show us your exotic birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a cockatiel or budgie screech would make me mental too, because it's pretty constant...infact, the neighbours cockatiels make me crazy!
Sulphurs, in my opinion, are worse...yeah. Also (and it's just my opinion) I find blacks as a whole to be calmer birds than Sulphurs. I'm not saying there aren't nice and calm ones out there, of course there are, but I've just found every black I've met, of all ages, to be calm birds.
The thing about a Red Tails screech, too me, is at LEAST it's a deep sound! I cannot stand the sound of higher pitched birds like Alexandrines. But with that said different subspecies calls vary from what I've heard.

SO, anyway, yes I agree with what you said.
As long as Harvey has something to keep him occupied, he isn't noisey. He cracks a hissy every now and then, but is pretty good.

I love the goofy faces of African Greys :)
and there's no denying the stunning size and plumage of a Blue and Gold, and I know it's weird, but I cannot get over their tongues! Stevo2 on here informed me it's because they have a bone in their tongue! weird, weird, amazing bird!
definitively worth saving for the bird you want :)

116_3843_2.jpg

116_3839_2.jpg

116_3862_2.jpg

he was Hatched 30-3-2011....
are you asking as he displays the female colours? as yeah, it's because he's immature

he was Hatched 30-3-2011....
are you asking as he displays the female colours? as yeah, it's because he's immature

oh ok..nah i just was curious lol and yeh i know they show immature colours when young. :) tho i can actually see some red showing on his tail in ur last pic.

Last edited:
oh ok..nah i just was curious lol and yeh i know they show immature colours when young. :) tho i can actually see some red showing on his tail in ur last pic.

Yeah that's his immature colouring still though, his tail is red/orange/yellow with black stripes.
also...LOL that's his only remaining coloured tail feather.
He damaged them in the freight box 8 months ago, and slowly, one by one, they broke off completely (he must've turned around and broken them on the cocky mesh on the front),
he's only just starting too moult now (I think), so soon he'll have a tail once again!
there are the best pics I have of his tail hahaha, so bad! The one of him on my boyfriends arm is the day I got him

IMAG03242.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

Naww he is adorable :)
Awesome, thanks for the info :)

Thanks, and no worries :)

my four parrots live inside, can get a bit a loud when our 3 boys arrive home from school but overall its not too bad, my female hahn and my female amazon are both very sweet parrots , the male hahn has become a bit nippy since the arrival of the female , my male ecky is the quietest , he is a real chatterbox though and has a huge vocabulary but he is very hormonal and will try and mate all humans he comes into contact with , my amazon just loves head scratches and Lady Ga Ga she gets very excited and will try and sing along to her favourite songs.

here are a couple of new pics.

Attachments

• rivals.jpg
    rivals.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 120
  • _MG_9592 (640x360).jpg
    _MG_9592 (640x360).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 108
  • lav close.jpg
    lav close.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 123
thanks she loves her food probably a tad overweight because unlike my ecky she refuses to do laps around the house. The hahns are characters my female loves to be scratched and can be quite clingy where as the male is a bit more independent.

your black too is gorgeous my husband has always been rather keen on them but as our birds are all inside i think they would be high maintenance in that they need to keep their beak occupied lol.

Also love that the Amazon and Ecky pic is called rivals haha
Nawhh well...that sounds hard. I would've thought it'd love too fly!

Aw thank you! Yes...just finished making him a heap of new gum tree perches. So how is he repaying me? currently ripping them too pieces.
He has a calcium perch he usually loves to sit on out his cage, but today is "im gonna undo this every 2 seconds even when done up with pliers!" day. But he goes looking for it straight after destroying it!

I can't imagine having s bird that DOESN'T destroy freaking everything in two seconds!

What are the Hanhs like in that respect? they're so freaking adorable and I just wanna cuddle it haha

If you can deal with the sheer, unrelenting destruction, they're very loving birds. Doesn't like to be scratched or anything, but loves to be with you.

Sarah what are the main differences between the ecky and the amazon? My wife and I have been ummming and ahhhring about which one we would like to get.

Having 4 young kids has made the decision a bit harder as we are really trying to work out what will fit better into our family.

Yeah that's his immature colouring still though, his tail is red/orange/yellow with black stripes.
also...LOL that's his only remaining coloured tail feather.
He damaged them in the freight box 8 months ago, and slowly, one by one, they broke off completely (he must've turned around and broken them on the cocky mesh on the front),
he's only just starting too moult now (I think), so soon he'll have a tail once again!
there are the best pics I have of his tail hahaha, so bad! The one of him on my boyfriends arm is the day I got him

haha ur poor birds tail..it looks really weird, a big bird with such a little messed up tail lol hopefully he is moulting so he can get his tail back :)
also do u know as an estimate how big his wingspan is?

Ricko
i have 3 boys all have grown up with birds, i think if i had to choose between an amazon and an ecky i would go an amazon any day , i bought my amazon as an 18month old from a friend. She adores my husband she likes the boys too, loves her scratches, she knows how to entertain herself she loves to play with her toys ,my 7y ecky i ve had since he was 6months old , he doesnt play with toys unless he is in a bad mood then he will bash his rubber bell toy to bits, he will go to anyone but i find eckies seem to get rather hormonal around age 3 or 4y or later ours started when we brought home our amazon a year ago . Eckies are prone to feather plucking ive yet to meet a pet ecky that hasnt gone through this and i know a quite a few people with male eckies , they dont really like to be scratched at all but will happily sit on your shoulder for ages. Eckies need a special diet more fruit and vegetables 80% and 20 % dry food. They are pretty intelligent my ecky rattles off heaps of stuff that most of it he has picked up from me , he can also laugh and sneeze .Its just a bit frustrating now that he has plucked all his down feathers out and is bald under his green coat of feathers, you cant see it until he flies or lifts up his wings.

Blue fronted amazons and yellow crowns can make great pets, there has been a good article i think in birdkeeper recently on lilac amazons and what fantastic pets they make and that they are pretty quiet for an amazon, but not many people breed them. The only downside i think is our amazon can get noisey when the boys come home from school , she is quiet all day long with the ocasional chatter, but when she hears them she sometimes has the urge to join in but it never lasts long and she is easily distracted.

Vampstorso

unless its a shredding toy , toys seem to last with my hahns , they are chewers but nothing like my amazon , i rotate all toys so they dont get bored. They have a tent they sleep in at night they also use every square inch of their cage unlike my other two. They get very excited when a new toy is introduced, if its left in the amazons sight its usually destroyed in minutes. I can imagine you cant leave your black too unattended inside the house with their need to chew and destroy lol .

Archie is very intollerant of poor Laverne she was use to an ecky in her previous home but Archie just likes to be boss and where ever she perches he will chase her from her spot, in the end she will often go back inside her cage. But she gets plenty of time out on her own and so does he.

I never have my hahns out with my big birds, one day a week after i got my 2nd hahn my Archie flew onto their cage and before i could get to him he had bit my female hahn's beak right at the top i had to rush her to the bird vet on the other side of town and i was very lucky it could have been lot worse then what it was. I now have the top and sides covered and never leave Archie unsupervised.

i think there is no more room now for another parrot with our 4 will just have to admire the black toos at Melbourne Zoo.

What are the different species of macaws worth these days?

Still around the 5k mark?

you can get mini macaw "hahn" for 1k and 4.5k-5.5 for a handreared blue and gold.

at my dads they have 8 birds.....
1x male eckie "Gandolf"
1x female cockateil "Chelsea"
1x Sun Conure "Moses"
1 x green quaker "Jesus"
1 x Sulfur Crested "CockyBob" - or nutcase as i call him coz he's 10yrs old, his orginal owner died and he has a few screws loose
1 x Rainbow Lorikeet "Wheezy"
1 x pineapple conure "Cranky" she bites everyone else but me
1 x nandae "Ducky"

Gandie
393992_2343724916642_772357767_n.jpg

Wheezy
387410_2343835039395_1710813786_n.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of some of my exotic birds.
I keep:
2 scaly breasted lorikeets (native)
5 cockatiels (native)
2 Green cheek conures (exotic)
2 princess parrots (native)
2 short billed corellas (native)
2 nanday conures (exotic)
2 crimson wing parrots (native)
2 kakarikis (exotic)
1 sulphur crested (native)
1 superb parrot (native)
1 musk lorikeet (native)