Shedding drama :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rango

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all my olive has shed all but his head, have sprayed his take and soaked him.. But unless his head stays under( breathing problems foreseeable!!) I'm not sure if it will help.. Wondering if there are any tricks.. Haven't tried holding him and rubbing or anything if that's an option what's the best way to keep stress levels down for both of us? :)

There's tonnes of useful threads about shedding :) just search for them up in the right top hand corner. He will shed/rub the rest of the skin off eventually no matter what "tricks" you use. All the best!

Jaye

a thin layer of paw paw ointment works wonders in removing stubborn sheds,....

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I try the search function a lot but doesn't seen to come up with what I want, I can only use my phone for the forum.. It only found one thread with the word shed in it.. So that's why I asked, thanks though :)

Quoted from my local herp vet Debbie Monks, a little olive oil is fine too.

warm water, rough skin on fingers and pin the monster down. Dont be afraid to apply a little pressure Not to much tho) to the skin when you pull on it. There is no easy way around it just keep at it til it's done

as long as the eye scales and the tial peice is gone i dont bother with any left over bits of shed ... it comes off on the next shed.

Put the snake in a wet pillow case for a while and it will more than likely remove the retained skin/shed itself

Quoted from my local herp vet Debbie Monks, a little olive oil is fine too.

Sorry but this info is wrong, wrong, wrong. Oil of any sort forms a waterproof barrier and prevents moisture from getting in and doing its job. The snake has shedding problems because it has dried out and the natural water-based lubricating layer has become a sort of glue. Water is the only thing which will help restore the moisture into the skin, allow it to soften and eventually come free. Anything that forms a barrier to prevent water from getting in to do its job will just make the job harder.

Water-based creams won't do any harm, but by far the best way of getting stubborn skin to come off is soaking, and you can leave most pythons in water for a couple of days without any harm, in fact large Olives can spend a large part of their adult lives in & around water. Soak it for a few hours then just try to peel the skin off - it will probably come loose around the edge by that time anyway.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back