Show us your RATLETS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ha ha, my girl looks like she has eaten a pear whole ;)
My other girl is still early so I am not sure if she is very fat still or is pregnant.

Edit - 8 Rittens were born yesterday morning - 18th, all are healthy, mum is feeding them and all seem to be about the same size, no runts :)

Edit 2 - 8 Rittens were born to our other mum today - 19th, again, all are healthy, mum is feeding them, no runts :)

Last edited:
this one is def too cute for the freezer!

Attachments

• blaze1.jpg
    blaze1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 51
  • blaze2.jpg
    blaze2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
  • blaze3.jpg
    blaze3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 59
ha ha, my girl looks like she has eaten a pear whole ;)
My other girl is still early so I am not sure if she is very fat still or is pregnant.

Edit - 8 Rittens were born yesterday morning - 18th, all are healthy, mum is feeding them and all seem to be about the same size, no runts :)

Edit 2 - 8 Rittens were born to our other mum today - 19th, again, all are healthy, mum is feeding them, no runts :)

They are all born the same-ish size, the fact that the mother has only 12 teats means that the first 12 that latch on, will hogg the teats and the remaining 7 will have to fight to drink, or go without.... this is when they become runts ;)

When I have huge litters, If I have another mother with less babies about the same size, I spread the babies around with other mothers. If I have no mothers with babies similar age, I sometimes split the babies into 2 groups and move the mother between them, or periodically remove the biggest, healthiest (7 in your case) so the weaker ones get to get a drink. I have also had success giving excess babies to a mother who has just weened and she will lactate again and care for the 'imports' :) Rats are very caring creatures to the young of the species..... if you put a baby in with a new mother.... she just cares for it like it is her own:)

They are all born the same-ish size, the fact that the mother has only 12 teats means that the first 12 that latch on, will hogg the teats and the remaining 7 will have to fight to drink, or go without.... this is when they become runts ;)

When I have huge litters, If I have another mother with less babies about the same size, I spread the babies around with other mothers. If I have no mothers with babies similar age, I sometimes split the babies into 2 groups and move the mother between them, or periodically remove the biggest, healthiest (7 in your case) so the weaker ones get to get a drink. I have also had success giving excess babies to a mother who has just weened and she will lactate again and care for the 'imports' :) Rats are very caring creatures to the young of the species..... if you put a baby in with a new mother.... she just cares for it like it is her own:)

They are both great mum's, both have their "nest boxes" with their bubba's in and they are all looking pretty cute :)
I tried to tell their gender but some are harder than others, I will just wait until they get fur and see if they have nipples :) The second lot of ritten's, it looks like there are more girls than boys, in the first litter, the opposite, I think there is only one female :/ Oh well, will wait and see :)

mouse-fight.jpg

^ Ha ha, love it :)

Got some pic's of my pup's today(yes I call them pups :p).

Litter 1 - 8 Pups, 3 female, 5 male - Mum is called Snow
Pups8.jpg

Litter 2 - 8 Pups, 6 female, 2 male - Mum is called Spark
Sparkpup4.jpg

I like how some of them make realy good parents and watch your every move.

Yea, but I found out the hard way that the mums tend to be very protective and bite (hard!) if you try to go near the babies :shock: not to mention they launch themselves great distances very suddenly to bite you too :shock:

Since a couple of bone deep bites, I always remove mum before touching the babies :lol:

I've never been bitten by a rat and none of my mums get defensive with their pups....I don't ever let them pay too much attention to my hands bur mums on babies I just give a little nudge and they generally move on and then I can pick the pups up and the mums dont do anything.

I only have a few protective mums but they are great mums so I'm not to fussed. They are never aggressive only if I bug them to much

Yea, I dont hold it against them.... they look really bewildered after they have bitten.... like to say "what did I do that for?":lol:

It is just thier wired in defense mechanism.... only some do it.... but I just separate any mum before tampering with bubs just in case ;)

My Bew had 10 babies tonight (wink wink David)
And also a verigated black berk had a litter of 9 tonight.

One of the mum's has made a massive ball of nest - made from newspaper, can't even see the pups, lol.

The other mum is currently suckling her pups, they are so cute :)
Took some pics will have to upload them later.

Got lots and lots of rat pups at the moment and grow out weaners.
Eeeppp!
Time to buy more tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back