Help - Is this normal??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silhou

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey :)
So I bought some fuzzie rats from Pisces frozen feeders today and noticed that some of them had some marks on them, my mum says it looks a lot like freezer burn and I'm thinking it's that, but I thought I'd see if anyone else actually knew what they are and if it's safe to feed to my snake. Thanks :)

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0769.jpg
I's only on these two and it's only on their faces.

geeze, try finding a local breeder these look old :p Can't beat them fresh with warm blood still in their veins....the pythons LOVE it :)

Just to clarify. I have the same ones for my 6 month old Woma.....r these definately fuzzies?? Can someone post a pic of a pinkie please. Many thanks.

pisces "quality" frozen feeders at it again :rolleyes:

pisces "quality" frozen feeders at it again :rolleyes:

It's funny you should say that. We have two choices for companies when it comes to frozen rodents up here (that I'm aware of so far).
Pisces is the one brand of the two that my snakes refuse and I mean utterly WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT eating. I've thrown out so many and somehow through a snap-lock container AND their resealable bag they managed to stink out my whole freezer. All my food stank like something was rotten and fermented. (Here is where I would insert a green smiley emote lol). And hauling out a chest freezer on my own to hose it out was a big job. Never again. Not to bash the company either, as I can't be sure that the pet store didn't leave the delivery sitting there long enough that they went bad, but I find it odd that 3-4 packs of assorted rodents have all been no-go for my two snakes.

ive only ever bought them once so i wouldn't really know if its a consistent thing but i have heard alot about the unique scent that pisces have and the lot i bought had the smell so imo its not the petshops id say its begging with pisces somehow

+1 for the freezer burn.

It's funny you should say that. We have two choices for companies when it comes to frozen rodents up here (that I'm aware of so far).
Pisces is the one brand of the two that my snakes refuse and I mean utterly WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT eating. I've thrown out so many and somehow through a snap-lock container AND their resealable bag they managed to stink out my whole freezer. All my food stank like something was rotten and fermented. (Here is where I would insert a green smiley emote lol). And hauling out a chest freezer on my own to hose it out was a big job. Never again. Not to bash the company either, as I can't be sure that the pet store didn't leave the delivery sitting there long enough that they went bad, but I find it odd that 3-4 packs of assorted rodents have all been no-go for my two snakes.

I get mine from Jeremy at Reptile Territory in Howard Springs. I think you have to buy $50 worth at a time though from memory. I "assume" he breeds his own as I've never noticed any brands on the bags (all in snap locks) and they're always the freshest I've used or seen up here. Cheaper too.

Ned

Myself and a friend i know wont buy pisces mice or rats. When thawed they have split in the gut and left a mess. Get another brand now which is much better and i always ask now if they are pisces or not when buying.

i buy all mine from breeders. way cheaper then buying from a petshop.. iv been really lucky in that mine are all killed and frozen the day before or their fresh killed.

Thanks guys, I've heard alot about Pisces too, but unfortunately it's hard to find many other brands down here as the reptile keeping hobby isn't that big. :(

As NTNed says try Reptile Territory, check out his website with sizes ect. He breeds them himself and they are
****e loads cheaper than pet stores. There is also a guy who sells rats at Coolalinga markets, they are also a good price and bred by the seller. They both also sell some great reptiles so you may come away with more mouths to feed : )

Jeremy from Reptile Territory will also drop them off if he happens to be going past.

OP they look like pinkies to me.(crappy ones)
Fuzzies have fuzz : )

Last edited:
They were the youngest looking two in the pack but theyre definatly labeled fuzzies :S, good old Pisces..
Thanks Darlyn, I'll look them up. :D

if your in NSW I thought you would have other suppliers,but you could also try Wokka on this site

Where abouts are you in NSW as this could help in pointing you to a rodent supplier close to
you.
That brand of rodents you are using ARE some of the worst on the market, They are not consistant
in sizing and always come with a bad smell.

Around the Newcastle/Sydney region, I've looked into a few other pet shops about it and I've found a few other places that stock rats from other brands, I'll check them out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back