Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i have the magnetic scrapes but thats the hardest thing to keep clean, I find with the bigger tanks once its settles its doesnt need that much work. Im setting up overflow valves and a tap timer to do small auto water changes every day (small means the chorine isnt a problem as it is very unstable and disperses within a day). I have algae eaters in some tanks but none large enough to put with oscars and I prob wouldnt anyway because if they ate it the barb may proove to be a problem.

I had 4 pleco's in my tank previous to getting the turtle. When they were little they seemed to clean the glass a lot but as they got bigger they got lazier. They were all around 30cms in length when I sold them. They also crap everywhere and honestly seem to make more mess than they clean up! I love clown loaches hey. Great when you have a snail problem! I don't have a chlorine problem. I have 3 large 30L buckets that I fill and leave sitting in the sun for a few days. I'm pretty sure it's a good way to kill all the chlorine.

Yeah it is, Im just as lazy as I can be :) Yeah when they are big they eat more wood and vegies and do less cleaning lol.

Hey All, :)

I am really liking the idea of having big aquarium at the bottom of the enclosure I’m planning, similar to the one Just_Plain_Nuts showed us a pic of..only bigger

The aquarium in thinking of will quite big, about 200cm from left to right (length) x about 30-40cm front to back (width? x about 30cm depth of water ...(not sure what that is in litres)

Its for a Darwin and thinking of fish in the aquarium (gold fish or tropical ) [HELP][/HELP]

...Are there fish one can get that will keep the aquarium clean, like algae eaters ..or snails>> ? [HELP][/HELP]
(not that it'll be teaming with algae, lol-but at least this may help maintain the aquarium)

...Gold fish are pretty hardy ...tropical fish are high maintenance but at least they may be able to cope with the high temps in the enclosure..?

There are a few things I am concerned about though...your experience or knowledge will be great!

1> Water Temps for type of fish

2> Hygiene of drinking water for the Snake [HELP][/HELP]

(was thinking of maybe just putting a small drinking bowl in the rock wall, at least this can be changes daily and the snake has the option of clean, fresh water to drink from)....??

3> Snakes waste (urine and faeces) falling into the water....

4> Am I missing anything?

Have you thought about using a filter in there.... That might be a good idea maybe also having a drain pipe from the bottom to drain the water. Cat fish are good fish to clean all the crap out. Thinking more if you had a cabinate underneath you could run another tank and circulate the water with a pump I think it's a bit of overkill and maintenance would be masive checking water all the time but if done right would look good also if there is a large area of water a heater might be beneficial to help with temps in your tank.

Hi...

yeah i spoke to Just_Plain_Nuts about the filter (he has mentioned soemthing about it on page 1or 2 here)....but will a filter be enough to circulate and filtrate the water..that the snake has pooped into??

Dont you think the heat source that heats up the hot end of the snakes enclosure will be enough to heat the water for the fish...??

It would depend on the volume of water I would suspect not. But how often dose a snake poo maybe a weekly water change would be needed. Trial and error! Perhaps.

I think it's a bit more effort then it's worth but would look good with the right system

The heating in the enclosure is generally not enough to keep the water warm enough for tropical fish. As long as you limit the number of fish and include algae eaters and catfish we find they are very easy to maintain. I only clean mine once a month.

I was also thinking that you could make a much higher enclosure with it and not need heat mats (dont like them) at the bottom because if you had a heater in the water at 26 it would keep the low end of the enclosure at 26 and in theory you could just have a radiator or some type of heat source at the top. In my head it works and would make a great heat gradient. I really dont think the snake poo would be a problem, filters work for turtles. Thanks heaps JPN and longqi for the info on this thread, very helpful and given me heaps of ideas. :)

you should see the one we are doing now with an aquarium in the bottom, its our new Aussie Bush theme and will be showcased at the Gold Coast expo

you should see the one we are doing now with an aquarium in the bottom, its our new Aussie Bush theme and will be showcased at the Gold Coast expo

I bet that will look great! :p whoever you're building it for is going to get one hell of an enclosure! Very lucky! Hahaha.. :)

These are the kind of enclosures I think makes keeping reptiles so much fun. Melbourne zoo has some interesting Paludarium setups with snakes and fish. I believe it was a Water Python Enclosure.

These are the kind of enclosures I think makes keeping reptiles so much fun. Melbourne zoo has some interesting Paludarium setups with snakes and fish. I believe it was a Water Python Enclosure.

I didnt know that, been a while since Ive been to the zoo, think I might have to soon.

So I have another snake now, might have to start that enclosure. A jungle with an aquarium. Does anyone have a jungle in an enclosure with an aquarium, what do they have in the water?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back