get solid blues and checkerd back then, some of the colours now are amazing.

Cheers! I was just looking back at the start of this thread,and was wondering what substrate your using in
your native tank? I really like the look of it.
Mate it is unwashed sand and river rock strait out of the river, I put it all in and aranged it filled it up and let it settle for a couple of weeks with the filter going, then drained it and carefully filled it again, cant get any more orthentic than that even the weed is from there, just have to be patiant thow and let it settle.

Your tank looks ok squirtle, the person that has to like it is you, your the one that has to live with it if I don't like one of my setups I just do it again thats part of the fun.

Last edited:
The tanks I like I can not create xD I love tom barrs work, his dutch and discus tank are my dreams but I never give planted a fair shot.

I dont mind it, I am more of a fish guy, healthy fish with good grow rates give me pleasure but the misses hates these "bare tanks" in the bedroom so I tried lol.

Read up on it, it's not hard just takes some experimenting, and you have to know the plant requirements.

I was planning on doing a Victorian native tank, so far I have come up with a list of 5 fish that Im hoping will work out together and look good. Its taken me a little while and Ive gone through quite a lot but any input would be appreciated.
1. Western Carp Gudgeon
2. Murray (River) Rainbowfish
3. Purple spotted Gudgeon
4. Souther Pygmy Perch
5. Dwarf Flat-Headed Gudgeon

Im still considering a larger fish or two as well but so far cant find anything suitable that doesnt grow too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back