Wild diamond with ticks??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was directed at me, I can say I would... but grudgingly :p I would happily take an injured reptile to the vet or wildlife carer. I guess what differs here is our opinion on what is injured.

IMO, you have done the right thing and you dont need to justify it. Showing a bit of compassion is what so many people lack. Hope the snake is looking healthier.

I say great job I would have done the same

I never said a visibly INJURED animal I said a SICK animal .... Cheers for all the support , I will update this later with how the diamonds going, have a good one everyone

The problem I have with this is that by doing what you have done, however well-meaning, you have disrupted the life of the snake in the middle of winter - a precarious time for any reptile.
Despite having 20 ticks aboard, it is likely that the animal was entirely healthy, and just out to catch a bit of sun, which is what Diamonds do throughout the winter. As has been said, ticks are a natural parasite, and 20 or more would be regarded as a fairly normal load for a biggish snake, especially in winter when the anumal isn't moving much, or shedding.

During the winter, the snake will have a small territory with which it will be very familiar - resting hollow or shelter not far from its basking site, and it will move between the two as it needs/wants to. Its movements will be precisely dictated by temps and sun availability, any it needs to be fully in control of each of those factors to ensure it remains in good health throughout the winter. Your well-intentioned intervention has removed the choices the animal can make.

Unless you return the snake at the optimum time of day, to EXACTLY the spot where you found it, it may not be able to find its secure hideaway to escape the cold night, and it may very well perish as a result of your intervention.

I'm sure you meant well, but there's a lesson here - by disrupting a natural pattern of behaviour at a critical time of year, you may very well ensure the death of the animal you were trying to "save."

Jamie

Ok everyone will be glad to hear I took the day off work took the diamond to the vet and with her help removed the remaining ticks , she has given the snake the once over and it's all ok so I will release it in the exact place I found it at the same time of day . I will let you all know how the release goes. Cheers BigBrad

Cared for a Diamond that once had 232 ticks, fed back up and into condition then was released back at the same horse feed shed it once guarded for the lovely swedish lady who called up concerned in the first place at Kangy Angy, NSW.

Diamond%20python%20that%20had%20232%20Ticks,%20Swedish%20lady%20at%20Kangy%20Angy_%20copy%20%28Large%29.jpg

Good job Peter although I must comment on your neatness.Look at how those buggers are neatly placed on the paper :lol:

Jesus Christ Gecko that's sad to look at , but I'd say that's one lucky snake Thanx to you great job bud. Ok boys and girls I think we will all be happy to know the diamond was released in the exact spot I picked it up and in no time slithered its way into a crevasse in a heap of rock at the end of the day I think we have a happier snake than yesterday, cheers everyone for your input . BigBrad

That's good news! It's rare to find a crevasse in NSW tho, even in winter - crevices are more common :)!

Jamie

They are certain loop holes which indicate you may take an injured animal...although this usually means to turn it over to the appropriate authority & not actually keeping it yourself (but every state is different).

It is a tough decision though, let nature take its course or help out?? I'd be hard pressed not to help :)

I'd do the exact same as you have done.
Ignore the nay-sayers.

I see no real difference to what you did and moving a snake off of the road, our wildlife need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
anyway, i sound like im having a rant but im just not bothering to write in a manner that doesnt make it sounds like im ranting, so i am sorry if i come across as harsh. im only contributing my two-cents as well, not having a further go at you. just having my say :) we need debates like these, as long as they stay polite and informative.

Anyway, glad to hear a happy ending.

...I don't see the point of removing a wild animal from it's home because it has a couple of natural parasites on it...

I was in similar situation the other day, on my backyard, when a family member who works for DERM / EPA and mentioned something on the lines of:

You're not to suppose to interfere with wildlife...

Even if you think you're helping!

(I'm guessing, like someone mentioned here before, you're messing with food chain, no?)

Not to mention it may be illegal in some states?

ie, I met a lady who rescues injured koalas from the wild and she said one needs a license to interfere with wild animals. - I'm guessing it's same for all animals?

Another question, an animal with ticks doesn't mean it's a sick animal, does it?

Some time ago, I watched DVD (perhaps Steve Erwin's) he says some ticks are malicious and others don't really affect the snake?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: ooops didn't realised by the time I had Internet available to publish my post, most were answered already.

Interesting thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back