Bluey in a SE Qld petshop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha,u guys have to much faith in uv lights,they arent miracle lights,wont prevent mbd in a reptile fed a poor diet,dietry intake is of way more importance than even the best of the uv producing lights,no harm in using them,but no need to use them either,alot of
folk who use them have them to far away from the ground dwelling skinks to be of benefit anyways,lol

they dont need uv lighting,feed them right and they do just as well,someonementioned whole food diets for monitors and pythons means they dont need uv lighting,not all monitors devour adult rodents and birds,and on that thinking,do nocturnul geckoes eat adult rodents,birds ect,how the heck do they survive with out uv

to easy to blame lack of uv light as a cause of reptiles doing poorly due to other errors in husbandry,thats the easy way out

oh,hmmmm,i have a few skinks in there 20,s,that have devoured mostly dogfood there whole lives,they are in great shape and producing healthy babies pretty much annually,as are there babies that have grown into adults

i must have miracle lizards,as no uv lighting and the feeding of dogfood is classed as cruelty

seriously people,if u havnt tried it your self over many years,dont write it off

Last edited:
Blueys don't need UV.
Heat Rocks are bad though.
At least a basking lamp would have been good.

Umm, I beg to differ here Dihsmaj - Blue-Tongues are a DIURNAL animal... Diurnal animals NEED the UVA/B to convert the calcium in their diet to Vitamin D3....

Not that I mean to hijack your thread CR...

But would UV provided through the sun shining through a window into the room provide enough, if any?

Just curious.

In a word, no! Glass, plastic filters etc will prevent the necessary beneficial UVA/B reaching the captive animal inside...

Last edited by a moderator:
haha,u guys have to much faith in uv lights,they arent miracle lights,wont prevent mbd in a reptile fed a poor diet,dietry intake is of way more importance than even the best of the uv producing lights,no harm in using them,but no need to use them either,alot of
folk who use them have them to far away from the ground dwelling skinks to be of benefit anyways,lol

they dont need uv lighting,feed them right and they do just as well,someonementioned whole food diets for monitors and pythons means they dont need uv lighting,not all monitors devour adult rodents and birds,and on that thinking,do nocturnul geckoes eat adult rodents,birds ect,how the heck do they survive with out uv

to easy to blame lack of uv light as a cause of reptiles doing poorly due to other errors in husbandry,thats the easy way out

oh,hmmmm,i have a few skinks in there 20,s,that have devoured mostly dogfood there whole lives,they are in great shape and producing healthy babies pretty much annually,as are there babies that have grown into adults

i must have miracle lizards,as no uv lighting and the feeding of dogfood is classed as cruelty

seriously people,if u havnt tried it your self over many years,dont write it off

This x 100.If dietary needs are met along with correct heating then it is not needed.They do however provide a bit of insurance if the animals needs aren't being quite met.Don't forget some of us were keeping healthy reptiles long before there was any UV products available.

i have reported an adelaide petshop before for having a baby beardie that didn't have UV or a basking light....i'm great mates with adelaide fauna unit employees now and they do plain clothes inspections on the shop to make sure they are keeping within the standards....you can notify DERM and if they've had other complaints about the same shop then it will be enough to do an inspection....

Diurnal animals NEED the UVA/B to convert the calcium in their diet to Vitamin D3....

Except they don't. I wish people would learn this. Newbies are recommended to use a UV light because the odds of them giving their lizards correct parameters everywhere else isn't very high. I think people should understand why they do things the way they do, instead of just following a guideline and be done with it.

richardsc: I was the one who mentioned whole vertebrate prey, I also mentioned nocturnal animals as well as light averse species. I also mentioned "an examination of nutrition could possibly eliminate the necessity of UV"

However I would still personally maintain UV light is beneficial to certain species, artificial UV lights have limited application and natural sunlight is far superior which is my personal choice for a UV source.

Except they don't. I wish people would learn this. Newbies are recommended to use a UV light because the odds of them giving their lizards correct parameters everywhere else isn't very high. I think people should understand why they do things the way they do, instead of just following a guideline and be done with it.

Okay, if you feel your diurnal animals - which bask during the day underneath the sun (heat light AND UV) will do well without it, and you feel your husbandry, diet requirements etc are all perfect, go right ahead, rubbish those who provide it for their animals...

Yes, I do understand why these animals do what they do, I also understand HOW these animals do what they do... Yes, I will recommend all my new 'slaves' use UV on their diurnal animals, irrespective of if they are doing everything else perfectly, to maintain their animals' health...

Please, tell me, in YOUR own words, WHY does a diurnal animal bask in the sun... HOW does this diurnal animal utilise what it's "soaking up"... And WHY would they do this if they didn't NEED to??? Please explain???

I didn't say people shouldn't give their animals UV, and although it is beneficial, it just isn't necessary. The proof is multiple generations of blue tongues and monitors, etc that aren't given UV supplements and yet are still healthy and producing healthy babies. There are plenty of people who have and who vouch for the lack of need for UV- some of them have even spoken in this thread! Just ask them ;)

Not quite sure how this turned into an argument. It's fact that many diurnal lizards do very well without UV light. In saying that, of course pet stores should be providing it to their lizards because odds are they have no clue haha. I guess the point is people shouldn't say absolutes as fact, because there can be exceptions.

Last edited:
of course they need UV you clown all diurnal reptiles need UV.How the hell do you think they would survive without the SUN,obviously they need less heat than dragons for instance but still need the UV to digest their food.

You for real kid ?
Dont tell me you own any as i would hate to see your set up
Dont comment if you dont have an idea

whos the clown with no idea? they need heat (not uv) for digestion. as for uv requirements in any lizard school is still out on that one, as long as they are fed correct diet. do some research guys before running your mouths makes you look very......

Everything I have ever read about Blueys says that UV is needed. Are you telling me I have been missled by everyone? I have seen a blue tongue rescue and rehabititation centre where sick and injured blueys are all over the yard in low cardboard boxes in the sun and have seen the successful recovery of these beauties many of which where suffering from varying degrees of MBD through poor husbandry practices, mainly lack of UVB. Lizard school may very well be out in your opinion but I am convinced of the benefits of UV. UVB is required for the propper conversion of vit D3 therefore reducing the chance of MBD.

Some lizard species (including beardies and blueys) have a parietal eye which is a photosensitive organ on the top of their head, which is primarily utilized in the lizards thermoregulatory patterns.

What does this parietal eye look like in beardies? I've noticed a small, blue-ish dot in the middle of my beardie's head on the dorsal side and was wondering what the heck it is! Is it the parietal eye?

wow interesting reading, i never know about the parietal eye and have just googled it, when my boys awake im going to look for it to see it for myself in the mean time here is some information

yes i know its a 'yank site' but it is about the BD and the third eye

About Bearded Dragons - Dale's Bearded Dragons

I may have been a little heavy on dihsmaj calling him a clown when he may be a little uneducated.but I stand by my original claims that diurnal reptiles need UV to help digest their food,as UV provides vitamin D.Some people have stated that they have kept reptiles since before fancy UV lights existed and this is true;we kept them outside in the sun.I totally refute the idea that we can keep reptiles in darkened rooms and feed them some super food and this will make everything alright.Some people including lizard lady have backed up my "wrong" hypothesis with their own observations so obviously I am not some raving lunatic with crazy ideas but someone who is trying to bring some balance into the discussion and also try to help educate people who are new to herping.After all isn't this about helping other people rather than just putting **** on others as the health of our reptiles (not our ego)should be our number 1 concern

What does this parietal eye look like in beardies? I've noticed a small, blue-ish dot in the middle of my beardie's head on the dorsal side and was wondering what the heck it is! Is it the parietal eye?

Yes, it is a very small blueish dot located on the top of the head just behind the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back