Rat ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work cwt ^ at least someone on here agrees there are better ways of identifying them without cutting up parts of thier body.....

common sense rules ;)

[h=3]Nail Polish is very toxic for rats they also like the taste so would tent to chew it off. Sharpies are non toxic or crayola perm markers and come in different colours you could put a ring around each rat you need to identify. Ear notching, tagging or any injury to the ear can cause infection which can then lead to the death of the rat. .

Dead right mate :D agree +1

Last edited:
I will go with the permanent marker, I do not want to cut holes in their ears, or hurt them in anyway, even being poisoned.... :/

I will go with the permanent marker, I do not want to cut holes in their ears, or hurt them in anyway, even being poisoned.... :/

Look for the ones that say 'non toxic' My nephew sucked most of the ink out of a texta type pen when he was about 2.... no ill effects, so I dont think it will harm the rat or any snake that might eventually eat it ;)

I have a few pews as well, so I am going to try it as well...... let us know how you go.... I will too :)

Hi guys, I have 4 Red eyed white rats and was thinking of finding a HUMANE method of identifying them?
I am new to breeding rats and cannot find any info on humane ways to ID them, like rings(that a bird wears around its foot) or food dye, as they are white?
Or would ear tags be better, even though I dont really like them :/
Just throwing this up.... how do you ID your rats when they look the same, lol?
Thanks

Paint the toe nails a different colour for each rat!!
(only needs 1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you let us (me) know how you go please. I asked the same thing a while ago and didn't get any answers that I liked

Paint toe nails (or claws) a different colour for each rat.
Even if you only paint 1 nail per rat
(just like zoos do it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i worked maintaining a Uni rodent collection and a mammal collection and ear notching is the accepted method,and believe me Animal ethics are very fussy on what can be done with animals and they allow this method

Ear notching is defiantly an accepted method and isn't considered painful, no worse then getting an ear peorcing in humans,

If done at a pinkie age the rodents arnt even meant to feel a thing.

Im sure there are others on hear that know more about it

Many comments here who show their lack of knowledge towards an animal that they apparently care for.
Snake Pimp and Echiopis are right on the money.

Cheers
Mulgaaaustralis

Ear notching is defiantly an accepted method and isn't considered painful, no worse then getting an ear peorcing in humans,

If done at a pinkie age the rodents arnt even meant to feel a thing.

Im sure there are others on hear that know more about it

How could you find a pinkies ear? What would you do it with that wouldnt remove the entire ear if you could find it?:shock:

Imo, rats ears are delicate.... if the rats are in a cage together, the others might chew at each others ears? A hole might catch and tear, or be chewed by others? become infected?:rolleyes:

Got some non toxic highlighters the other day, have it on the rats and they dont care:
Pups4.jpgSparkpup4.1.jpg
Tails have the marker on it, sorry for the bad quality pics - iphone.

Last edited:
To quote Scorps If done at a pinkie age the rodents arnt even meant to feel a thing.
Can't feel a thing I would not agree with this. Pinkies if grabbed by Mum and move will squeek to me this means they can feel. Ears are sensitive in human or animal therefore putting a hole cut what ever in them you are sure and they are sure to feel it. There is also the risk of infection people say ear tagging ripping is allowable in labs well look at the different enviroment that lab rats live in compaired to house rats. We clean them regularly but they are not the full on germ free clean as a pin enviroment. Yes the rats are feed to our pet snakes but does this mean that they should suffer be hurt and exposed to potential infection I think not they are intellegant animals with feelings and meanings to life treat them with the respect that they deserve. Great markings with the rats BlackHeaded92 easy to see and safe for rat other rats and snakes.

What about different coloured vests or sunglasses?
They'd look pretty cool too.

You could introduce them to several 'rat' type deities. They'll soon break off into their own little groups. Of course the independent thinkers will be drinking and protesting loudly in their own corner.

Darlyn will you source the sunglasses and I will try my hand at the vest. Problem is they might use the material for nesting. Hence starting the id problem all over again.

lol

The texta idea is working wonders, no rub off (it has faded a bit but you can still see it clearly). Mums are too busy cleaning their velvet "Rittens" (Pups) to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back