Swollen children's python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where the OP said they were going to replace them. Nothing wrong with laughing about the cost of a vet bill ;)

if you didn't laugh you'd cry! I dont know what type of tongs you use but I use the plastic end ones, the ones you'd buy for non stick pans. Never ever had a problem with striking them, and they aren't pointy either like forceps or tweesers

Last edited:
yep i use exact same ones, with red rubber ends.... i had dropped the mouse by accident, left it a few mins and decided to come back and pick it up as the snake didnt seem to be interested, tongs must have had scent on them, as i went to move the tongs into the enclosure and straight down the front glass she was onto them so fast from the back of the tank... big lesson learned.

Lookin better, swelling is down, lots of blood and liquid inside her mouth, but that was there before too.. Much more active when I get her out for her meds, She is starting to show signs of shedding too.

Any pictures of her now? Hope she continues her quick recovery.

252a7e64.jpg

46440651.jpg

c6f24aa6.jpg

bit of sand stuck to her jaw from the liquid coming from her mouth, the infection is on her right hand side of the lower jaw.

so much more active when i got her out for her meds then!! crawled around the bed after i let her head go... im amazed if not been bitted trying to shove a syringe down her throat!!!

I hope for your sake pythons dont have a memory 'like an elephant' :shock:

When she gets better and feels up to biting you..... she will save up and take your head off :lol:

Great news she is on the mend :)

wow seen this meny time when working at pet shop in qld i allways try to get people to feed straght from there hands insted of tongs . i have seen peole loose there pythons fromthe same thing and even seen broken jaws . i you are affrade of getting biten just lay the food item away from were the python is thay will still find it best not to use tong to feed snakes unless its vens you have. any way beest of luck for you and i hpoe your python recovers.

wow, thanks for sharing your story, i think ill stick with offering food by hand after all!!
good to hear shes looking better!!

Glad she is on the mend, big difference between the first pics u posted to the last!! U mentioned she had some sand stuck to her mouth because of the 'oozing'......just a suggestion, but i would consider moving her off the sand so she doesnt end up becoming infected all over again. Besides that, i had my bredli on sand for a day, i removed it fast, as after having a drink, she got some stuck in her eye, she was fine, but it scared me, i now use astro turf, but even paper or paper towel or something similar so there isnt anything that can stick to her mouth would probably be better.

Are you injecting Fortum intramuscularly? Great stuff, a bit of silverzine spread over the site seems to help when dealing with stomatitis etc. as well.

well great news! woke up this morning to find she had shed and was out and about and active! 1 more day of treatment left, havent had the swab results back from the lab yet, but prob not needed in the end as its cleared up from what the vet gave me anyways.... had her out on the couch for an hour or so and she looked great.

it has been about 2 weeks since her last feed, so i think i will go and get some much smaller mice to feed her on for a bit, her jaw must still be a bite sore.

in regards to the sand, i thought this one over and over, and ive come across from a marine reef tank as my hobby, and spent so long making my reef look as natural as possible, as i also believed the more natural the set up the more natural for the inhabitants, i understand with snakes its not quite the same, but i really do like to set up my creatures environements to look natural and impressive. for me its not just enough to have a cool creature, i like to have a cool natural enviroment to observe them in too... but please tell me if this is stupid... i am still a massive beginer... i will take on the hand feeding advice though!!!!

ill get a pic up of the medication tommorow, in bed now, CBF to get out!!! heres some pics from tonight

6b6b4698.jpg

32b02e51.jpg

0da459bd.jpg

for comparison

f2f763f7.jpg

when do u guys think i should feed her next? wait a few more days yet?

and now for my next problem..... my lovely/evil boxer puppy...

8062557e.jpg

Last edited:
well great news! woke up this morning to find she had shed and was out and about and active! 1 more day of treatment left, havent had the swab results back from the lab yet, but prob not needed in the end as its cleared up from what the vet gave me anyways.... had her out on the couch for an hour or so and she looked great.

it has been about 2 weeks since her last feed, so i think i will go and get some much smaller mice to feed her on for a bit, her jaw must still be a bite sore.

in regards to the sand, i thought this one over and over, and ive come across from a marine reef tank as my hobby, and spent so long making my reef look as natural as possible, as i also believed the more natural the set up the more natural for the inhabitants, i understand with snakes its not quite the same, but i really do like to set up my creatures environements to look natural and impressive. for me its not just enough to have a cool creature, i like to have a cool natural enviroment to observe them in too... but please tell me if this is stupid... i am still a massive beginer... i will take on the hand feeding advice though!!!!

ill get a pic up of the medication tommorow, in bed now, CBF to get out!!! heres some pics from tonight

6b6b4698.jpg

32b02e51.jpg

0da459bd.jpg

for comparison

f2f763f7.jpg

when do u guys think i should feed her next? wait a few more days yet?

and now for my next problem..... my lovely/evil boxer puppy...

8062557e.jpg

Personally i wouldn't feed it for another month or two, that mouth is still inflamed. It won't hurt the snake to go off the food for that long but feeding it could further aggravate the mouth wound. Keep the temps up and get some silverzine onto it. Newspaper is the best option as a substrate for the moment with minimal cage furnishings. A basking spot around 35 atleast, a clean environment, plenty of water and minimal handling would be best.

Well I took the snake back to the vet today, noticed her throat was swelling up again and bloody liquid in the mouth during giving the medication this morning.

The Medication was butryl

Change of plan now, injections only every 48 hours so we don't disturb the head/jaw, whatever it is defiantly "burst" this morning as the discharge was quite significant and got worse after handling around the head, and the the puffiness was reduced after all this.

Will keep u guys posted

Last edited:
thanks for the update mate. Hope all goes well :)

Well I took the snake back to the vet today, noticed her throat was swelling up again and bloody liquid in the mouth during giving the medication this morning.

The Medication was butryl

Change of plan now, injections only every 48 hours so we don't disturb the head/jaw, whatever it is defiantly "burst" this morning as the discharge was quite significant and got worse after handling around the head, and the the puffiness was reduced after all this.

Will keep u guys posted

Baytril is rubbish, get your vet to look into Fortum and organise a course of it for you. Silverzine on the mouth wound should help it heal up also, applied when the snakes pulled out for injections.

it sounds absolutely awful

the thought of it bursting....eeek

where are you....are you seeing the best reptile vet in your area.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back