Temp Gun

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. 3 years of Tafe to become a sparky and 6 years part time uni of which I have done 4 so far to obtain my degree in electrical engineering which is paid for by the mining company I work for so no hec's debt :)
It would be impossible for me to work as an electrical designer without most of my degree completed. I haven't worked as a sparky for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would encourage anyone keeping reptiles to purchase a temp gun with a laser guide.They are invaluable to get an understanding of what's happening in your enclosures with regard to temps.They enable you to instantly check every corner of an enclosure as well as the reptile itself.They do not need to be accurate down to the last point of a degree,a couple of degrees either way is more than adequate.

Wouldn't the reading actually depend on how high you are above sea level when using freezing/boiling water as a means to calibrate any temperature reading device?
If "close enough" is "good enough" what's the point in having one in the first place?

You enjoy an argument - but... Good news for you...

The fact that isobaric pressure changes are evident by the minute, then, surely all scientific equipment that relies on pressure to any degree must be inaccurate... And, to any extent, there are a MULTITUDE of examples - but unless you're having some sort a freakishly awesome laboratory kind of like the one on Despicable Me, then I am quite convinced you're not going to calibrate your rectal thermometer either.

So... Within the 2 dp that you'd get as a difference... Yes, you heard me.. 2 dp difference, I think you can quite mildly say - so what!

The fact that isobaric pressure changes are evident by the minute, then, surely all scientific equipment that relies on pressure to any degree must be inaccurate... And, to any extent, there are a MULTITUDE of examples - but unless you're having some sort a freakishly awesome laboratory kind of like the one on Despicable Me, then I am quite convinced you're not going to calibrate your rectal thermometer either.

So... Within the 2 dp that you'd get as a difference... Yes, you heard me.. 2 dp difference, I think you can quite mildly say - so what!

He's not going to understand what you are saying. For starters you have no pictures!

Once again with my limited expert experience, i have to agree here as i take water sample readings such as DO% PH amougnst other & barometric pressure does effect the reading. We did an excersice one day with different barometric pressure setting calibrated & it made 5/8 of different between nothing.
I think you get my meaning. So what. Temp gun will give you a reasonable accurate reading for what a reptile keeper would want to know.
Cheers
Ian
except for internal temperatures where you need a chef or other type thermometers.LOL.

Last edited:
except for internal temperatures where you need a chef or other type thermometers.LOL.

hahaha :)
I have to admit I don't know much about cooking. I just set the oven at desired temp. I wonder if I should get some sort of meter to make sure the oven temp is correct :p

OMG what a thread to wade through to ind inof ona temp gun

Michael I am not taking my snakes temperature by putting a thermometer up its bum lol

Thanks guys now I have some info to go on ebay with !!

When I open the doors of my enclosures, heat escapes. I measure my temps with digital meters. That have two probes, so I can place them wherever I like, shut the doors and then, from what I can make out, get pretty accurate readings.
Now see, I want a temp gun but can they take readings through glass? Otherwise are you always taking a reading a few degrees lower than what it should be because heat has already escaped by opening the enclosure?

youre probably right...I hadnt thought about it

so tell me about the digital thermometers you use and where did you get them.....

Just type in digital thermometers for reptiles into google and many come up. There are also ones that measure humidity as well. The ones I use, like I said, have two sensors on thin cable about two meters long. I can position them anywhere in the enclosures and with a touch of a button, see what sensor is reading what.

When I open the doors of my enclosures, heat escapes. I measure my temps with digital meters. That have two probes, so I can place them wherever I like, shut the doors and then, from what I can make out, get pretty accurate readings.
Now see, I want a temp gun but can they take readings through glass? Otherwise are you always taking a reading a few degrees lower than what it should be because heat has already escaped by opening the enclosure?
Heat doesn't escape that quickly from heated tiles and surface temps. The heat that escapes is ambient air temp and you can't measure that with an ir heat gun. When heating with mats and cord it's all about surface temp.

Actually genius, I was in the commercial cookery trade for over 10 years. The 2 establishments I mentioned are regarded as 2 of Australia's most acclaimed (Hence, their hygiene practices are second to none).
If you can't see why an accurate,handheld temp gun would be beneficial in a commercial kitchen setting I will explain it to you.

Both fan-forced and convection ovens,steaming trays,walk in fridges and freezers,reach in fridges and freezers,brat pans not to mention checking refrigerated trucks which deliver meat,dairy and fruit and vegetables are of a suitable temperature.......no, there are absolutely no application where a reliable one could be used in that setting:rolleyes:

The point I was making with bringing up the industry is there are rules set in place by both OH&S and the Australian government which compel us to view and record these temperatures to insure the "safety zone" temps are met before being served to customers AND recorded to insure that if there is a case of food poisoning in that establishment or an outbreak of a contaminant which is the product of incorrect temperatures that there is documentation of those readings not just for the day in question but of that week,month,quarter.

Secondly, every TAFE institution in Australia that teaches commercial cookery will tell you more than once that if a temp gun is used a probe thermometer has to be used afterwards to validate the reading was correct, now these institutions have cooking equipment which exceed $60,000 per unit.....do you really think that they wouldn't use an instrument that would save the workers in the industry at least an hour per day IF that instrument was reliable?
Probably the same reason you won't see a chef or food scientist using one to measure the temperature of chocolate,toffee or spun sugar.
And the same reason all walk in cooling and freezing units that use digital technology also have analogue thermometers installed in them.

If you think a digital temperature gun will stay calibrated through it's life and without giving at least one false reading you must live in la-la land. And I'm sure you have calibrated it using $25,000 thermal imagining equipment:rolleyes:.....just like I had my family car tuned by Maserati.

At the end of the day you can use the old "baby bottle test" method to test your enclosure temperatures for all I care. I simply stated that using a single digital form of temperature reading is taking a risk that I personally won't take with my live animals.

Can u imagine if we were to go to your house, check cables for heating with a probe? Putting a conductive material into live wires! Yea great idea .. All industries use different things for their advantages and safety. You wouldn't see a tyre shop using a dial gauge (for those who don't know a dial gauge is used for lathes for material straightness) to make sure the wheel is round.

They're not 100% accurate.. nor are mercury or alcohol thermometers... Actually, nor are thermocouples or HDRs... They all serve their purpose... They're all 'precise' with inaccuracies... The best you can do is adequately calibrate and that's how they do it in the lab... So why would it be any different in the house?

I've often checked digital thermometers vs mercury or alcohol thermometers and found that all three give different readings in the same glass of melting ice...

One of the best ways to monitor temperature would be to have a data logger, 4 HDR sensors and a dedicated computer system... But in the mean time, I am guessing a heat gun, accurate enough for the purpose, maybe coupled with probe thermometers (most likely HDR) and I reckon you're accurate enough for the purposes of animal husbandry...

What do you think?

http://www.allqa.com/aqa1616.htm

There you go one quick google search found this

And I quote

"Here is the absolute latest in food safety temperature monitoring tools. This unit has a built-in RTD probe combined with a full-function IR thermometer."

Operating Range: -25 to 400°F (-30 to 200°C)

Accuracy within Operating Range: ±2°F (±1°C)

Accuracy: from +32°F (0°C) to 150°F (+65°C) is ±2°F (±1°C), then 1.5% of reading; below +32°F (0°C) add ± 0.1° per degree going lower

Probe Accuracy ±1.0°F (±0.5°C)

Repeatability: within accuracy specs of the unit

Response time: 500 milliseconds to reach 95% of true reading (IR); 5 seconds (probe)

Ambient Range: +32°F to 120°F (0 to +50°C)

Power: 9V Alkaline or NiCd battery

Dimensions:1.25 in x 6.5 in x 2 in, (32 mm x 165 mm x 51 mm ) Probe 3.5 in x 0.125 in (89 mm x 3 mm)

Weight: 227 g (0.5 lb) 320 gm (11 oz)

Display Resolution: 0.2°C or 0.2°F

Calibrated specifically for use in Food Safety and Quality Usage

7 Second Display Hold

LCD Backlight

Laser (Class II)

3 digit LCD Temperature Display

°C or °F selectable
Emissivity: Preset at 0.97
Use 2 in to 12 in to target; distanceratio 4:1
Supplied with with custom belt holster with snap flap cover

No matter if it is probe or IR its accurate to ± 0.5-1°C

NOTHING IS EVER 100% ACCURATE

Snowman this will be my final comment to you because I honestly feel you are one of those so-called adults to chucks a tanty every time they are proved wrong or don't get their own way.
And I am sure you are one of those people who feel IR are superior and give a more stable reading simply because of a decimal place. I'm not going to argue with someone who declines to realize that there are elements which will affect a reading with an IR gun. So have fun with your little gadget, I'm sure it works well for your coastals.

Mate I have no idea what you are on about. (and I have a feeling you dont even know what you are on about either!) I've never said IR are the most accurate temp recording devices in the world. Simply that they are far more than adequate for pet reptile keepers. It's interesting to note that in this thread none of your comments have a single 'like'. This is because no one agrees with you and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. This is reinforced by insinuating that I have coastals, when it's clear I live in WA. Do you think the Imbricata in my avitar is a costal?!!! :rolleyes: (*Tumbleweed quickly googles imbricata to learn what this is)....

I also dont understand your reference to decimal place? My probe thermometers have decimal place reading also. I have these in all my enclosures. But the reality is +/- 2°C is more than adequate for checking viv temps. You really do have some strange ideas. :shock:

Every post you make gets smashed by other forum users. Not because no one likes you, I doubt that anyone even knows you. But because your posts are always WRONG! It seems to be you who gets their knickers in a twist when you fail to comprehend basic husbandry or basic equipment like thermometers.
As a pet reptile keeper I keep an open mind. There is always something new to be learnt from other keepers and sometimes I am corrected about ideas I have that are wrong. This is why we are on the forums. The help each other and learn. I know people who have been keeping for 30+ years and they are still open to learning new things. This is what the hobby is all about.
If I were you I'd contact Admin and see if you can start over with a new alias. It's clear that tumbleweed will never be taken seriously and now has the reputation as a bit of a dumb a$$. Perhaps just sit back and learn for a year or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask why reptiles have to be temp checked with decimal places,all mine are happy at close enough.At the end of this thread what does the winner get,what's the prize,trip for two to Disneyland? At what stage does it come down to pecker size and does this part have to be in person?I have only had reptiles for over 10 years so I never will stop learning about new and old ideas,its all part of the experience....

I googled the sentry ST650 that junglepython2 suggested and it came up with 3 models, looks pretty adequate and Im sure you would still be able to use it as a rectal probe thermometer tumble, in fact I might even suggest you do...

Last edited:
OMG what a read.............

All I asked for was for a temp gun.......

Deadpan...I get it....close enough works for me too...the gun gives me a really good idea that things are on the right track if I want to double check

Elizabeth,in my non expert opinion I found the dual laser temp guns good because it gives you the right distance for the when the beams meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back