ARR! My electricity bill doubled!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we just got the first power bill since I've gotten set up... I owe mum and dad an extra $100 on top of my rent, and thats just for 2 months :(
so thats approx $50 a month or $1.65 per day..........Dogs and cats cost more than that to run every day !!Women cost slightly more to run per day...........lol

so thats approx $50 a month or $1.65 per day..........Dogs and cats cost more than that to run every day !!Women cost slightly more to run per day...........lol
so thats about 5-6 kilowatts a day or about 250 watts 24/7.

Haven't had a power bill for 3 years. With 20 solar panels on the roof they will have paid for themselves in another year.
Our power bills used to be about $2400 per year.

My bill was $150 this time last year. This year its $330.
i run
2 x 100 watt heat globes
1 x 150 watt heat globe
1 x 125 watt MVB in the day only
1 x 26 watt UVA/UVB globe in the day only
1 x heat mat (dont know wattage, but its very small for a stimi in a click clack).
1 x 15 watt heat cord

the bill sain i use 21 untits a day on average @ $5 a day.

A bit late, but here is comparison of what your appliances are actually costing to run, assuming the heat mat is 7W...

Synergy bills on a 60 day period. The above appliances would cost you $140.93 to run.
That is using nearly 11 units per day at an average of $2.35 a day.
That is based on the current cost of 21.87c per unit for Perth residential.
As best I can ascertain it is due to go up to 24.89 on 1 July.

I done up a spread sheet so I could see where my biggest running costs are.
Per day it cost me approx $1.95 for all my animals (14 geckos,2 frogs and 2 EWD) and insects also.
I have been looking into LED lighting to replace some fluorescents I use only for day/night cycle.

We have a quarterly bill around 1500. We have 13 panels being installed Friday hopefully it will help

Cheers
scott

what part of "DON'T REPLY" do you not get? no one wants to hear your rubbish. Get a life moron and go and fight with your own kind. Clealy you have social issues and have no people skills. This forum is full of people so learn fast, buddy!
While I may or may not lack "social skills" I can certainly use a calculator in conjunction with my electricity bill to figure out the running cost of an appliance without needing to spam a reptile forum about it........unlike some.

i sometimes wonder how many of your 75 post thats you have to date are similar to this one tumbleweed , you do seem to enjoy picking at the small things , why?

Tumbleweed, simply because something is easy or obvious to you, does not mean it is or should be easy or obvious to someone else. People vary. It is better to say nothing than to provide an answer that is arrogant or haughty, indicating that the recipient is in someway inferior for having asked. Just remember that some of us struggle with what other find easy.

Blue

While I may or may not lack "social skills" I can certainly use a calculator in conjunction with my electricity bill to figure out the running cost of an appliance without needing to spam a reptile forum about it........unlike some.

no people skills and dumb. can't be bothered arguing with a tool like you.

Check your usage against the usage same time last year. My power bill here in Sydney has almost doubled. Using the same amount of energy.:evil:
Same here, I'm well pissed off with all the so called percentage rises, when In actual fact they've been upping the bills steadily for the last couple of years............Its a joke, and allowed to continue, if this was happening in the Uk, on a similar unexplained level, the gas companies offices would be burned down....:)

no people skills and dumb. can't be bothered arguing with a tool like you.

the thing is, i am not running anything different in the house (appart from the reptiles) since last year. No new TV's, heating etc etc...nothing in my life has changed - except for the heat lamps. So i can't pin point it to anything else.
I know they chew power, but i didn't think 3 globes would make such an impact.

And I'm the "dumb" one.
If you haven't added any new appliances other than reptile heating wouldn't it be safe to assume that it is the cause of the added cost?
:rolleyes:

If you haven't added any new appliances other than reptile heating wouldn't it be safe to assume that it is the cause of the added cost?
:rolleyes:
nope with the prices of electricity going up id blame the government and the electrical companies , you know what happens when you "assume" things don't you tumbleweed , it makes you an a$$ , although something makes me think that thats what you strive to be in life

TumbleWeed,
Perhaps you missed the point of my earlier post. It isn't about the information you provide. It is the manner in which it is provided that people take exception to. "Dumb" is more about being a social retard than lacking in intellectual ability. Mind you, when you offer a 15 second solution like the "Synergy Energy Calculator, a particularly complex and lengthy program for doing complete residential energy audits, as a solution for determining the power consumption and costs of 7 items, you do leave yourself open to criticism.

I think I explained clearly enough what is required if you want a more positive response from other users. It is now up to you. Keep doing what you have been doing and you will keep getting the responses you have been getting.

Blue

My power bill has gone up as well, still not too high to worry as i have a cast iorn fire place witch heats my house and i cook most meals with gas so i save there. As im siting here with my lady watching my womas exploring there enclosure it dosnt seem to matter so much.

I used to work for an energy company here in QLD and gave the same advice like what has been said here like the light bulbs etc also have done the climate smart offer here in Brisbane too. One thing I would say is anything that heats is going to draw more power than other appliances eg only boil enough water for what you need in the kitchen use the dishwasher when it's full, try to avoid using electric clothes dryers and air con at temps that make it work harder to maintain the temps.
i have also stopped washing clothes in hot or warm water and use cold water washes only. Hope that gives you some other ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back