Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 to flowerhorn fun. cichlid direct has some they ship to your front door. I know they have a kamfa otherwise best bet is track down a breeder or get one shipped over.

Pinoy does your friend do air port shipping or front door? Id be keen but I cant drive doh!

Nice jack also! How bigs he? Wish mine would eat out of my hands u put a prawn in front of the tank and waters going every where go to put it in and his smashing into the cover glass lol.

View attachment 257386

One of my toga with mates

He's 2kg+,he has grown out of the smash and grab phase lol.I've got him in a 1100liter aquaculture tank.He has bitten to holes in it chasing mullet around at night.Winter has set in so he's slowed quite a bit.

Sent from someone who tries to care.

Personally I dont like flowerhorn's but as I said that is a pretty amazing fish. What are the price differences from getting it as a fry, small fish, large fish (of good quality)?

Yeah the guy with it got SPS growing and some Dallas + others. after doing some reading on MASA seems the feedback on illumagic is not in favor for the price. But everyone says they are good units.

I Dont know, I think Maybe I will wait till I get everything setup then decide on lighting. biggest issue now is I am using a 7ft sump to run both tanks but seeing as I only want corals in one I think splitting the sump is smart then i dont have to dose so much for 2 tanks when coral will only be in one but this also means I need 2 skimmers more heaters etc etc. any suggestions? I dont know how much the dosing chemicals are so maybe its cheaper to just dose both the tanks.

Plus my sump has cracked for the 5th time xD think its time to buy a rubber tub or something.

yeah if the guy your getting them of has had good results with them give them a try, I'm waiting for a mate's dad to get a shipment in of the new series from illumagic with the inbuilt timers and a few other things there first series they brought out didn't have and I get them bulk price so take a few $100 of the price.

I've never run doubles of the one sump so I can't really help you there mate what works give it a go an see how it goes .. I'm guessing your going a predator tank and a reef tank?

My little fish.
31b04286-4a60-b35e.jpg

He feeds out of my hand now,like a big gentle dog with teeth lol.

Nice jack how big is it?

I love checking this thread :)
Nice flowerhorn Pinoy, i'm trying to find a nice one at the moment for my recently set up tank. Can anyone point me to a good online shop for cichlids? I have found a few but i'm not sure which ones are the more reputable companies.

Are you looking for flowerhorns specifically or any type of cichlid?

Personally I dont like flowerhorn's but as I said that is a pretty amazing fish. What are the price differences from getting it as a fry, small fish, large fish (of good quality)?

Same boat as you mate, not a big fan of hybrids.

Last edited:
Hybrids :( you dont like discus? :p

I like flowerhorns I think the colors are great they are like a big discus/oscar with a bit of red devil lol.

price difference depends on strain, its like discus I guess. Some flowerhorns are 5$ small others are 400$ when big I have seen some go for a grand + each! bit like those king kong shrimp 1.5k each little bloody shrimp lol.

Jacks almost as big as mine :D they are great fish personally love them much more then saratogas. Mine used to be in with oscars work fine else the oscars tried to fight him for food they ended up as food but his rather relaxed most the time. I hope he makes it to the 3ft mark. My LFS has one at 3ft in a tub like yours but marine his a beast.

As for the lights, I will most likely take it. I have sourced a better light for the same price just worried if I get the different unit it will look weird lighting wise. Think I will skip on splitting the sump way i see it is the dosing can be done much cheaper over the period of 5 years then running 2 skimmers 2 pumps etc + start up costs. Sourced a red sea C skim 1800 which can run both the tanks also.

One I want to go with tangs and angels + the coral. Other thinking predator Lions or that big angel ( I will remember the name soon). its more the fact I have these 2 starphire tanks sitting outside drilled collecting dirt and a 7ft sump sitting outside doing the same. May as well use them.

I have an aquarium I think you should go to Jesse.. Its in St Kilda..

Address me :D Can go this weekend lol its not the st kilda aquarium is it?

Last edited:
Yes it is, Aqueus. I was thinking about heading down today but dont think Id make it in time. Barkley st.

Have you been to subscape or whatever its called in Richmond?

Last edited:
Nah might go there this weekend mate needs some c02 stuff. I hear its good I am more interested in the shop near it apparently he has RTC DING DING! :D

I can't belive this thread is at 30 pages!!!! :D I love all the pics and the info people have put on.

Hybrids :( you dont like discus? :p

I like flowerhorns I think the colors are great they are like a big discus/oscar with a bit of red devil lol.

price difference depends on strain, its like discus I guess. Some flowerhorns are 5$ small others are 400$ when big I have seen some go for a grand + each! bit like those king kong shrimp 1.5k each little bloody shrimp lol.

Jacks almost as big as mine :D they are great fish personally love them much more then saratogas. Mine used to be in with oscars work fine else the oscars tried to fight him for food they ended up as food but his rather relaxed most the time. I hope he makes it to the 3ft mark. My LFS has one at 3ft in a tub like yours but marine his a beast.

As for the lights, I will most likely take it. I have sourced a better light for the same price just worried if I get the different unit it will look weird lighting wise. Think I will skip on splitting the sump way i see it is the dosing can be done much cheaper over the period of 5 years then running 2 skimmers 2 pumps etc + start up costs. Sourced a red sea C skim 1800 which can run both the tanks also.

One I want to go with tangs and angels + the coral. Other thinking predator Lions or that big angel ( I will remember the name soon). its more the fact I have these 2 starphire tanks sitting outside drilled collecting dirt and a 7ft sump sitting outside doing the same. May as well use them.

Nope not a big fan of discus either lol I like my marine,Afircans,bigger natives like barra,togas,jacks,murray cod and some of new world cichlids like terrors,devils,jags,oscars,dempsey and peacock bass.. The ultimate for me will be a black tip reef shark tank but I'll need to move out of home an find the room before for a big enough tank before that happens..

Just had a quick look at the review on the red sea C skim 1800 looks like a good unit on paper, are you going to run a UV sterilizer?

Nice choice just make sure the fish you get are compatible with each other an you should be sweet. Lions are sick go for a pair for sure..

I'm looking for somewhere that sells all type of cichlids online, & flowerhorns too if possible

Australian Pet Link : Classifieds : Fish and Aquarium : Fish and Aquatic Livestock

You'll find some guys on there that are into there fish and you'll get good advice and top deals of the right people.

Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts Forum

That's a good forum based a bit like this one that has all the info you need and has a classifieds section that you'll find some good deals on..

Majestic Aquariums - Sydney’s leading aquarium retailers online, Australia wide!

If you want quality and no worried about the price tag check majestics out one of the best aquarium if not the best.. If your ever near Tarren point go check them out they have some quality show tanks going that will blow you away.

Livefish.com.au - Australia's aquarium fish home delivery experts!

I've bought of these guys a few times and they always send me quality, if your wanting a few fish buy at once as shipping will be same price no matter how many you get.

Didn't realize you post this lol my bad.

I can't belive this thread is at 30 pages!!!! :D I love all the pics and the info people have put on.

Come on mate it's 31 get with the times lol

Last edited:
Nah might go there this weekend mate needs some c02 stuff. I hear its good I am more interested in the shop near it apparently he has RTC DING DING! :D

Which shop near it? They are kind of weird to talk to when you first go there but damn between them they know their stuff! Im sure they can get you one (good quality) if you want. They are also big on the c02 stuff and planted tanks as well as not bad with sw as well. Very much worth it. If I buy any fish (not private) I always go there, the only time I have ever seen sick ones they were quarantined and not for sale. I bought my wild caught oscar there and they didnt want to sell it to me because it was having issues with feeding and stress (totally neurotic fish). I have it now but it has been a lot of work but its one of my favourites. Totally different behaviour to the captive bred I have.

well I will have some picture updates of the room soon that will chuck it to 33 pages most likely XD

I hate petlink reading it gives me a headache!

Same taste as me kind of =P I almost brought a black tip reef shark then i googled it and found out how big they get bahahah. I think my dream is a orca tank or dolphins, you guys know me I dream big haha. a huge 2000G maintenance free reef tank is up there also.

Yes it has good feed back, the cleaning method seems nice but all the feedback is positive. no UV I dislike UVs the fish never build and immune system and to get them to kill most harmful bugs you need a strong unit. I believe a QT system and healthy water perms are the best way to go. Not saying they are bad I know they work well but theres just the down side of having weak fish.

Yeah I am thinking of something like this also.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNS...AAKG0/0s14O8by3xo/s400/Blueface+Angelfish.jpg

http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/angel_imperator_090427b_w0440.jpg

Theres another one but I cant find it!

What do you use in your marine sump venom? Mud? Micro? Live rock? have to build mine!

Im not a huge fan of the discus either mate, next two tanks are a small native and african cichlids. I appreciate them but they are not my thing.

I want to knock out the wall between living room and kitchen and put a tank in but the idea didnt go down well with the mrs. "If we sell the house no one will want it, its too much of a specific niche" I tuned out after that.

Which shop near it? They are kind of weird to talk to when you first go there but damn between them they know their stuff! Im sure they can get you one (good quality) if you want. They are also big on the c02 stuff and planted tanks as well as not bad with sw as well. Very much worth it. If I buy any fish (not private) I always go there, the only time I have ever seen sick ones they were quarantined and not for sale. I bought my wild caught oscar there and they didnt want to sell it to me because it was having issues with feeding and stress (totally neurotic fish). I have it now but it has been a lot of work but its one of my favourites. Totally different behaviour to the captive bred I have.

is this subscape? sounds good. yeah we are going for a C02 Pro system complete. Not 100% how near still awaiting address but apparently its walking distance. Would be nice if they had a wild pair of red terror =D any pictures of this oscar? My friend has a F1 oscar The colors are quite different I must say. More the pattern and shades.

The other saltwater fish is Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris), Id love this with lion if it would work or in the other tank. I understand they get big but I have been told It can last 2-3 years in a 4x2x2 with other fish before a big tank. knowing me by then I will have some huge salt water setups going.

Im not a huge fan of the discus either mate, next two tanks are a small native and african cichlids. I appreciate them but they are not my thing.

I want to knock out the wall between living room and kitchen and put a tank in but the idea didnt go down well with the mrs. "If we sell the house no one will want it, its too much of a specific niche" I tuned out after that.

Theres a guy on MASA whos selling his house with a 200G SW tank in the wall, must have some value for the company to list it haha. do it :D I am free this weekend haha.

I think discus are great to look at etc if I had only one tank it wouldn't be discus thats for sure but I do love them. I moved my bed right in front of there tank and I must say its lovely falling asleep to them and brancos doing there thing. if they only had some balls and weren't such chicken shi*ts

Last edited:
Ill take a pic now if he isnt still sulking (did tanks today)

Nope he is sulking, hiding and showing diff colours. Ill get one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Man this is an awesome thread, been through all 31 pages and seen some awesome tanks but it makes me wonder and I hope you don't mind me asking but how much are your water and electricity bills and just roughly the costs of maintaining all the tanks and fish.

sounds like oscars. little cry babies ! haha

Water, I pay around 250 per a quarter, but this bill was only 100$ (dont change all the water at once so the past bills have been fill up costs) also have a pool. The service charge is the worst part imo.

Electricity in winter my room uses about 200-250 per a month but with insulation it has dropped. in summer its 60$ I disconnect all the heaters so its just filters which are all around 20W + my 2 sumps. But I have a lot more tanks then your normal joe so I am not a good example to work off haha.

Summer is worse for electricity for me. Spending over $10 per day to run aircons to stop my tanks overheating. Doesn't bother me but my next house will be better setup for fishtanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back