Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but you cant get corals on the rock !! just algae lol

You can still put in some nice looking dead coral and some of the artificial ones these days look pretty cool ;)

Nice set ups! What got me into africans is the fact that you can make the tanks resemble marine ones if you're not keen on doing salt water lol.

Thanks mate.. Yeah I've seen some nice African setups that replicate saltwater tanks with fake corals etc but nothing compares to the real thing which is why I ended up biting the bullet and setting up two reef setups, the first was just a hit an miss tank but ended up running fairly well with a few deaths and a fair bit of research I had it running well so with a bit of confidence under my belt I got a bigger setup and went with a bit more expensive soft corals etc, I haven't added to much recently just a snowflake eel and some Koran angels..

That's the bigger setup..
.bigger reef setup 2.jpgbigger reef setup 3.jpgbigger reef setup.jpg

Hey Guys

Anyone used these lights?
DALUA SS Range – Dalua Australia

someone is selling one and suggests 2x 1ft units will be good for a 5ft tank and allow me to grow most corals. Sounds a bit too good to be true :O

I've never used that particular brand before but I do use the same sort of setups on my fresh setups.. What the lumeon rating?

If you got the money go these, far better spectrum rating and you'll be able to grow some of the more demanding corals.. LFS Direct - About LFS Direct

Edit- just realized the ratings on the link.

Last edited:
so I take it no good? I dont have that much to spare just want a light to test corals with before I go out and buy my main fixture ( Vertex Illumina ) I dont see the point in spending a few grand on a light then finding out I suck with coral! Plus I understand its better to add coral to a tank thats been running for a while.

Take it you use the Illumagic on your tank venom?

so I take it no good? I dont have that much to spare just want a light to test corals with before I go out and buy my main fixture ( Vertex Illumina ) I dont see the point in spending a few grand on a light then finding out I suck with coral! Plus I understand its better to add coral to a tank thats been running for a while.

Take it you use the Illumagic on your tank venom?

If you can get them for a good price get them an see how they go with some of the cheaper corals once you live rock is established and cycled, but keep in mind that lighting is one the main factors for good growth with corals.. If I was in your position and setting up another reef setup I'd be looking at a decent setup like the Vertex or illumagic if you go leds..

Na mate I'm running t5s on both my marine setups now but I'm going to change my smaller reef setup to illumagic c series and see how it goes with the change..

Thanks mate.. Yeah I've seen some nice African setups that replicate saltwater tanks with fake corals etc but nothing compares to the real thing which is why I ended up biting the bullet and setting up two reef setups, the first was just a hit an miss tank but ended up running fairly well with a few deaths and a fair bit of research I had it running well so with a bit of confidence under my belt I got a bigger setup and went with a bit more expensive soft corals etc, I haven't added to much recently just a snowflake eel and some Koran angels..

That looms awesome!

I still haven't given corals a go, just live rock with lions and eels.

Maybe one day lol.

If you can get them for a good price get them an see how they go with some of the cheaper corals once you live rock is established and cycled, but keep in mind that lighting is one the main factors for good growth with corals.. If I was in your position and setting up another reef setup I'd be looking at a decent setup like the Vertex or illumagic if you go leds..

Na mate I'm running t5s on both my marine setups now but I'm going to change my smaller reef setup to illumagic c series and see how it goes with the change..

Yeah the guy with it got SPS growing and some Dallas + others. after doing some reading on MASA seems the feedback on illumagic is not in favor for the price. But everyone says they are good units.

I Dont know, I think Maybe I will wait till I get everything setup then decide on lighting. biggest issue now is I am using a 7ft sump to run both tanks but seeing as I only want corals in one I think splitting the sump is smart then i dont have to dose so much for 2 tanks when coral will only be in one but this also means I need 2 skimmers more heaters etc etc. any suggestions? I dont know how much the dosing chemicals are so maybe its cheaper to just dose both the tanks.

Plus my sump has cracked for the 5th time xD think its time to buy a rubber tub or something.

Got some half decent shots tonight :)
Still need to work on timing so the tail and fins look better, more spread out.

3a6af4ac-a7d8-15cb.jpg

3a6af4ac-a7e3-b394.jpg

Terrible pics, dont show the colours at all :p

Very nice..

Some impressive stuff venomous..

^Definitely shopped.
haha
Wow this thread is nearly at 30 pages in just over three weeks.
Any other topic would most likely turned into a dung flinging exercise by now.
Keeping fish must be a very calming pastime.

With all the good info that's here you could probably turn this into a sticky

My little fish.
31b04286-4a60-b35e.jpg

He feeds out of my hand now,like a big gentle dog with teeth lol.

Thanks guys :).

Definitely not shopped, the pics actually don't show his colour well but I'm yet to take a pic that shows his colour and is clear as he moves so much whenever we look at him lol.

Looks nice Pinoy, how long have you had them?

I got him in December last year as an ugly little fry and he's changed so much!

This was him...
9-12-11
3a6af4ac-4d04-c7d9.jpg

6-1-12
3a6af4ac-4d1c-ad55.jpg

I love checking this thread :)
Nice flowerhorn Pinoy, i'm trying to find a nice one at the moment for my recently set up tank. Can anyone point me to a good online shop for cichlids? I have found a few but i'm not sure which ones are the more reputable companies.

Thanks :) I got mine from Perth, a mate of mine has some of the best in Australia at the momentand not too pricey ;). My one is a rubbish one compared to some of his.
It's very easy to get them sent over, no permits or anything required.
I can PM you some details if you're interested in getting from him?

There are also some breeders in NSW that I know who have some very nice stock as well.

Thanks for the offer but I would prefer to get one a bit closer to home;)
Yours is lovely but I know what you mean, some of the nicer ones definately have a price tag to match.
Nice MatE :)

No worries, have a look for "flowerhorn fun". It's a forum my mate started and they have some nice stuff in the classifieds there, some from Sydney ;)

If you buy from a good breeder, you can get away with buying a fry for cheap and hope he turns out awesome like mine did lol.

If you can find it, let me know, I'll PM you a link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back