Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phoebe

Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I spent a week (not long enough!) in the NT. Started in Darwin for a few nights with some mates in bands (they were playing some gigs) and then my buddy and I headed down to Katherine, then a cattle station at Mainoru which we stayed at for a few nights and then down to Mataranka. We only stayed for two nights at the cattle station but we managed to find a few reptiles. It's a shame time was an issue otherwise I would have liked to have stayed longer! Would have found heaps more I reckon. Still, it was an awesome experience. Here's a VERY small selection of the photos I took.

Me hugging a giant termite mound on our way out of Darwin.
DSCN0608.jpg

Gorgeous lookout on our way to Mainoru.
DSCN0677.jpg

A very small section of the cattle station we stayed at.
DSCN0733.jpg

Orange-naped snake Furina ornata
DSCN0744.jpg

Bynoe's gecko Heteronotia binoei
DSCN0764.jpg

Not entirely sure what this guy is...my guess is Diporiphora albilabris sobria..?
DSCN0772.jpg

Varanus baritji..?
DSCN0782.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

Nothern small-eyed snake Cryptophis pallidiceps. I found him dead :(
DSCN0821.jpg

This creek was on the property. Crocs in there somewhere!
DSCN0879.jpg

Archer fish.
DSCN0838.jpg

Love the landscape.
DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0949.jpg

Freshwater croc at Mataranka.
DSCN0963.jpg

We also found some salties at Fogg Dam. Unfortunately we arrived there at night and didn't have time to see it during the day. Next time!

nice pics. where in mataranka is the freshy? The roper? did you get the photo's walking along from the thermals?

nice pics. where in mataranka is the freshy? The roper? did you get the photo's walking along from the thermals?

Freshy was in the Waterhouse River near the thermals. Didn't get any pics of the thermals though. We didn't even notice the croc until a ranger turned up and pointed him out to us. We got so excited we jumped in the water in our clothes haha. Interesting experience being in the water so close to crocs :p

Looks like you and Karla had a great trip, thanks for sharing the pics.
Steve

Great pics, always so many photo oportunities up here. Nice to see you got out and saw the real Territory too while you were here phoebe, most people come up and visit the major tourist sites and get wowed by those. I came up for a 6 month look around........ In Jan 96...... Guess I'm still looking around.....lol.

Theres something that amazes me everyday up here, even after all these years, the people and the places are amazing and I wouldn't live anywhere else now, how could I....... And don't even start me on the weather.

Looks like you and Karla had a great trip, thanks for sharing the pics.
Steve

You know Karla?! And me apparently! Haha. Where have we met..?

Great pics, always so many photo oportunities up here. Nice to see you got out and saw the real Territory too while you were here phoebe, most people come up and visit the major tourist sites and get wowed by those. I came up for a 6 month look around........ In Jan 96...... Guess I'm still looking around.....lol.

Theres something that amazes me everyday up here, even after all these years, the people and the places are amazing and I wouldn't live anywhere else now, how could I....... And don't even start me on the weather.

I definitely can't wait to go back. First time was in October last year with the same guys I went up with this time. Though last year was mostly spent sitting around doing nothing for a week haha. We're all hoping to go back up there within the next year for more gigs...and I'll also be out hunting for reptiles and birds :p

Haha I don't exactly know you met a couple of time at the park, used to volunteer there a while ago, yeah I know Karla from the park but also outside the park, mates with Cory and Bronny to :) that's all

Fogg Dam is good for birds. But also Mary River borrow pits fir Gouldians, Pine Ck for Hooded Parrots, Mangarre for Rainbow Pitta and Gunlom for White-throated Grass Wrens.

...... And don't even start me on the weather.

And don't get me started on the weather these last couple of months!

Nice

I'm going up the Central Arnhem Rd tomorrow to plan the burning regime for 2012. The meeting will take a week and it's tents in country (BYO) for all concerned. TO's, pastoralists, govt. departments (it always amazes me that govt. mob will drive 8 hours each way to avoid camping in great country with the very people they are supposedly negotiating with), etc.

Great part of the world! Good pics.

Glad they built a bridge over the Mainoru River, a lot of cars came to grief there

Haha I don't exactly know you met a couple of time at the park, used to volunteer there a while ago, yeah I know Karla from the park but also outside the park, mates with Cory and Bronny to :) that's all

Ah yes I figured there would have been some sort of connection like that :p

Nice pics, did you stay somewhere on the station?

Yeah we stayed with the guys that run it. Heaps of fun :)

Nice

I'm going up the Central Arnhem Rd tomorrow to plan the burning regime for 2012. The meeting will take a week and it's tents in country (BYO) for all concerned. TO's, pastoralists, govt. departments (it always amazes me that govt. mob will drive 8 hours each way to avoid camping in great country with the very people they are supposedly negotiating with), etc.

Glad they built a bridge over the Mainoru River, a lot of cars came to grief there

Sounds awesome!
Haha we hired a car...unfortunately we couldn't get a 4wd...so we had to go with a Holden Cruze. It didn't quite agree with the road to Mainoru!

Sounds like you had a good trip, the NT is a fantastic place to be if your a herper. I couldn't get over the density/variety of reptiles when I was there in May, trying to work out how I can go back.

It really is an awesome place, I just spent a month up there for work so we got to find fauna during the day then go herping at night, it really was a great experience.

I might now know someone up there that can give me an intro to a T/O and might mean I can eventually get up into the wilderness of kakadu, so I'll be returning soon I hope

LOVE N.T.... it's still and always be home for me. Spent the first 20ish years of my life in Alice Springs and a lot of time in Darwin. My parents now manage Banka Banka Camping Ground. We're heading over on august 20th for a months holiday and can't wait! It will be my kids first time in Darwin and they are super excited!

GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing and getting me even more excited :D

Depends on the night, some nights it's teeming with herps other nights nothing, same goes for people, some nights you have the wall to yourself, while one night when I was there another 5 cars were doing the same thing :lol:

I definitely can't wait to go back. First time was in October last year with the same guys I went up with this time. Though last year was mostly spent sitting around doing nothing for a week haha. We're all hoping to go back up there within the next year for more gigs...and I'll also be out hunting for reptiles and birds :p

Haha... Noice, hope you's do gigs at the Railway Club while your up here next time too. Kane and Anna have done a great job getting it up and going again after being burnt down a couple of years back, best small live venue in Darwin now. Some great underground/alternate bands get there too.

You wanna be careful getting out and looking around up here though, you'll never never leave....:lol:

Fogg Dam is good for birds. But also Mary River borrow pits fir Gouldians, Pine Ck for Hooded Parrots, Mangarre for Rainbow Pitta and Gunlom for White-throated Grass Wrens.

And don't get me started on the weather these last couple of months!

Some awesome birds out at Fogg alright, was out there a couple of weeks ago with my folks, mostly Magpie Geese this time of year by the looks. There was a pair of Jabiru's though, Mum's favorite birds. Needless to say she got about 1000 photo's of them...:lol:

And yeah I'm hearing you about the weather, first time in nearly 17 years I've been thinking of buying some Uggh boots. My Bogan look could be complete...:lol:

Nice

Lucky bugger Steve, I'm stuck at home studying and doing assignments for my Dip in OHS.

I didn't know you worked for the "NT Wildfires" brigade mate..:shock::lol:.
Not all NT Gov workers will drive for 8 hours each way not to camp out somewhere, man if I drive to Katherine I stay the night. It would be against fatigue management procedures otherwise..:rolleyes::lol:. Might be at a mates awesome place on Gorge road though and an excuse to have a few dust suppressors, eat like a pig and dribble shi.... err.... solve the worlds problems...:lol:

Haha... Noice, hope you's do gigs at the Railway Club while your up here next time too. Kane and Anna have done a great job getting it up and going again after being burnt down a couple of years back, best small live venue in Darwin now. Some great underground/alternate bands get there too.

You wanna be careful getting out and looking around up here though, you'll never never leave....:lol:

Some awesome birds out at Fogg alright, was out there a couple of weeks ago with my folks, mostly Magpie Geese this time of year by the looks. There was a pair of Jabiru's though, Mum's favorite birds. Needless to say she got about 1000 photo's of them...:lol:

And yeah I'm hearing you about the weather, first time in nearly 17 years I've been thinking of buying some Uggh boots. My Bogan look could be complete...:lol:

Lucky bugger Steve, I'm stuck at home studying and doing assignments for my Dip in OHS.

I didn't know you worked for the "NT Wildfires" brigade mate..:shock::lol:.
Not all NT Gov workers will drive for 8 hours each way not to camp out somewhere, man if I drive to Katherine I stay the night. It would be against fatigue management procedures otherwise..:rolleyes::lol:. Might be at a mates awesome place on Gorge road though and an excuse to have a few dust suppressors, eat like a pig and dribble shi.... err.... solve the worlds problems...:lol:

Did two gigs this time round. First was at the Chippo...pretty much just a shed haha. Intimate party atmosphere. Loved it. Second gig was Terrorfest at Brownsmart in town.

And are you complaining about the weather up there!? Stop it!! It was perfect! It's freezing down here! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back